Diablo 4 - Hellish Grind

Relic

Aftter a few Helltides and a world boss, ive got item level 700 gear and the Harrogath chest on my barb. Level 52 nd fucking melting everything in sight. No way i could have done this on my sorc. Barbs are OP

Barbs are incredibly weak compared to druids and necros.

Sorcs do have it tough though. With resists basically being worthless because of how they designed the game, and things like hydra getting nerfed into the ground because of level 25 twink bullshit, Blizzard really shit the bed there.

Not particularly germane, but there's a pretty amusing YouTube of a Thorn Barb wrecking people in PvP, Sorcs and Druids included.

Two, two, Grandfather's have dropped. That rate is silly.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Aftter a few Helltides and a world boss, ive got item level 700 gear and the Harrogath chest on my barb. Level 52 nd fucking melting everything in sight. No way i could have done this on my sorc. Barbs are OP

The problem is it doesn't seem like items scale up much afterwards. My druid is 67 and I don't find much over 700 and it's almost always worse than the things I have.

18 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Barbs are incredibly weak compared to druids and necros.

Necros are suppose to be the worst late game toon. But I still want to try one. I'll probably make one along with a sorc and rouge soon. It's good to have one of each class.

6 minutes ago, JGP said:

Not particularly germane, but there's a pretty amusing YouTube of a Thorn Barb wrecking people in PvP, Sorcs and Druids included.

PvP is the best part about D2, but they need to clean this one up a bit. I'll be fighting a boss and a few people will jump me and I die instantly. Old PvP had rules FFS. You'd agree to fight.

Two, two, Grandfather's have dropped. That rate is silly.

Politely, fuck you.  

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The problem is it doesn't seem like items scale up much afterwards. My druid is 67 and I don't find much over 700 and it's almost always worse than the things I have.

Item power after 800 gets scarce. My sorc's highest IP bit og loot is like 814 at level 86. Its more about cobbling together gear from multiple pieces, using enchantments and ripping aspects.

Edited by Relic

21 minutes ago, Relic said:

Item power after 800 gets scarce. My sorc's highest IP bit og loot is like 814. Its more about cobbling together gear from multiple pieces, using enchantments and ripping aspects.

Yup. If memory serves anything over ilvl 750 is in the best roll bracket for stats. Unless you're a min/max twink, having gear over 800 ilvl doesn't really matter [much] except for a bit more juice on upgrades. Weapon dmg though, over 750, that matters. My 834 2h Sword's top end dmg is 3400+, considerably stronger than the 812 I had before. 

edit: just checked, adjusted 2H dmg for accuracy

Edited by JGP

59 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

With resists basically being worthless because of how they designed the game...

What do you mean by this, Soy? Not working as intended? Is that why some players are socketing Skulls in their jewelry instead of Diamonds?

24 minutes ago, JGP said:

No, I meant two have dropped in the world haha [two known drops, anyway]

Well then also politely, my bad. :P

23 minutes ago, Relic said:

Item power after 800 gets scarce. My sorc's highest IP bit og loot is like 814 at level 86. Its more about cobbling together gear from multiple pieces, using enchantments and ripping aspects.

I was looking at my step-brother's gear and it was a bummer that at 91 his shit wasn't that much higher than mine at 65. Better roles, but I hoped his stuff would be over 1,000. Once Blizzard starts making adjustments that one of the things they need to correct. 

And give me fucking set gear you bums. 

725 is the last item power breakpoint atm so anything above that is fine. The only thing you’re missing is armor which other than pants or chest isn’t that significant. Weapon item power does matter a lot though and it’s been a struggle to find 800 item power items with the correct affixes. My two swords are I think 770ish. Getting 820 ones would be a massive upgrade.

12 minutes ago, JGP said:

What do you mean by this, Soy? Not working as intended? Is that why some players are socketing Skulls in their jewelry instead of Diamonds?

Basically, because they decided that difficulties 3 and 4 would have a resistance penalty, and because armour already accounts for like 50% of your resistance totals anyway, resistances are worthless stats as it stands. Blizzard have said that they're going to try to fix things, but that's probably not something they can rush.

Try not to have any resistances on any gear as it's a wasted stat. (Rings and amulets come with them automatically, of course.) For now, armour is king. Skulls all the way!

7 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Basically, because they decided that difficulties 3 and 4 would have a resistance penalty, and because armour already accounts for like 50% of your resistance totals anyway, resistances are worthless stats as it stands. Blizzard have said that they're going to try to fix things, but that's probably not something they can rush.

Try not to have any resistances on any gear as it's a wasted stat. (Rings and amulets come with them automatically, of course.) For now, armour is king. Skulls all the way!

Hot damn. 

I expect things like resistances vs armor and damage buckets to both be fixed at some point. Right now vulnerable/crit/crit damage are just head and shoulders above anything else for damage.

Edited by Arakasi

4 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

I expect things like resistances vs armor and damage buckets to both be fixed at some point. Right now vulnerable/crit/crit damage are just head and shoulders above anything else for damage.

Truth.

+% [x] on Stun is pretty damned hot too though. I got a perfect roll Aspect for that sitting in my inventory all lonely and shit, pining for the right piece of gear.

Edited by JGP

Yeah I’m curious how they’d do it. My guess is vulnerable for sure gets put into additive with things like close/distant/etc. Crit is harder but maybe they just devalue crit strike damage even more. You can only get crit chance on 3 pieces of gear (gloves and rings) which should limit things but there are too many classes and such that can effectively get 50-100% crit through aspects and class choices. So my guess is vulnerable moved to additive (or devalued) and crit strike damage definitely devalued.

Yeah, I don't know. I could see Blizz nerfing crit Aspects, abilities. and passives before devaluing the actual stat.

My build crowd controls everything I hit or hits me, so I lean toward that [ie: socketed weapon jewels] Vulnerable, and Stun. Considering all the new/different mods in DIV, yeah, gearing is no joke compared to II and III. Added a whole bunch of numbers to the lottery ticket.

edit: can't type this morning

Edited by JGP

I think it would be nice if the system had some thing that stacking a certain stat is advantageous but you get to choose the stat more. Right now that stat is just vulnerable or crit dmg. Maybe move things to additive but have some bonuses on types of damage if you get a certain number. Say your attacks can cleave if you have enough close dmg bonuses. Stuff like that.

From what I can see their problem is the disparity between additive and multiplicative effects [so we're prolly not too far apart there]

Balance is tough and people are clever, but you can't have shit like HotA Barbs performing so much higher than everyone else. That's going to get nerfed.

Edited by JGP

Case in point [solely related to pvp mind] see below. They're owning pretty much everyone [also being smart in how they use defensives and luring other payers toward packs of mobs for AOE Thorns] but toward the end they run into a couple HotA Barbs and get wrecked.

Don't care too much about pvp on Diablo. Skillcap will never be high [much less a requisite] to kill other players in games like this.  

Edited by JGP

Well I don’t think the ideal solution is to just have everything be additive. Then you just have more stats that are all interchangeable. Right now for most classes you have that with cc dmg, core damage and close damage. I think to have those stats be more meaningful they have to be useful on their own. Maybe even something like have paragon board secondary bonuses for rare nodes tied to that instead of stats. 

Edited by Arakasi