FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)

Mladen

Finally, got some tie to properly comment on BAFTA winners. 

First, great night for both OPPENHEIMER and POOR THINGS. Not so good for THE HOLDOVERS and BARBIE. Given AACTA and BAFTA, we have a sense of what is to come with SAG and ultimately Oscars. First and foremost, the race in Best Director and Best Motion Picture is over. Nolan and OPPENHEIMER are cruising through the award season and they are unstoppable. At this point, it is locked (or almost locked) in seven Oscar categories (Film, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Cinematography, Editing and Score).

BAFTA will probably go from zero Oscar translated wins last year to all four. We never had races in Supporting categories, as Randolph and Downey are simply going through award season like a warm knife through butter. In Lead Actor category, I suppose we still have a race between Giamatti and Murphy, but the sheer power of OPPENHEIMER is enough for Murphy to prevail. I am still not 100% sure, will wait for SAG, but  it is looking good for Cillian. Lastly, I did expect BAFTA to give us a race in Best Actress, but obviously Emma Stone is sweeping this season. I can't say I am surprised. It is a masterful performance. She is worthy of an Oscar that is for sure. I do have problem with her winning after that disastrous win for LA LA LAND which remains one of the most undeserving wins in the past 20 years. But, she is amazing and that's that. I am sad that even BAFTA couldn't have given Sandra Huller some hardware, but there it is. I also though Lily would be able to put up a fight (I mean, in terms of awards race) but it is the Scorsese curse... Marty will go once again 0 out of 10 nominations. I would need to check, but Scorsese is setting an unfortunate record here. 

I had a chuckle with THE ZONE OF INTEREST winning both Best British film and Film Not in English language, which I confused for Best Foreign Film (not a category at  BAFTA). Quite deserving win at Sound category... Hope it'll translate at the Oscars. 

Documentary and Animated Features were expected choices... I suppose 20 DAYS IN MARIUPOL will win at the Oscars, while we still have a race in Best Animated feature between HERON and SPIDERVERSE.

Now, rather interesting choices and inspiring wins were made in Screenplay categories - ANATOMY OF A FALL winning Best Original Screenplay and AMERICAN FICTION winning Adapted Screenplay. I am really not against these two winning at the Oscars. The big issue here is that we won't get the winners of WGA before the Oscars as Writers' Guild have decided to host their awards in April 2024, after Oscar season. This may be very detrimental for these categories as we don't get the guilds' winner and one of the most important precursors for these categories. I wouldn't be surprised if OPPENHEIMER or BARBIE win Best Adapted Screenplay. It is always one or two categories that gets caught in the sweep, so Screenplay may be the one for OPPENHEIMER. For BARBIE and Gerwig, it would be the good consolation award after missing Director and likely to lose Best Film.

Finally... David Tennant... I love the man and he is hilarious (especially with Michael Sheen) but his Opening Monologue was a bit off. However "If you have to scramble and climb over Cate Blanchett to get an award that's what you do! That's a metaphor for the industry generally." was absolutely perfect. As well as this absolutely amazing dog sitting sketch. The world needs more of Tennant/Sheen magic... GOOD OMENS SEASON 3 WHEN?!?!!?

@MladenThat dog sketch is too funny to be buried at the end of your post!

(I'm surprised Judi Dench didn't quote the line from Shakespeare in Love: Comedy. That's what they want. And a bit with a dog.

Edited by Myrddin

The 2023 Writers Guild Of America (WGA) Nominations

Spoiler

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

• “Air,” Written by Alex Convery; Amazon MGM Studios
  • “Barbie,” Written by Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach; Warner Bros. Pictures
  • “The Holdovers,” Written by David Hemingson; Focus Features
  • “May December,” Screenplay by Samy Burch, Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik; Netflix
  • “Past Lives,” Written by Celine Song; A24

