Who are your favorite characters and why?

Back in Black-Snow

If I had to put the big six in order (it's gonna be big 6 for me, because I like Sansa's character) it would be like this: Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Tyrion, Arya, Bran.

But in reality, right now, I would get the most excited about a new Bran POV chapter. That I guess tells how much I like all of them.

The secondary characters I can't stop appreciating (as characters, not as good persons) are Jaime, Littlefinger, Doran, and Asha and Benjen. Maybe in that order.

Edited by Daeron the Daring

• 1 month later...

I checked, but I am pretty sure I never posted here in the past. So my favorites and why. 

1. Catelyn Tully Stark - Lets start with the easy reason why, she reminds me of my mom, and my mom is my hero. Okay, now more. I think she is an excellent mother. She supports her children, while also not being overprotective. In particular, her relationship with Robb seems very healthy. If I am being honest, I think if Catelyn had been a man (i.e. kind of his Uncle Brynden, lol), he would have listened to her more. I think he doesn't want to be seen as following his mommy's orders (which is reasonable at 15, but sadly some of her advice was quite good and he ignores it). I think Catelyn mostly makes good decisions, and I often found myself agreeing with her when she makes decisions, and yes, this even includes capturing Tyrion. Based on the information she had, that was a good call. If her sister Lysa had been..the girl Catelyn knew growing up then I would suggest they could have traded Eddard for Tyrion and things would have played out differently. I also find Catelyn's story extremely sad. I honestly believe she is trying hard, is intelligent and a good leader, and she just kind of is in the worst situation constantly (mostly not because of her own actions). If I was to summarize this all shortly : Loyal, committed to her family, solid parenting, smart, and resilient, that is Catelyn Tully Stark. 

2. Brienne of Tarth - The truest knight in the series, yet somehow not actually a knight. Simple reason again - I relate to Brienne's struggle to fit into gender norms (of either gender). However, she is so much more than that. She stands up for the downtrodden, she always tries to do the right thing, and she stubbornly sticks to her beliefs even when the goings get tough. She is a badass, too, which of course is hard not to love. She is so freaking heroic, and she also has an open mind at times in ways many other characters don't (such as changing her mind about Jaime). 

3. Theon Greyjoy - Yeah, this one is hard. Listen, I hated him in ACoK (and ASoS and AFfC) as much as you did. His actions lead to the deaths of many of my favorite characters. And yet, ADwD happenened, and GRRM wrote some of the best things I've ever seen. Since, I always wrote a simple reason - I guess, I a bit relate to Theon. Not the douchebag parts, but the extremely disapproving father part. The wanting to be loved and always doing it wrong part (granted I never murdered people or anything like that, lol). Okay, I am now going to stretch the analogy, but hey, these are my opinions, and it is how I feel. I often feel like Stark vs. Greyjoy in Theon's head, is how I feel a bit about Male-ness vs. Female-ness. I spent much of my younger years wanting to be a woman, while being seen as a man by society. I made bad decisions in order to impress other men, and to show how masculine I was such as disrespecting women around me (not atypical for teenage boys when I was young), getting into fights to show off how tough I was (again, usually at the encouragement of some more popular boy), or denying parts of myself (basically anything feminine). Meanwhile deep inside, I loved being around women, I loved women's way of being strong, I was emotional and sensitive and I felt best when I was loved/accepted in women's groups (rather than men's). Eventually I came to terms with all of this, and I was happier. I think Theon's story ultimately comes down to him accepting who he is really, and not the story written for him by others. Also, when he says, "Theon. My name is Theon. You have to know your name," I cry every freaking time. The first time I read it, I believe I sobbed. 

4. Davos Seaworth - Well to keep it consistent, I relate to Davos. The part of Davos I relate to is how he stands up for what he believes constantly no matter the consequences. Honestly, he is just such a freaking badass all the time. Davos is somehow the embodiment of a good conservative and a good progressive, in one character! He is loyal and honors the chain of command, but he also stands up for those who are disadvantaged and stands against unfair treatment of others. The one thing I wish Davos would realize is that he deserves to be the King's Hand, way more than these other rich nobles who were just born to their power. He probably won't though, as his humbleness is part of what makes him great. 

