Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Why haven't you seen this yet?

Raja

Sigh - doesn't sound like a good enviorment to work in

Over 100 people left the project because they couldn’t take it anymore. But a lot stayed on just so they could make sure their work survived until the end — because if it gets changed, it’s no longer yours. I know people who were on the project for over a year who left, and now they have little to show for it because everything was changed. They went through the hell of the production and then got none of their work coming out the other side.

42 minutes ago, Raja said:

Sigh - doesn't sound like a good enviorment to work in

From the article: 'Four of these crew members agreed to speak pseudonymously about the sprint to finish the movie three years into the sequel’s development and production, a period whose franticness they attribute to Lord’s management style — in particular, his seeming inability to conceptualize 3-D animation during the early planning stages and his preference to edit fully rendered work instead.' emphasis mine

Big problem. 

Also, the article seems to credit Lord and Miller with the visual style, but I can guarantee you it was the previz, storyboard, and layout artists-- and the OG Directors of Into the Spiderverse.

Edited by JGP

Miller and Lord are basically very undisciplined and they keep running into these issues. 

And yeah, Alberto Mielgo and his previz team created the visual design language of the first film. The sequel is obviously following on that.

Edited by Ran

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh wow they did change directors. Why?

there are three directors listed. I wonder how that works. Why can they do that with animation?

A lot of moving parts to oversee. We had two directors on the animated movie I worked on, and two is almost the norm [for traditional animation] Plus, you know, unlike conventional film where most of the artists are the on-camera talent, except for department administration staff, in animation you're dealing pretty much entirely with artists. Not quite like herding cats, but not too far off. 

Edited by JGP

2 hours ago, JGP said:

A lot of moving parts to oversee. We had two directors on the animated movie I worked on, and two is almost the norm [for traditional animation] Plus, you know, unlike conventional film where most of the artists are the on-camera talent, except for department administration staff, in animation you're dealing pretty much entirely with artists. Not quite like herding cats, but not too far off. 

Allow me to rephrase: what are there three credited directors on this film?

The DGA has pretty strict rules about who can be credited and why. Zack Snyder got sole directing credit on Justice League 2017 because he’d completed more than 90% of principal photography. Lord and Miller didn’t get directing credit on Solo because they didn’t. And in instances where there’s more than one director credited, (eg The Russos, The Wachowskis) it’s because that pair is registered as “that pair” with the DGA.

Or something.

Why are there three, you mean? They're working in collaboration, dude, not different stages. Animation is a completely different beast.

Edited by JGP

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The DGA has pretty strict rules about who can be credited and why. Zack Snyder got sole directing credit on Justice League 2017 because he’d completed more than 90% of principal photography. Lord and Miller didn’t get directing credit on Solo because they didn’t. And in instances where there’s more than one director credited, (eg The Russos, The Wachowskis) it’s because that pair is registered as “that pair” with the DGA.

From this Den of Geek article:

Loathe to awarding joint credits, the DGA guidelines state that only one filmmaker can be credited with a film. This can be waived by directing teams, such as Joel and Ethan Coen, Joe and Anthony Russo, or Lana and Lilly Wachowski, or in any case where all parties are satisfied that the filmmakers share a common vision. ..

Animated films generally tend to waive the rules quite often too. Directing teams are much more commonplace than in live-action films, in part because of the extra work entailed, but the larger timescale on which animation is produced allows for cleaner changes of director too.

In recent years, computer-animated movies have seemed to change hands quite often, with no arbitration over the previous one. It’s happened on a couple of Pixar films, including Ratatouille and The Good Dinosaur. A notable exception to this was Brave, where Mark Andrews took over when The Prince of Egypt’s Brenda Chapman walked away during development, but the pair were rightly co-credited on the finished film.

Basically they take so long to make and are so complicated that directors just happily hand them off one to another and share the credit for the final product.

38 minutes ago, Ran said:

From this Den of Geek article:

Basically they take so long to make and are so complicated that directors just happily hand them off one to another and share the credit for the final product.

True. 