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• “American Fiction,” Screenplay by Cord Jefferson, Based upon the novel Erasure by Percival Everett; Amazon MGM Studios
  • “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.,” Screenplay by Kelly Fremon Craig, Based on the book by Judy Blume; Lionsgate
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon,” Screenplay by Eric Roth and Martin Scorsese, Based on the book by David Grann; Apple Original Films
  • “Nyad,” Screenplay by Julia Cox, Based on the book Find a Way by Diana Nyad; Netflix
  • “Oppenheimer,” Screenplay by Christopher Nolan, Based on the book American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin; Universal Pictures

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY

• “Bella!,” Written by Jeff L. Lieberman; Re-Emerging Films
  • “It Ain’t Over,” Written by Sean Mullin; Sony Pictures Classics
  • “The Pigeon Tunnel,” Written by Errol Morris; Apple Original Films
  • “Stamped from the Beginning,” Written by David Teague, Based on the book Stamped From the Beginning by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi; Netflix
  • “What the Hell Happened to Blood, Sweat & Tears?,” Written by John Scheinfeld; Abramorama

Commenting early, but the Visual Effects Society Awards have been announced, and The Creator did very well -- leading the pack with five wins out of seven categories. Apparently, the news is that Gareth Edwards is pretty much locked to direct the next film in the Jurassic World franchise, after having had meetings with Spielberg and Frank Marshall in which they were impressed with his vision for the film. Screenplay by David Koepp, who did the original Jurassic Park screenplay, as well as Carlito's Way, the first Mission: Impossible, the Sam Raimi Spider-Man, and lots more.

22 hours ago, Mladen said:

The 2023 Writers Guild Of America (WGA) Nominations

Hide contents

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

• “Air,” Written by Alex Convery; Amazon MGM Studios
  • “Barbie,” Written by Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach; Warner Bros. Pictures
  • “The Holdovers,” Written by David Hemingson; Focus Features
  • “May December,” Screenplay by Samy Burch, Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik; Netflix
  • “Past Lives,” Written by Celine Song; A24

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• “American Fiction,” Screenplay by Cord Jefferson, Based upon the novel Erasure by Percival Everett; Amazon MGM Studios
  • “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.,” Screenplay by Kelly Fremon Craig, Based on the book by Judy Blume; Lionsgate
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon,” Screenplay by Eric Roth and Martin Scorsese, Based on the book by David Grann; Apple Original Films
  • “Nyad,” Screenplay by Julia Cox, Based on the book Find a Way by Diana Nyad; Netflix
  • “Oppenheimer,” Screenplay by Christopher Nolan, Based on the book American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin; Universal Pictures

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY

• “Bella!,” Written by Jeff L. Lieberman; Re-Emerging Films
  • “It Ain’t Over,” Written by Sean Mullin; Sony Pictures Classics
  • “The Pigeon Tunnel,” Written by Errol Morris; Apple Original Films
  • “Stamped from the Beginning,” Written by David Teague, Based on the book Stamped From the Beginning by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi; Netflix
  • “What the Hell Happened to Blood, Sweat & Tears?,” Written by John Scheinfeld; Abramorama

So nothing for Anatomy of a Fall? Was it not eligible or what?

The weird thing about the screenplay for Killers of the Flower Moon (and possibly why it missed the screenplay Oscar nomination?) is that the rumor is that it was completely rehauled by Paul Thomas Anderson, who is not credited.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Commenting early, but the Visual Effects Society Awards have been announced, and The Creator did very well -- leading the pack with five wins out of seven categories. Apparently, the news is that Gareth Edwards is pretty much locked to direct the next film in the Jurassic World franchise, after having had meetings with Spielberg and Frank Marshall in which they were impressed with his vision for the film. Screenplay by David Koepp, who did the original Jurassic Park screenplay, as well as Carlito's Way, the first Mission: Impossible, the Sam Raimi Spider-Man, and lots more.

I will post now the winners of few guild association awards.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

So nothing for Anatomy of a Fall? Was it not eligible or what?

I think it is not eligible. I think the writer must be American. 

