The Bound and the Broken by Ryan Cahill

Pellert

On 10/13/2023 at 12:33 PM, Pellert said:

Out of interest, how was the expectations of aSoIaF here and in the fan base in general after SoS release? That was a bit before my time, but I have not seen that anyone foresaw that GRRM would face the challenges that he apparently has/ a drop in quality for the later books, based only on the ending of SoS and the status of the plot? Or did people actually already then see major challenges to tie things together?

IIRC - After SoS George had a "5 year gap" planned, where 5 years would pass in westeros (and in between 3rd and 4th novel) to allow events to unfold and young characters to age. The first sign of trouble was a couple of years into waiting for the 4th when GRRM announced he was scrapping the gap, and writing a novel that picked up form where SoS left off. A lot of work was scrapped, from what I understand, and the waiting began in earnest. A popular joke back then was that the 5 year gap was an IRL gap between books. Little did we know the series wouldn't be close to complete 20 years later.

Edited by Relic

One of the things that makes me a little sad about the whole five year gap thing is that iirc GRRM said he was filling it in because he found himself just constantly flashbacking so readers could follow. Which sort of sounded like he didn't trust his readers to keep up with the off-screen if he didn't directly depict them - although it could mean he didn't trust his own ability to sell it.

Either way, at the time a time-jump was a relatively rare plot tool in epic fantasy series but since then we've seen it done successfully multiple times, showing pretty clearly it's a more-than-viable way of telling a story that readers are happy to accept. If he'd gone with it it would almost definitely have been fine. 

Thanks guys, I share everyones frustration about this, just didn’t have too much background on the immediate plans after release of SoS. 

Naive as I am ( :P ) I still have a small sliver of belief deep down inside of me that we will someday see both WoW, DoS, FaB 2 and a final concludinf novella to DaE :unsure: i thank the gods for Joe Abercrombie which (for the time being lol) delivers stories for the First Law world at good speed and better quality! 

Abercrombie is one I was thinking of yeah (between both trilogies and the subseries but yeah).

Daniel Abraham does it all the time, he did it in Long Price (much longer time jumps actually) and Dagger and Coin.

R Scott Bakker jumped 20 years between his two series.

If we're talking SF as well, Alastair Reynolds released the whole original Revelation Space trilogy (plus a few spinoffs) in the real-life five year gap, and that has big time and status-quo jumps in it (actually in that instance probably too big at one point, in the sense that at least one character has essentially an entire character arc happen off-page between books and an entirely new motivation to drive them comes out of it- but it's still totally followable. And very successful).

Yeah all those have quite successful time jumps. At least Abercrombie, Long Price and Dagger and Coin - Scott Bakker i haven’t read yet (should I?). 

but I wouldn’t put it equal to a possible time jump after SoS though. I think the challenges (or opportunities) of a time jump after SoS has been sufficiently debated elsewhere in this forum, but both Abercrombie and Abraham sets up the books much more suitable for a timejump. 

then of course one could make the case that GRRM simply should have set up the story more suitable for timejumps himself if that was his plan, but for the sake of above this particular discussion (let’s not end up in a entirely more timejump discussion of aSoIaF post SoS), there is for sure a very majorn difference in writing BSC/H/RC/AoM after the ending of the  FL trilogy, than it is to manage a time jump post SoS.. same for LP really, DaC I must admit I don’t remember how long the actual time that passes between those books? 

On 10/15/2023 at 6:30 AM, polishgenius said:

Depends on your tolerance for really grim stuff I suppose. 

most important for me is the setting, worldbuilding and a splash of political plotting and twists.

they of course differ a bit, but some examples of series/works I like it; aSoIaF, WoT, LoLL, Rothuss KC, Mistborn, Abrahams DaC/LP, Williams MST/LKoOA, Mistborn, Sword of Shadows, First Law ++,  Black Company, and of course the Bound and Broken series lol :) ). As long as Bakker is remotely close to these type of series setting wise etc, I wouldnt mind it to be (really) grim. 

Edited by Pellert

1 hour ago, Pellert said:

most important for me is the setting, worldbuilding and a splash of political plotting and twists.

the of course different bit, but some examples of series/works I like it; aSoIaF, WoT, LoLL, Rothuss KC, Mistborn, Abrahams DaC/LP, Williams MST/LKoOA, Mistborn, Sword of Shadows, First Law ++,  Black Company, and of course the Bound and Broken series lol :) ). As long as Bakker is remotely close to these type of series setting wise etc, I wouldnt mind it to be (really) grim. 

Bakker's first trilogy is really good. The second one goes way off the rails, tho. I'd give the first one a go. 

On 10/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, Relic said:

Bakker's first trilogy is really good. The second one goes way off the rails, tho. I'd give the first one a go. 

tbh I liked the second more than the first, even though the ending is... unexpected. But at some point I have to reread the whole thing.

1 minute ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I seem to remember that the first book literally starts out with child rape and a murder within the first six pages? 

I don't recall that , but yeah, fantasy is filled with horror. A Game of Thrones mentions the rape about 8 times in the first 100 pages.

4 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I seem to remember that the first book literally starts out with child rape and a murder within the first six pages? 

Child rape was implied rather than depicted, the murder wasn't. That open to The Darkness That Comes Before is still amongst my favorite Fantasy opens of all time.

• 4 months later...

So I’m on the third main book of the series and as a terry goodkind fan and Branden Sanderson fan I truly enjoyed this series.. it was quick reading and I loved the world design and depth of character highly recommend this series to anyone interested in fantasy novels honestly 5 out of 5 stars even with some writing flaws..

On 3/18/2024 at 11:49 PM, tazbibey said:

So I’m on the third main book of the series and as a terry goodkind fan and Branden Sanderson fan I truly enjoyed this series.. it was quick reading and I loved the world design and depth of character highly recommend this series to anyone interested in fantasy novels honestly 5 out of 5 stars even with some writing flaws..

Cool stuff, nice to hear that there are likeminded here :) 

I fully agree, there are for sure flaws, but the story, world building, characters, action etc is simply really good, and perfect (subjective..) classic fantasy with a modern twist and some uniqueness to not make it to “seen this, read that”. 

Ryan Cahill keeps a well updated writing progress on his webpage, latest projections is that fourth book is due probably early 2025! So much looking forward to it!