What if instead of marrying Cassana Estermont, Steffon Baratheon had married Genna Lannister?

zajaz

I just remembered that these two were born almost a year apart, and that got me wondering how much things would have changed if they had married and had kids. Obviously, if they had at least one daughter, then Rhaegar would (probably) have married her... but what if they only had sons much like in canon (Steffon had three, while Genna has four)? Would things really be that much different, then?

Well based on the books all the sons and daughters will be dark haired

Lets say everything else stays the same it means stannis, robert and renly will be a bit closer to the lannisters.

With the lannister baratheon link aerys would probably be even more paranoid and would possibly  agree to have cersei marry rhaegar....if not roberts rebellion becomes extremely short when aerys threatens tywins nephew robert.

This leads me to the question:  Why Cassana Estermont?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before / discussed before.  

However, Steffon Baratheon, in addition to being the unopposed heir to the Stormlands would be 1st cousin to Aerys, and something like 2nd to 4th in line for the throne after Jeahaerys I believe (depending on counting female heirs or not).  He should have / would have been the most eligible bachelor in all of Westeros.  So why Cassana?  I have a theory, but I'm curious if there is some other information on this pairing.  

1 hour ago, Green Stag said:

This leads me to the question:  Why Cassana Estermont?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before / discussed before.  

However, Steffon Baratheon, in addition to being the unopposed heir to the Stormlands would be 1st cousin to Aerys, and something like 2nd to 4th in line for the throne after Jeahaerys I believe (depending on counting female heirs or not).  He should have / would have been the most eligible bachelor in all of Westeros.  So why Cassana?  I have a theory, but I'm curious if there is some other information on this pairing.  

1) it’s actually the norm, heirs/lords marrying the daughter of one of their more powerful vassals. That’s in part why the ‘Southron Ambitions’ might just have something to it, deviating from the norm that much all of a sudden. Those aside, in the time of the books we see Mace marrying a Hightower, Steffon marrying an Estermont, Jon Arryn marrying a Royce and then an Arryn, Rickard marrying a Locke, Hoster Marrying a Whent, Tywin marrying a Lannister, Balon marrying a Harlaw, and Doran marrying a non-royal Essosi. What IS weird is that as the books begin, not one heir…all but two are well into adulthood…are even betrothed. Wyllis is like approaching 30, Edmure’s in his late 20’s, Tyrion around the same, Arianne is early 20’s (which is older than for guys who don’t have limited fertility period) Theon/Asha early 20’s, and then Joff is early teens and Sweetrobin 9 going on 3. Not a one of them are married or betrothed as the books start. That’s kindof crazy. 

2) George loves turtles.

22 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

1) it’s actually the norm, heirs/lords marrying the daughter of one of their more powerful vassals. That’s in part why the ‘Southron Ambitions’ might just have something to it, deviating from the norm that much all of a sudden. Those aside, in the time of the books we see Mace marrying a Hightower, Steffon marrying an Estermont, Jon Arryn marrying a Royce and then an Arryn, Rickard marrying a Locke, Hoster Marrying a Whent, Tywin marrying a Lannister, Balon marrying a Harlaw, and Doran marrying a non-royal Essosi. What IS weird is that as the books begin, not one heir…all but two are well into adulthood…are even betrothed. Wyllis is like approaching 30, Edmure’s in his late 20’s, Tyrion around the same, Arianne is early 20’s (which is older than for guys who don’t have limited fertility period) Theon/Asha early 20’s, and then Joff is early teens and Sweetrobin 9 going on 3. Not a one of them are married or betrothed as the books start. That’s kindof crazy. 

2) George loves turtles.

Rickard's aunt married a Royce and his good sister (sister in law) / cousin married a Rogers.  Grandmother was a Blackwood, great-grandmother a Royce.  There appear to have been at least 2 Lannister Baratheon marriages (Gowen and one other), as well as Lannister - Peake, Lannister - Frey, and Lannister - Webber.  While marriage to a vassal may be the norm, marriages to "outside" houses aren't that uncommon.  

Steffon would have been a VERY hot commodity, his father Ormund also served as Hand, so there would have been reason for contact with houses from all over the Realm.  If keeping the marriage in the Stormlands, both Swann and Tarth would be more prominent, as well as several others I'm certain.

My thought is perhaps Cassana is the daughter of Lyonel Baratheon's unnamed daughter who was spurned by Duncan the Small.  If so, Cassana would be a cousin to Steffon, and she and any siblings would be directly in line to inherit Storm's End (a possible reason for the match).  This might also explain some of the apparent discrepancies in mentioned relationships between Baratheon and  Estermont, as it would create a family tree where individuals are both 1st and 2nd cousins or maybe cousins and uncles at the same time.  

We don't know anything about Steffon and Cassana's relationship. Politics is the primary consideration for noble marriages, but it isn't the only consideration. There are plenty of instances of nobles marrying for love or other reasons that don't make political sense.

If Steffon marries Genna, then Robert, Stannis, and Renly don't exist. I do find it strange when people assume, seriously or otherwise, that characters would still exist if one of their parents was swapped out with someone else entirely. It's a clean slate, so we have no idea how many kids they would have, what they'd be like, and what roles they would play in the history.

One thing that we do know is that the Freys don't have any ties to House Lannister, so they might be less likely to turn to their side in ASOIAF. Plus that also means Cleos Frey doesn't exist, which means Jaime's storyline alters. Also, if Tytos had been smart enough to marry Genna to Steffon, that would be a highly favourable match, which Tywin would have approved of whole-heartedly. If anything, that means Steffon might also be alienated from Aerys, so he doesn't trust him due to his marriage ties with the Lannisters. Steffon likely wouldn't have been sent to find a bride for Rhaegar as a result, so he wouldn't have died.

Edited by Floki of the Ironborn

Robert won't exist, Ned won't become friends with Robert and bring his friend Robert's suggestion to marry his sister Lyanna. Lyanna would probably not be betrothed when Rhaegar kidnapped her, with no betrothal, Starks may settle for a marriage with the precedent of polygamy of Targaryens, rebellion doesn't happen. Aerys may visit his in-law Rickard and go sight see wall, decide it's too cold and melt it down with wildfire, leaving the realm defenseless against Others.

Edited by Corvo the Crow