The 2023 Art Directors Guild (ADG) Winners

Spoiler

PERIOD FEATURE FILM

• Asteroid City – Production Designer: Adam Stockhausen
  • Killers of the Flower Moon – Production Designer: Jack Fisk
  • Maestro – Production Designer: Kevin Thompson
  • Napoleon – Production Designer: Arthur Max
  • Oppenheimer – Production Designer: Ruth De Jong

FANTASY FEATURE FILM

• Barbie – Production Designer: Sarah Greenwood
  • The Creator – Production Designer: James Clyne
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – Production Designer: Beth Mickle
  • Poor Things – Production Designers: James Price, Shona Heath
  • Wonka – Production Designer: Nathan Crowley

CONTEMPORARY FEATURE FILM

• Beau is Afraid – Production Designer: Fiona Crombie
  • John Wick: Chapter 4 – Production Designer: Kevin Kavanaugh
  • The Killer – Production Designer: Donald Graham Burt
  • Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One – Production Designer: Gary Freeman
  • Saltburn – Production Designer: Suzie Davies

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

• The Boy and the Heron – Art Director: Yoji Takeshige
  • Elemental – Production Designer: Don Shank
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Production Designer: Patrick O’Keefe
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie – Production Designer: Guillaume Aretos
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem – Production Designer: Yashar Kassai

The 2023 Set Decorators Society Of America (SDSA) Winners

Spoiler

Best Achievement In Décor/Design Of A Contemporary Feature Film

• THE KILLER – Set Decoration by Brandi Kalish SDSA with Production Design by Donald Graham Burt
  • LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND – Set Decoration by David Schlesinger SDSA with Production Design by Anastasia White
  • MAY DECEMBER – Set Decoration by Jess Royal with Production Design by Sam Lisenco
  • MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – DEAD RECKONING PART ONE – Set Decoration by Raffaella Giovannetti SDSA with Production Design by Gary Freeman
  • SALTBURN – Set Decoration by Charlotte Dirickx SDSA with Production Design by Suzie Davies

Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Period Feature Film

• KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON – Set Decoration by Adam Willis with Production Design by Jack Fisk
  • MAESTRO – Set Decoration by Rena DeAngelo SDSA with Production Design by Kevin Thompson
  • NAPOLEON – Set Decoration by Elli Griff with Production Design by Arthur Max
  • OPPENHEIMER – Set Decoration by Claire Kaufman SDSA with Production Design by Ruth De Jong
  • POOR THINGS – Set Decoration by Zsuzsa Mihalek with Production Design by James Price & Shona Heath

Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Fantasy or Science Fiction Film

• BARBIE – Set Decoration by Katie Spencer SDSA with Production Design by Sarah Greenwood
  • GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 – Set Decoration by Rosemary Brandenburg SDSA with Production Design by Beth Mickle
  • THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS & SNAKES – Set Decoration by Sabine Schaaf with Production Design by Uli Hanisch
  • INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY – Set Decoration by Anna Pinnock with Production Design by Adam Stockhausen
  • WONKA – Set Decoration by Lee Sandales with Production Design by Nathan Crowley

Best Achievement in Décor / Design of a Comedy or Musical Feature Film

• AMERICAN FICTION – Set Decoration by Kyra Friedman Curcio SDSA with Production Design by Jonathan Guggenheim
  • ARE YOU THERE, GOD? IT’S ME, MARGARET – Set Decoration by Selina M. Van den Brink SDSA with Production Design by Steve Saklad
  • ASTEROID CITY – Set Decoration by Kris Moran with Production Design by Adam Stockhausen
  • CANDY CANE LANE – Set Decoration by Jan Pascale SDSA with Production Design by Aaron Osborne
  • THE LITTLE MERMAID – Set Decoration by Gordon Sim SDSA with Production Design by John Myhre

The 2023 Society Of Composers And Lyricists (SCL) Winners

Spoiler

Outstanding Original Score for a Studio Film

• Joe Hisaishi – The Boy and the Heron
  • Ludwig Göransson – Oppenheimer
  • Laura Karpman – American Fiction
  • Robbie Robertson – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Anthony Willis – Saltburn