The other characters below are less favorited, but I still love them. I will keep the explanation shorter : 

5. Eddard Stark - He loves his wife. He loves his children. He loves and is loyal to his friends. How can you not love that shit? 

6. Renly Baratheon - I think Renly would have made the best King. He is charming, he has a good head for politics, and I think he mostly does good things to those around him. He also would have supported Eddard if Eddard had taken his men, and I will always think Renly for this. 

7 Sansa Stark - During this read through, I find Sansa a lot more relatable. She is strong, has a good heart, and I think could be a future leader. 

8. Daenerys Targaryen - Listen, I like most of the PoVs, lol. Daenerys wants to end slavery. Good enough reason to like her for me, lol. She is also just a good dude it you ask me. 

9. Jon Snow - Similar to above, he tries to end bigotry against Wildlings and move his order forward down a new road. He is just a good dude if you ask me. 

I thought about including minor characters, but was tired of writing. I guess just shortly : Myrcella Baratheon, Edric Storm, Missandei, Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr, Ser Barristan Selmy, Skahaz Mo Kandaq, Jhogo, Aggo, Rakharo, Ellaria Sand, Dick Crabb, Maester Aemon, Osha....hmmm that is all I can think of right now. 

On 9/18/2023 at 5:13 PM, Daeron the Daring said:

If I had to put the big six in order (it's gonna be big 6 for me, because I like Sansa's character) it would be like this: Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Tyrion, Arya, Bran.

I like the idea of ordering the big 6, why not. 

My order : Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Bran (We are almost the same!). 

Also, since you mentioned you don't have to like the people, just enjoy them as characters. 

#1 Character I love to Hate : Cersei Lannister - I hate her, but man do I enjoy watching her downfall in AFfC. She is also a very good villain for both Eddard and Tyrion in AGoT, ACoK, and ASoS. 

Hagon : he makes me remind of Kingdom Hearts

Aerys II : "she smells dornish"

Aegon IV: c'mon you know why

Tyrion II: it's Tyrion but Joffrey too

King Royce : Jack the Ripper

Lord Belthasar : Ed Gein

The widow lover : he loves women that need love

Maegor the Cruel : he was necessary, even though he tortured his nephew and forced his niece to perform sexual acts with the other black brides

Tywin Lannister : a great ruler

Joffrey : he is cool for the names he gives to his sword

Artos Stark. He was strongest of his pack and yet never took advantage of it to usurp his nephew. The Starks had known several crisis after the death of Lord Cregan and his elder son Rickon and Artos usurping Willam and Melantha's son while easily done at first could have had terrible consequences for the the House and so for the North. Props to him for proving he was as wise as he was fierce. As a bonus I also particularly appreciate his "avenger" side, personally slaying the man who beheaded his brother, that's a real badass move.

My favorite is Daemon Blackfyre, mocked by the entire fandom for the flat belly. 

He was dashing, daring, pious man, who proved to be worthy to carry the name of House Targaryen. He was a God of War, murdered by Bloodraven that used a weirwood arrow, so a magic spell. Despite being his enemy he was merciful to the Kingsguard he wounded and spared only to be killed with his kids by the infamous Bloodraven, who regrets killing his favorite brother and his children. 

He probably trained with Baelor Breakspear in the Red Keep, that's why the heir to the Iron Throne asked leniency to Daemon, so a bastard trained with the heir and king gave him Blackfyre for his combat skills, he reminds me of Aegon I Targaryen

Edited by KingAerys_II

My big 3 are Cersei, Sansa and Aeron with Catelyn, Bran and Victarion as close follow-ups.

This does not mean I dislike other POV's though- I honestly like them all. 

In terms of smaller characters/non-POV's: some of my favorites are Val, Rodrik Harlaw, Wyman Manderly and Alleras.

Sidenote: I recently finished first 2 Dunk and Egg novels (love them!) and I really liked Rohanne Webber.