House of the Dragon Emmy Nominations

Westeros

This year’s nominees for the Emmys have been announced, and HBO’s House of the Dragon has done well for itself with six eight (or nine, sort of) nominations, contributing to the phenomenal HBO/MAX total nominations of 127, and tying a decades-old record (set by CBS in 1973 and matched by NBC in 1993) of 4 separate dramas nominated in Best Drama.  See the categories below!

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/House_of_the_Dragon.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

Edited by Ran

We mentioned the technical ones earlier, those were announced separately as I recall. It's six of the main ones that were announced today.

Oops, you're quite right! Variety's complete list was not, in fact, complete. They've updated with the rest. Will add those in.

Edited by Ran

So are the Golden Globes more of a “genre” awards show then, since many of the shows that won this year (HOTD, Yellowstone, Euphoria) were largely overlooked by the Emmys?

I’ve noticed that Starz shows don’t get nominated often, and I can’t help but wonder if that’s because they’re considered “girlier” shows. It’s a shame because The Serpent Queen was the best show I’ve watched all year.

It's worth noting that two shows completely dominated the Supporting Actor category -- all 8 nominees are either from Succession or The White Lotus. It's crazy, frankly, and feels kind of weird. Would not be surprised to learn Considine was in the top 10 of nominees, but the Emmy love for those two shows completely blocked anyone not in them.

42 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's worth noting that two shows completely dominated the Supporting Actor category -- all 8 nominees are either from Succession or The White Lotus. It's crazy, frankly, and feels kind of weird. Would not be surprised to learn Considine was in the top 10 of nominees, but the Emmy love for those two shows completely blocked anyone not in them.

More probably more people saw those two shows than any other show. If the drama series nominations were per producer, you would've seen 3 or 4 shows taking all 8 slots.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Paddy was up for Best Actor, Matt Smith was up for Supporting Actor. 

The irony of the Succession love-fest is that I don’t think that many people actually watched it. I haven’t watched Succession or Yellowstone, but I’ve heard they’re essentially the same show, and way more people watch the latter than the former. 

I’d actually argue that Olivia gave the strongest performance after Paddy, but she wasn’t nominated for anything either. Of course, there’s always BTS drama that us viewers aren’t privy to. It never made much sense to me that Emilia was nominated more often than Lena was, but by all accounts it sounds like she was the easier one to work with.

It’s also possible that HOTD filming during the strike has reflected poorly on them, although that would have all but certainly been the suits’ decision.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

7 hours ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

More probably more people saw those two shows than any other show. If the drama series nominations were per producer, you would've seen 3 or 4 shows taking all 8 slots.

Both of the shows have smaller viewership than HotD. But it is very much the case that they are shows that appeal to the Hollywood elite who make up the voting body.

It never made much sense to me that Emilia was nominated more often than Lena was

While Emilia did edge out Lena in overall total nominations: 29 - 27, Lena did beat her in Emmy noms: 5 - 4 and Golden Globe noms: 1 - 0.

Ofc the gist of your point still stands.  BTS machinations are always a factor to some degree even if it's imperceptible to the audience.

(Edit: Whoops, meant to respond to @Tyrion2024) I always wondered if this was why Pedro was overlooked for The Mandalorian. I know he was nominated this year for TLOU, but it was weird that Carl Weathers and Giancarlo Esposito were stacking up nominations but not him. It makes me wonder if there was some BTS drama.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

21 hours ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

Season 1 GoT also didn't get many noms, but it's weird they didn't get one actor nom (none for Paddy, Emma, Matt or Olivia). I would have expected a Matt Smith nom to match Peter Dinklage's, but apparently they only saw Succession and White Lotus.

It’s pretty crazy that a Freevee show (Jury Duty) was nominated for some awards though. I find that encouraging, as far as lesser-known platforms getting recognition goes.

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/15/2023 at 12:07 AM, Ran said:

On 7/15/2023 at 1:21 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Paddy was up for Best Actor, Matt Smith was up for Supporting Actor. 

The irony of the Succession love-fest is that I don’t think that many people actually watched it. I haven’t watched Succession or Yellowstone, but I’ve heard they’re essentially the same show, and way more people watch the latter than the former. 

I’d actually argue that Olivia gave the strongest performance after Paddy, but she wasn’t nominated for anything either. Of course, there’s always BTS drama that us viewers aren’t privy to. It never made much sense to me that Emilia was nominated more often than Lena was, but by all accounts it sounds like she was the easier one to work with.

It’s also possible that HOTD filming during the strike has reflected poorly on them, although that would have all but certainly been the suits’ decision.

Succession is a great show and is pretty popular. Maybe not in terms of whatever ratings you're looking at, but one look at Twitter will show you that it has a pretty big fandom, and is talked about a lot worldwide on social media and in traditional media (FYI as I'm from Serbia I can tell you that a prominent Serbian magazine - one that deals with politics and social issues, profile similar to something like The Guardian rather than an entertainment mag) had no fewer than 3 articles about the show's finale after it aired (and only one in the Culture section, the other two in regular columns). It may not be a ratings juggernaut like GoT (few things are), but trying to frame it as some niche show that no one watches is completely off-the mark.