Outstanding Original Score for an Independent Film

• Jon Batiste – American Symphony
  • Mica Levi – The Zone of Interest
  • Fabrizio Mancinelli, Richard M. Sherman – Mushka
  • Daniel Pemberton – Ferrari
  • John Powell – Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

Outstanding Original Song for a Dramatic or Documentary Visual Media Production

• Jon Batiste, Dan Wilson – “It Never Went Away” (American Symphony)
  • Nicholas Britell, Taura Stinson – “Slip Away” (Carmen)
  • Sharon Farber, Noah Benshea – “Better Times” (Jacob the Baker)
  • Lenny Kravitz – “Road to Freedom” (Rustin)
  • Olivia Rodrigo, Dan Nigro – “Can’t Catch Me Now” (The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes)

Outstanding Original Song for a Comedy or Musical Visual Media Production

• Jack Black, John Spiker, Eric Osmond, Michael Jelenic, Aaron Horvath – “Peaches” (The Super Mario Bros Movie)
  • Heather McIntosh, Allyson Newman, Taura Stinson – “All About Me” (The L Word: Generation Q)
  • Billie Eilish O’Connell, Finneas O’Connell – “What Was I Made For?” (Barbie)
  • Mark Ronson, Andrew Wyatt – “I’m Just Ken” (Barbie)
  • Diane Warren – “The Fire Inside” (Flamin’ Hot)

The David Raksin Award for Emerging Talent

• Catherine Joy – Home is a Hotel
  • Fabrizio Mancinelli – The Land of Dreams
  • Allyson Newman – Commitment to Life
  • Hannah Parrott – After Death
  • Kenny Wood – The Naughty Nine

The 2023 Makeup Artists & Hair Stylists Guild (MUAHS) Winners

Spoiler

Best Contemporary Make-up

• “Candy Cane Lane,” Tym Shutchai Buacharern, Michele Lewis, Jennifer Zide-Essex, Yvettra Grantham
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” Jane Galli, Personal
  • “Haunted Mansion,” Kimberly Jones, Dionne Wynn, Bridgit Crider, Carla VanNessa Wallace
  • “Nyad,” Felicity Bowring, Ann Maree Hurley, Julie Hewett, Mahar Lessner
  • “Saltburn,” Siân Miller, Laura Allen

Best Period and/or Character Make-up:

• “Barbie,” Ivana Primorac, Victoria Down, Maha Mimo,
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” Alexei Dmitriew, Nicole Sortillon, Amos Samantha Ward, LuAndra Whitehurs
  • “Maestro,” Siann Grigg, Jackie Risotto, Elisa Tallerico, Nicky Pattison-Illum
  • “Oppenheimer,” Luisa Abel, Jason Hamer, Kerrin Jackson, Jamie Loree Hess
  • “Poor Things,” Nadia Stacey

Best Special Makeup Effects

• “Golda,” Karen Thomas, Eva Susanna Johnson Theodosiou
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” Alexei Dmitriew, Lindsay MacGowen, Shane Mahan, Scott Stoddard
  • Maestro,” Kazu Hiro, Sian Grigg, Duncan Jarman, Mike Mekash
  • “Poor Things,” Nadia Stacey, Mark Coulier
  • “Rebel Moon: Part One – A Child of Fire,” Ozzy Alvarez, Justin Raleigh, Kelsey Berk, Jonathan Shroyer

Best Contemporary Hair Styling

• “Candy Cane Lane,” Yvette Shelton, Shian Banks, Stacey Morris, Maisha Oliver
  • “Joy Ride,” Jeannie Chow, Kim Lee
  • “Nyad,” Daniel Curet, Vanessa Columbo, Enzo Angileri, Darlene Brumfeld
  • “Pain Hustlers,” Michelle Johnson, Dennis Bailey
  • “Saltburn,” Siân Miller, Laura Allen

