Would Daenerys have been killed in Daznak’s Pit

Maegor_the_Cool

If it wasn’t for Drogon showing up? I’ve always assumed the locusts were poisoned and were definitely meant for Daenerys. Had Drogon not shown up I wouldn’t have been shocked if there was a back up plan as Belwas had eaten them all. As Dany had outright admitted that the hostages she took were not going to ever be harmed. She lost all leverage with the Sons after that.

2 hours ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

If it wasn’t for Drogon showing up? I’ve always assumed the locusts were poisoned and were definitely meant for Daenerys. Had Drogon not shown up I wouldn’t have been shocked if there was a back up plan as Belwas had eaten them all. As Dany had outright admitted that the hostages she took were not going to ever be harmed. She lost all leverage with the Sons after that.

It would certainly have been an ideal moment for the Sons o have struck.

Who knows?  But if Drogon hadn't shown up. a lot of people would still be alive.

If Dany will, in the end, be redeemed as a character, it will because of the choices she makes.  And it helps that she confronted Drogon in the pit to save the lives of other people, not her own.

3 hours ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

It was a planned public assassination by the Harpy. 

10 hours ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

The locusts were meant for Dany, but I doubt they were lethal. The Meereenese should have access to all kinds of poisons that can kill no matter how big or heavy the victim is (ie, the strangler), so the fact that Belwas did not die suggests that the locusts were not intended to kill.

Rather, I suspect they were to purge Dany's womb. Her relationship with Daario was well-known at court, and probably the fact that she spent the night with him just before the wedding. So this was Hizdhar making sure that any children she bears will be his, and that it will be long enough before she conceives so that no one can question the paternity of his heir.

5 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

The locusts were meant for Dany, but I doubt they were lethal. The Meereenese should have access to all kinds of poisons that can kill no matter how big or heavy the victim is (ie, the strangler), so the fact that Belwas did not die suggests that the locusts were not intended to kill.

Rather, I suspect they were to purge Dany's womb. Her relationship with Daario was well-known at court, and probably the fact that she spent the night with him just before the wedding. So this was Hizdhar making sure that any children she bears will be his, and that it will be long enough before she conceives so that no one can question the paternity of his heir.

Dunno the stangler and tears of lys etc are supposesly rare  and exotic posions. Belwas is a huge dude and he almost died and lost a lot of mass...sound like an ordinary posioning to me ie nothing fancy used/bog standard  everyday posions

19 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

Who knows?  But if Drogon hadn't shown up. a lot of people would still be alive.

Well, probably other people would have died, people who fought in the pits to the amazement of slavers.

Instead, the show for slavers turned into a show for slaves:

“I know what I saw,” an old slave in a rusted iron collar was saying, as Tyrion, “and I saw that dragon ripping off arms and legs, tearing men in half, burning them down to ash and bones. People started running, trying to get out of that pit, but I come to see a show, and by all the gods of Ghis, I saw one. I was up in the purple, so I didn’t think the dragon was like to trouble me.” - ADWD Tyrion XI

Honestly, I don't even know who poisoned the locusts.

It could have been Shakaz trying to kill Hizdahr (after all, he likes it and it was in his box) - which would have broken the peace, resulted in him being restored to his position and Quentyn would have been the obvious culprit to blame - or Hizdahr trying to kill Dany; which looks very risky for him, but Hizdahr isn't very intelligent&he was confident about securing his reign after Dany's disappearance, so he might have done it in the Green Grace's behest. Hizdahr seems to obvious of a culprit, but the Shavepate risking Dany's life seems too big of a risk for him and I don't see why couldn't he stop Hizdahr's plan earlier by having one of his Shavepates dressed up as a Son of a Harpy and killing a freeborn.

Anyway, I don't think Dany would have died, since she wasn't very eager to eat locusts and the poisoning of Strong Belwas would have been quickly discovered.

Edited by csuszka1948

3 hours ago, csuszka1948 said:

Well, probably other people would have died, people who fought in the pits to the amazement of slavers.

“I know what I saw,” an old slave in a rusted iron collar was saying, as Tyrion, “and I saw that dragon ripping off arms and legs, tearing men in half, burning them down to ash and bones. People started running, trying to get out of that pit, but I come to see a show, and by all the gods of Ghis, I saw one. I was up in the purple, so I didn’t think the dragon was like to trouble me.” - ADWD Tyrion XI

Sounds like you are straining to convince yourself that the indiscriminate slaughter of a whole bunch of random people was somehow a good thing.

16 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

Sounds like you are straining to convince yourself that the indiscriminate slaughter of a whole bunch of random people was somehow a good thing.

People whose idea of fun is watching dwarves being eaten by lions aren’t the most obviously sympathetic of victims.

Edited by SeanF

6 hours ago, csuszka1948 said:

It’s another point at which the voice of the slave/freedman breaks through the endless litany of elite complaints and justifications for slavery, in the story.

Edited by SeanF

4 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

No, I don't think it's a good thing - although probably better in the long run than if the fighting pits continued -, I just pointed out the irony of the situation: the slavers wanted a show and the smell of blood and slaughter drawn Drogon to the pits, and it turned into a show for the slaves.

It shows how the dragon is a symbol of liberation for the freedmen and symbol of oppression for the former masters.

Edited by csuszka1948