Its final season was fantastic, and it fully deserves to get the Emmy for Best Drama and several others it will almost certainly get. (If anything, it's likely it won't get one of its very deserved Emmys, for Best Lead Actors, due to a vote split in that category.)

That said, there's a syndrome of Emmys going overboard with nominations for certain shows which are their darlings that year and ignoring others, and while most of Succession's nominations are fully deserved, a few of them are perplexing or unnecessary:

- Best casting: the most baffling nomination. New shows like HotD or Andor should've gotten this one. Succession barely had any new actors cast specifically for this (fourth) season, and they were in very minor roles.

- Best lead actor: Three actors nominated in this category (half of all the nominees), and while two of them are more than deserved and either winning would be deserved too, anyone who's seen the final season knows that the third nomination is an outrageous category fraud, because the actor in question (I'm trying not to spoil here) had an extremely limited screentime and certainly couldn't be called a Lead Actor this season. Guest actor would be most fitting, but apparently the cameo appearances in some episodes made that technically impossible, so Supporting Actor category would be fine, but I guess ego and inertia did its work. He shouldn't have been nominated and took Paddy's place.

- Best supporting actor: again half of all nominees (4). Three of these are deserved, but Nicholas Braun as Greg barely had anything to do in season 4, and always had a very limited range, with his character being pretty one-note (or two-notes at most). Most of The White Lotus nominees also weren't that great. There were great performances in other shows that should've been nominated instead, such as Sam Reid (Interview with the Vampire - if the Emmys weren't determined to ignore the show compelely), Stellan Skarsgard (Andor), Matt Smith and Rhys Ifans (HotD)...

- Best supporting actress: J. Smith Cameron was great as Gerri throughout the show, but didn't have an awful lot to do in the final season, so while her nomination is not undeserved, there are several actresses who deserved it more (and certainly more than most of The White Lotus actresses who are for some reason filling this category): Olivia Cooke (and Milly Alcock and Emily Carey, if Emmys really want to nominate multiple actresses from the same show as they did with TWL), Christina Ricci and Simone Kessell (Yellowjackets), Bailey Bass (Interview with the Vampire), Genevieve O'Reilly (Andor)...

- Best guest actor: both of Succession guest stars didn't have huge screentime, but while James Cromwell was very memorable in his appearance in 4x09, Arian Moayad's cameos in both episodes were nice but not super memorable to anyone other than ardent fans of his character. There were stronger performances that got overlooked, most of all Andy Serkis in Andor - who really should've been the frontrunner to win an Emmy (or at least share this status with Nick Offerman for The Last of Us).

- Best supporting actress: Three actresses were nominated from Succession's final season. and I'd say two are deserved (Harriet Walter and Hiam Abbass) but Cherry Jones didn't do anything special in her brief appearance and just got nominated because of inertia and name recognition (she won for playing the same character in season 2). Sian Phillips as Aemma Arryn would've deserved a nom much more. Or even from Succession, if they wanted a third actress in this category from the show, Natalie Gold (Rava) had much stronger scenes.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:55 PM, GZ Bloodraven said:

Season 1 GoT also didn't get many noms, but it's weird they didn't get one actor nom (none for Paddy, Emma, Matt or Olivia). I would have expected a Matt Smith nom to match Peter Dinklage's, but apparently they only saw Succession and White Lotus.

It's not at all surprising that House of the Dragon got nominated for Best Drama and in a few other categories but that its cast got completely snubbed - because Emmys tend to do the same with new shows. Emmys are silly like that. They did it with HotD and Andor this season - and they also did it with Succession in its first season.

That's right: Succession had ZERO acting nominations for its first season, even though it got nominated for Best Drama, directing and casting  and even won for writing. and main title music. But that was the year GoT had its final season, and was HBO's flagship show, so it won Best drama for its terrible final season and its cast dominated the acting nominations. I very much doubt it's because the voters looked at Jeremy Strong's and Brian Cox's performances in season 1 and said "nah, Kit Harington was so much better, he deserves to be nominated for Lead Actor instead". Or that anyone thought the Succession cast wasn't that good in season 1 and then drastically improved since - as te show went on to have 9 acting nominations (including 2 wins, one by Strong as Lead Actor) in 5 categories for its season 2, and a reoord number of acting nominations for its seasons 3 and 4 (14 actors in 5 categories, including 1 win -for Matthew McFadyen as Best supporting actor) for its season 3, and now 14 actors in all 6 categories for its final season).

So, don't be surprised if HotD gets a ton of acting nominations for its season 2, once Succession is gone. Kind of an inverse of how Emmys did it with GoT and Succession in 2019.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:55 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’ve noticed that Starz shows don’t get nominated often, and I can’t help but wonder if that’s because they’re considered “girlier” shows. It’s a shame because The Serpent Queen was the best show I’ve watched all year.

AGREED ! Just discovered this show and "Becoming Elizabeth", such great shows combining superb acting and brilliant writing. Can't understand why those shows aren't more popular.. Especially the second one, the name Tudor always brings attention.