Best Period Hair Styling and/or Character Hair Styling

• “Barbie,” Ivana Primorac, Marie Larkin, Clare Corsick
  • “Chevalier,” Roo Maurice, Francesco Pegoretti
  • “The Color Purple,” Lawrence Davis, Andrea Mona Bowman, Tym Wallace
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” Cassandra Lyn Russek, Stephanie Fenner, Peter Tothpal, Connie Criswell
  • “Maestro,” Kay Georgiou, Lori McCoy-Bell, Jameson Eaton, Amanda Duffy-Evans

The 2023 Costume Designers Guild (CDG) Winners

Spoiler

Excellence in Contemporary Film

• “American Fiction” – Rudy Mance
  • “May December” – April Napier
  • “Nyad” – Kelli Jones
  • “Renfield” – Lisa Lovaas
  • “Saltburn” – Sophie Canale

Excellence in Period Film

• “Killers of the Flower Moon” – Jacqueline West
  • “Maestro” – Mark Bridges
  • “Napoleon” – Janty Yates & Dave Crossman
  • “Oppenheimer” – Ellen Mirojnick
  • “Poor Things” – Holly Waddington

Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film

• “Barbie” – Jacqueline Durran
  • “Haunted Mansion” – Jeffrey Kurland
  • “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes” – Trish Summerville
  • “The Little Mermaid” – Colleen Atwood & Christine Cantella
  • “Rebel Moon – Part One: A Child of Fire” – Stephanie Porter

The 2023 Visual Effects Society (VES) Winners

Spoiler

OUTSTANDING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE

• “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves”
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”
  • “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “The Creator”

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE

• “John Wick: Chapter 4”
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon”
  • “Napoleon”
  • “Nyad”
  • “Society of the Snow”

OUTSTANDING VISUAL EFFECTS IN AN ANIMATED FEATURE

• “Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget”
  • “Elemental”
  • “Nimona”
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”
  • “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”

OUTSTANDING ANIMATED CHARACTER IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE

• “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom”; Topo the Octopus
  • “Godzilla Minus One”; Godzilla
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”; Rocket
  • “Wonka”; Oompa Loompa

OUTSTANDING ANIMATED CHARACTER IN AN ANIMATED FEATURE

• “Elemental”; Ember
  • “Elemental”; Wade
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”; Spot
  • “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”; Superfly

OUTSTANDING CREATED ENVIRONMENT IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE

• “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”; Knowhere
  • “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”; Underwater Wreck Environment
  • “John Wick: Chapter 4”; Place de L’Étoile
  • “The Creator”; Floating Village

OUTSTANDING CREATED ENVIRONMENT IN AN ANIMATED FEATURE

• “Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget”; Chicken Island
  • “Elemental”; Element City
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”; Mumbattan City
  • “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”; Midtown Manhattan

OUTSTANDING VIRTUAL CINEMATOGRAPHY IN A CG PROJECT

• “Migration”
  • “The Creator”

OUTSTANDING MODEL IN A PHOTOREAL OR ANIMATED PROJECT

• “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”; The Arête
  • “Peter Pan & Wendy”; Jolly Roger
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”; Spider HQ
  • “The Creator”; Nomad

OUTSTANDING EFFECTS SIMULATIONS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE

• “Napoleon”
  • “Nyad”; Stormy Waters
  • “The Creator”
  • “The Nun 2”

OUTSTANDING EFFECTS SIMULATIONS IN AN ANIMATED FEATURE

• “Elemental”
  • “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”
  • “The Super Mario Bros. Movie”

OUTSTANDING COMPOSITING & LIGHTING IN A FEATURE

• “John Wick: Chapter 4”; Apartment Massacre Videogame Style
  • “The Creator”; Bar
  • “The Creator”; Spaceships

OUTSTANDING SPECIAL (PRACTICAL) EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL PROJECT

• “I’m a Virgo”
  • “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Society of the Snow”

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY AWARD

• “Blue Beetle”; Machine Learning Cloth
  • “Elemental”; Volumetric Neural Style Transfer
  • “The Flash;” Volumetric Capture
  • “Wish”; Dynamic Screen Space Textures for Coherent Stylization

19 hours ago, Mladen said:

I will post now the winners of few guild association awards.