Also, you got inhouse animation departments you have to manage, all the sequences outsourced to other animation houses [often overseas, requiring oversight there] someone savvy to liaise with the executives, etc. So in principle yes they're kinda similar, but animation is not like conventional film making.

Edited by JGP

Saw it last night with the whole family. Some observations:

- the theater was literally full and had people dressing up in cosplay.  That's pretty remarkable for something 3 weeks out.

- it's a bit too long and feels slow at points 

- spot isn't that compelling an antagonist especially compared to kingpin, but Miguel makes up for that in spades 

- earth 42's mom has different eye color and miles doesn't notice, the asshole

- genuinely the best superhero series of all time and if they can stick the landing one of the best trilogies of all time

Finally saw it today and loved it.

I had very studiously kept myself unspoiled, so I had no clue it would be a two parter.

Loved the clips of both the Garfield and Maguire Spider films.  Liked Donald Glover’s cameo (we think he’s the same character as in Homecoming???) and the quip about Dr Strange and that nerd. :lol:  Also appreciated the appearance of the “Insomniac” SpiderMan from the recent games.

Just so much visual style and sound.  A fun movie all around.

Found spot to be miles ( I'm sorry) ahead of Kingpin as an antagonist, imo. With kingpin, he was just some guy ( though his motivations obviously made sense)

Edited by Raja

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Loved the clips of both the Garfield and Maguire Spider films.  Liked Donald Glover’s cameo (we think he’s the same character as in Homecoming???) and the quip about Dr Strange and that nerd. :lol:  Also appreciated the appearance of the “Insomniac” SpiderMan from the recent games.

Donald Glover played the person who becomes the Prowler most of the time. And he even name-drops Miles in homecoming.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Found spot to be miles ( I'm sorry) ahead of Kingpin as an antagonist, imo. With kingpin, he was just some guy ( though his motivations obviously made sense)

Eh. I get Spot being really pissed off at Miles - though it definitely didn't come off that way early on, it felt more like he was just reaching for it - but I don't get why he would decide to become this multiversal villain given that. Or heck, why he needs to be a villain at all. With Kingpin I get entirely what he wants to do and why and how it benefits him. But Spot's absolute glowing hatred of Miles seems...weird. It didn't land for me as well. Maybe it's that Jason Schwarzmann sounds so fucking whiny and entitled all the time that when he emotionally rages I just check out of it.

Miles-as-prowler I felt a lot more. 

On 6/26/2023 at 1:37 AM, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Eh. I get Spot being really pissed off at Miles - though it definitely didn't come off that way early on, it felt more like he was just reaching for it - but I don't get why he would decide to become this multiversal villain given that. Or heck, why he needs to be a villain at all. With Kingpin I get entirely what he wants to do and why and how it benefits him.

I don't actually disagree with any of this. I think the movie suffers from losing Spot for the middle bit, and I also agree that I quite like Miguel has an antagonist. I guess for me kingpin never really seemed like that much better even though his motivations are quite clear. It seemed less personal with kingpin so perhaps that's why it didn't land for me.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting the thread as I finally got around to seeing this. Visually still spectacular, and they did some really inventive mixing of art styles (particularly Spider-Punk). It felt a bit saggier than the first film, though, and I'm not sure its cliffhanger point was the best choice. It could probably have been tightened up a bit to improve pacing. It doesn't quite connect with me on an emotional level as well as the first film did, but Miles's escape from the Spider-Men and Miguel was pretty strong.

Really loved how prominent Gwen was in this film, and enjoyed seeing Miguel O'Hara (aka Spider-Man 2099 -- I had the #1 of that comic, published almost 31 years ago!). Ben Reilly, the Scarlet Spider, was pretty funny as they poked fun at 90s grim-darkish superhero histrionics. 

• 2 months later...

Finally watched this since it dropped on Netflix. Visually stunning, and I'm here for wherever the story takes us in Volume 3. Not sure why the Inspector Singh canon event had to occur in Mumbai of all places, but that was a cool extended sequence as well. At any rate, feel like there is going to be some tragedy happening at the end of it all....just not sure what.