Old Nan's Tales Source of Infinite Wisdom or Just Full of it?

Corvo the Crow

My mother was a storyteller.  She left home very young.  Too young to leave home at any rate.  She made up stories to give her children history we didn't have.  She told us the song Hey Jude was written for my Aunt and the song Everyone Knows It's Wendy was about my Mom because she was a very famous movie star before she had children? :rolleyes:  

Old Nan is an affiliate Stark.  She nurses the babes and cares for the children.  She gives them their histories from family to household to culture to land.  We don't know where Old Nan comes from.  Maybe she's Dornish or Tyroshi or just a Northern lass with no family of her own assimilated into the love and lore of the Starks and their place.  Her place.  

I think Old Nan is a student of Northern and Stark history and makes it her business to ensure that every child in her care understands the importance of their place in the landscape of the North.  Just as my mom collected songs on the radio to relate to my young life and people, Old Nan relates legends and histories to the children on a personal level.  She makes them understand that this is their story, responsibility and stewardship.  She is their link to distant pasts that might otherwise be lost in time.

Because Old Nan fuels these tales and keeps them alive Bran is able to open himself to the possibility of the The Children of the Forest.  Jon can believe there was a Long Night.  Rickon may have heard a tale or 2 about direwolves and unicorns.  Arya can draw on Nan's tales about fierce warriors for her survival and Sansa no doubt heard her very first love story from her. 

Are the tales true?  Certainly some are.  Given the importance of the Starks in this story, more or are likely true than not.  Embellished to entertain in the moment, with love and devotion to the meaning of being a Stark. 

Her tales are tales, not factual accounts of history, but they are all full of truth and wisdom.

Old Nan is a Targaryen, Aemon’s sister if I had to guess.

"Dragons," she said, lifting her head and sniffing. She was near blind and could not see the comet, yet she claimed she could smell it. "It be dragons, boy," she insisted. Bran got no princes from Nan, no more than he ever had.

Compare that to Aemon:

"I see them in my dreams, Sam. I see a red star bleeding in the sky. I still remember red. I see their shadows on the snow, hear the crack of leathern wings, feel their hot breath. My brothers dreamed of dragons too, and the dreams killed them, every one. Sam, we tremble on the cusp of half-remembered prophecies, of wonders and terrors that no man now living could hope to comprehend . . . or . . ."

Edited by Mourning Star

30 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

Her tales are tales, not factual accounts of history, but they are all full of truth and wisdom.

But there are Others and COTF and Direwolves and Giants.  Maybe I just don't understand?  Do you mean like yes there are Others, but they didn't ride giant ice spiders?  What am I not getting here?  

20 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

But there are Others and COTF and Direwolves and Giants.  Maybe I just don't understand?  Do you mean like yes there are Others, but they didn't ride giant ice spiders?  What am I not getting here?  

We don’t know if there were really ice spiders or not. We do know Others and Children exist.

Every detail of a story doesn’t need to be true for there to be truth behind the myth.

Cleftjaw is a nice example, fearsome raider, big nasty scar, didn’t literally put his head back together.

51 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

We don’t know if there were really ice spiders or not. We do know Others and Children exist.

Every detail of a story doesn’t need to be true for there to be truth behind the myth.

Cleftjaw is a nice example, fearsome raider, big nasty scar, didn’t literally put his head back together.

Ah, got it.  Thank you. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/25/2023 at 1:27 AM, LongRider said:

Old Nan must have really scared Jon with the ice spiders bit as they appeared in the nightmare he had about fighting off the dead climbing up the Wall.  They do sound pretty creepy. 

Has anyone else seen the art for the 2024 calendar with the Others having ice spider legs, rather than riding the spiders? I love this look, reminds me of Gremlins 2  B)

1 hour ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Has anyone else seen the art for the 2024 calendar with the Others having ice spider legs, rather than riding the spiders? I love this look, reminds me of Gremlins 2  B)

I've seen them.  Ice mutants!  Aiyeeeee!  Run!

• 2 weeks later...

Her story about them all living inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant named Macumber... "Maybe we do."

It does, as anyone familiar with Norse mythology might certainly know, and I am Swedish and the North RemembersTM, resemble the tale of the giant Ymer, who was killed by the first god, Bore if I don't misremember, and then his head and/or body was made into the world, with his hairs being the trees, his blood becoming the sea and rivers and so forth... 

Also her stories of the Long Night certainly seem true when we find out about the Others and prophecies later in the story.