I think it is not eligible. I think the writer must be American. 

I thought about this, bur Georgia Pritchett, who co-wrote one of the nominated Succession episodes, is British. Then again, the other writer of that episode, Will Arbery  is American. So I guess ir is enough for one of the writers to be from the US / presumably member of the Guild?

That would sure explain why two of the weakest Succession episodes of season 4 are nominated over thr strongest episodes, which Jesse Armstrong is solely credited for. 

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I thought about this, bur Georgia Pritchett, who co-wrote one of the nominated Succession episodes, is British. Then again, the other writer of that episode, Will Arbery  is American. So I guess ir is enough for one of the writers to be from the US / presumably member of the Guild?

That would sure explain why two of the weakest Succession episodes of season 4 are nominated over thr strongest episodes, which Jesse Armstrong is solely credited for. 

The guild’s restrictions — far more rigorous than other guilds — require that scripts be produced under WGA jurisdiction or under a collective bargaining agreement in Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the U.K. 

Probably that the non-nominated scripts are not under WGA jurisdiction. Either being French or a writer is not a member of WGA.

The 49th César Awards Winners

Spoiler

Best Film

• “Anatomy of a Fall,” Justine Triet
  • “Junkyard Dog,” Jean-Baptiste Durand
  • “All Your Faces,” Jeanne Herry
  • “The Goldman Case,” Cédric Kahn
  • “The Animal Kingdom,” Thomas Cailley

Best Director

• Justine Triet, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Catherine Breillat, “Last Summer”
  • Jeanne Herry, “All Your Faces”
  • Cédric Kahn, “The Goldman Case”
  • Thomas Cailley, “The Animal Kingdom”

Best Actress

• Marion Cotillard, “Little Blue Girl”
  • Léa Drucker, “Last Summer”
  • Virginie Efira, “Just The Two Of Us”
  • Hafsia Herzi, “The Rapture”
  • Sandra Hüller, “Anatomy of a Fall”

Best Actor

• Romain Duris, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • Benjamin Lavernhe, “L’Abbé Pierre – A Century of Devotion”
  • Melvil Poupaud, “Just The Two Of Us”
  • Raphaël Quenard, “Yannik”
  • Arieh Worthalter, “The Goldman Case”

Best Supporting Actor

• Leila Bekhti, “All Your Faces”
  • Galatea Bellugi, “Junkyard Dog”
  • Élodie Bouchez, “All Your Faces”
  • Adèle Exarchopoulos, “All Your Faces”
  • Miou Miou, “All Your Faces”

Best Supporting Actor

• Swann Arlaud, “Anatomy Of A Fall”
  • Anthony Bajon, Junkyard Dog
  • Arthur Harari, “The Goldman Case”
  • Pio Marmaï, “Yannick”
  • Antoine Reinartz, “Anatomy of a Fall”

Female Revelation

• Celeste Brunnquell, “No Love Lost”
  • Kim Higelin, “Consent”
  • Suzanne Jouannet, “The Royal Way”
  • Rebecca Marder, “Grand Expectations”
  • Ella Rumpf, “Marguerite’s Theorem”

Male Revelation

• Julien Frison, “Marguerite’s Theorem”
  • Paul Kircher, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • Samuel Kircher,  “Last Summer”
  • Milo Machado Graner, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Raphaël Quenard, “Junkyard Dog”

Best Original Screenplay

• Justine Triet, Arthur Harari, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Jean-Baptiste Durand, “Junkyard Dog”
  • Nathalie Hertzberg, Cédric Khan, “The Goldman Case”
  • Thomas Cailley, Pauline Munier, “The Animal Kingdom”

Best Adapted Screenplay

• Valérie Donzelli, Audrey Diwan, “Just The Two Of Us”
  • Vanessa Filho, “Consent”

Best Animated Feature

• “No Dogs Or Italians Allowed,” Alain Unghetto
  • “Chicken For Linda!,” Chiara Malta, Sébastien Laudenbach
  • “Mars Express,” Jérémie Périn

