Will Daenerys Cook Casterly Rock?

Maegor_the_Cool

Thinking on it, anytime Casterly Rock is mentioned, it’s impregnability is always brought up. Much like Harrenhal pre conquest. It is also made of rock and stone. Should Cersei flee to Casterly Rock after fAegon takes King’s Landing as many think he will, could Daenerys use all 3 dragons to turn Casterly Rock into a giant oven. Sort of the opposite of what Tywin did to the Reynes? With Fire instead of Water?

Well, it's possible that she does something of a sort. This is a blogpost of GRRM from this year:

"Casterly Rock will not remain forever offstage, I hope.   I have two more novels to go, and my plan is to have one or more of my viewpoint characters visit the Rock in THE WINDS OF WINTER or A DREAM OF SPRING, so I can show you all the wonders and terrors and treasures of House Lannister first hand.   Meanwhile, feel free to ponder… could Casterly Rock stand against dragons?"

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/12/23/a-couple-of-rocks/ 

I doubt that she could 'cook it' from the outside, but if she takes Casterly Rock with the help of Tyrion, I could see her burning down the ancestral castle of the Lannisters from the inside as a 'Second Harrenhal', a demonstration of power and punishment for the crimes of the Lannisters. 

Edited by csuszka1948

5 minutes ago, csuszka1948 said:

Well, it's possible that she does something of a sort. This is a blogpost of GRRM from this year:

"Casterly Rock will not remain forever offstage, I hope.   I have two more novels to go, and my plan is to have one or more of my viewpoint characters visit the Rock in THE WINDS OF WINTER or A DREAM OF SPRING, so I can show you all the wonders and terrors and treasures of House Lannister first hand.   Meanwhile, feel free to ponder… could Casterly Rock stand against dragons?"

I doubt that she could 'cook it' from the outside, but if she takes Casterly Rock with the help of Tyrion, I could see her burning down the ancestral castle of the Lannisters from the inside as a 'Second Harrenhal', a demonstration of power and punishment for the crimes of the Lannisters. 

Link?

1 hour ago, Darrow of Lykos said:

Link?

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/12/23/a-couple-of-rocks/

"The Lannister castle is not ON TOP of the Rock.  It is INSIDE the Rock.   All of it.   Barracks, armories, bedchambers, grand halls, servant’s quarters, dungeons, sept, everything.  That’s what makes the Rock the strongest and most impregnable seat in all of Westeros.   The Eyrie, Winterfell, Storm’s End, they all have formidable defenses… but none of them can match Casterly Rock.   When Harren the Black built Harrenhal, he thought his immense new castle could defy even dragons.   Stone does not burn, he reasoned.   But stone does melt, and dragons fly, and… well, you know the rest.   And Balerion’s flames proved hot enough to turn Harren’s massive towers molten.

But Casterly Rock is a mountain, and its chambers and halls are buried deep inside, under tons of solid stone.   No curtain wall in Westeros, however thick, can even come close.

What does this all mean?

Maybe nothing.   I just wanted to set the record straight.   Give you all something to think about.

(And maybe put an end to all these pictures of a little rock with a castle on top).

Casterly Rock will not remain forever offstage, I hope.   I have two more novels to go, and my plan is to have one or more of my viewpoint characters visit the Rock in THE WINDS OF WINTER or A DREAM OF SPRING, so I can show you all the wonders and terrors and treasures of House Lannister first hand.   Meanwhile, feel free to ponder… could Casterly Rock stand against dragons?

We know it can be taken by apes."

Edited by csuszka1948

I wouldn't bet against the dragons in this scenario. Casterly Rock may be huge, but many of its most-used spaces are probably close to the surface, for easy entrance and exit, as well as access to fresh air and light. A dragon might be able to breathe enough fire and smoke into them to kill the occupants, or force them to leave. And it could melt rock at some entrances, forcing occupants to leave through others where they can easily be ambushed.

It's a good thought, not that she'll specifically take three dragons and melt the rock but that Dany will generally destroy Casterly Rock. Symbolism of Targaryen's overcoming rock/stone and relating particularly to Dany (one of her three lies to slay is the stone beast, her blood melts stone in her waking the dragon dream, and there's more) is persistent throughout the series not just Harrenhal. Strong possibility.

I don't think Daenerys will use the dragons against the Lannisters in Lannisport and Casterly Rock, Tywin is death, I think she will use dragons to destroy the Red Keep where there are Cersei and Jaime to accomplish the prophecy, but Casterly Rock is a mountain, not a castle, Visenya believed it was problematic to destroy it, Vhagar, Meraxes and Balerion were far bigger than Daenerys dragons. 

It's more probably Tyrion will join Daenerys to tell her about the true origins of Aegon, who is clearly Serra son

On 10/3/2023 at 10:21 AM, Darrow of Lykos said:

Thinking on it, anytime Casterly Rock is mentioned, it’s impregnability is always brought up. Much like Harrenhal pre conquest. It is also made of rock and stone. Should Cersei flee to Casterly Rock after fAegon takes King’s Landing as many think he will, could Daenerys use all 3 dragons to turn Casterly Rock into a giant oven. Sort of the opposite of what Tywin did to the Reynes? With Fire instead of Water?

The Lannisters deserve it.  Burn Casterly Rock, but not before taking the gold.  

Harrenhal was also a huge chunk of stone and mortar.  It burned and melted like wax.  Three dragons would make short work of Casterly Rock.  I would love to see the dragons bake the Lannister scum, however, Jaime already had a vision of ice wights attacking the castle.  Lord One-Hand will freeze in his castle as the poor outside his walls.