Best Documentary

• “Atlantic Bar,” Fanny Molins
  • “Four Daughters,” Kaouther Ben Hania
  • “Little Girl Blue,” Mona Achache
  • “Our Body,” Claire Simon
  • “On The Adamant,” Nicolas Philibert

Best First Film

• “Bernadette,” Léa Domenach
  • “The Rapture,” Iris Kaltenbäck
  • “Vermin,” Sebastien Vanicek
  • “Vincent Must Die,” Stéphan Castang

Best Foreign Film

• “Kidnapped,” Marco Bellocchio
  • “Fallen Leaves,” Aki Kaurismäki
  • “Oppenheimer,” Christopher Nolan
  • “Perfect Days,” Wim Wenders
  • “The Nature Of Love,” Monia Chokri

Best Sound

• Julien Sicart, Fanny Martin, Jeanne Delplancq, Olivier Goinard, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Rémi Daru, Guadalupe Cassius, Loïc Prian, Marc Doisne, “All Your Faces”
  • Erwann Kerzanet, Sylvain Malbrant, Olivier Guillaume, “The Goldman Case”
  • Fabrice Osinski, Raphaël Sohier, Matthieu Fichet, Niels Barletta, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • David Rit, Gwennolé Le Borgne, Olivier Touche, Cyril Holtz, Niels Barletta, “The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)”

Cinematography

• Simon Beaufils,  “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Jonathan Ricquebourg, “The Taste of Things”
  • Patrick Ghiringhelli, “The Goldman Case”
  • David Cailley, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • Nicolas Bolduc, “The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)”

Best Editing

• Laurent Sénéchal, Anatomy Of Fall
  • Francis Vesin, All Your Face
  • Valérie Loiseleux, Little Girl Blue
  • Yann Debet, The Goldman Case
  • Lilian Corbeille, The Animal Kingdom

Best Costumes

• Jürgen Doering, Jeanne du Barry
  • Pascaline Chavanne, The Crime Is Mine
  • Tran Nu Yên Khé, The Taste Of Things
  • Ariane Daurat, The Animal Kingdom
  • Thierry Delettre, The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)

Best Production Design

• Emmanuelle Duplay, Anatomy of a Fall
  • Angelo Zamparutti, Jeanne du Barry
  • Toma Baquéni, The Taste Of Things
  • Julia Lemaire, The Animal Kingdom
  • Stéphane Taillasson, The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)

Best Visual Effects

• Thomas Duval, Acid
  • Lise Fischer, Cédric Fayolle, The Mountain
  • Cyrille Bonjean, Bruno Sommier, Jean-Louis Autret, The Animal Kingdom
  • Oliver Cauwet, The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)
  • Léo Ewald, Vermin

SAG-AFTRA will award Actors tonight, one of the most prestigious awards on award circuit voted by 160k members of the acting performers guild. Given the fact that voting for Oscars has started, the emphasis on who wins tonight could not be understated. As America Ferrera proved us, a speech in the right time may get you some #1 votes.

As for my predictions:

1. Oppenheimer for Best Ensemble. With three acting nominations and two probable/locked wins, this is not a brainer. Its biggest competitor is BARBIE which may get its last chance for a televised award in major category. Simply, it's BARBENHEIMER. The other three have no chance of winning against these two behemoths. 
  2. Cillian Murphy for Best Lead Actor. Murphy is the face of one of the biggest movies of the season, a movie that is sweeping the awards in many major categories and he has been part of it. His great popularity, only enhanced by the love people have for PEAKY BLINDERS is enough to secure him his Actor. Biggest competitor: Paul Giamatti, but the fact that THE HOLDOVERS is not nominated for Best Ensemble may be an inclination that SAG-AFTRA membership is not that into the movie. 
  3. Emma Stone for Best Lead Actress. This is simply the only correct answer. With Huller not being nominated and Lily Gladstone's momentum dwindling, Stone is on the rise following her GG, CCA and BAFTA wins. Many would speak of Anette Bening and if that happens, a lot is possible at the Oscars. Nonetheless, there is a sensation that this race is passionless and lacking real excitement. Especially after Blanchett v Yeoh epic showdown last year throughout the season.
  4. Robert Downey Jr. & Da'Vine Joy Randolph for Best Supporting Actor and Actress, respectively. They have been sweeping throughout the season. Their performances are exactly what SAG-AFTRA awards. No brainer here. 
  5. John Wick: Chapter 4 for Best Stunt Ensemble. Honestly, this could easily go to BARBIE, but I doubt SAG-AFTRA will be motivated to vote for BARBIE in non-televised category.

Honestly, I don't expect SAG-AFTRA to change much (unlike what we had last year) That said, the year has been somewhat boring and uninspiring in acting categories. 

PSA: Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAG-AFTRA) will be streamed live via Netflix globally

American time zones: 20:00 ET / 17:00 PT

European time zones: February, 25th 02:00 CET / 03:00 GMT

Edited by Mladen

The 2023 Screen Actors Guild Awards - Winners

Spoiler

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

• Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
  • Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
  • Penelope Cruz, Ferrari
  • Jodie Foster, Nyad
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

• Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction
  • Willem Dafoe, Poor Things
  • Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
  • Ryan Gosling; Barbie

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

• Annette Bening, Nyad
  • Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Carey Mulligan, Maestro
  • Margot Robbie, Barbie
  • Emma Stone, Poor Things

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

• Bradley Cooper, Maestro
  • Colman Domingo, Rustin
  • Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
  • Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
  • Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

• American Fiction
  • Barbie
  • The Color Purple
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Oppenheimer

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

• Barbie
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  • John Wick: Chapter 4
  • Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1

Edited by Mladen

16 hours ago, Mladen said:

The 49th César Awards Winners

Hide contents

Best Film

• “Anatomy of a Fall,” Justine Triet
  • “All Your Faces,” Jeanne Herry
  • “The Goldman Case,” Cédric Kahn
  • “The Animal Kingdom,” Thomas Cailley

Best Director

• Justine Triet, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Cédric Kahn, “The Goldman Case”
  • Thomas Cailley, “The Animal Kingdom”

Best Actress

• Marion Cotillard, “Little Blue Girl”
  • Léa Drucker, “Last Summer”
  • Virginie Efira, “Just The Two Of Us”
  • Hafsia Herzi, “The Rapture”
  • Sandra Hüller, “Anatomy of a Fall”

Best Actor

• Romain Duris, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • Benjamin Lavernhe, “L’Abbé Pierre – A Century of Devotion”
  • Melvil Poupaud, “Just The Two Of Us”
  • Raphaël Quenard, “Yannik”
  • Arieh Worthalter, “The Goldman Case”

Best Supporting Actor

• Leila Bekhti, “All Your Faces”
  • Galatea Bellugi, “Junkyard Dog”
  • Élodie Bouchez, “All Your Faces”
  • Adèle Exarchopoulos, “All Your Faces”
  • Miou Miou, “All Your Faces”

Best Supporting Actor

• Swann Arlaud, “Anatomy Of A Fall”
  • Anthony Bajon, Junkyard Dog
  • Arthur Harari, “The Goldman Case”
  • Pio Marmaï, “Yannick”
  • Antoine Reinartz, “Anatomy of a Fall”

Female Revelation

• Celeste Brunnquell, “No Love Lost”
  • Kim Higelin, “Consent”
  • Suzanne Jouannet, “The Royal Way”
  • Rebecca Marder, “Grand Expectations”
  • Ella Rumpf, “Marguerite’s Theorem”

Male Revelation

• Julien Frison, “Marguerite’s Theorem”
  • Paul Kircher, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • Samuel Kircher,  “Last Summer”
  • Milo Machado Graner, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Raphaël Quenard, “Junkyard Dog”

Best Original Screenplay

• Justine Triet, Arthur Harari, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Jean-Baptiste Durand, “Junkyard Dog”
  • Nathalie Hertzberg, Cédric Khan, “The Goldman Case”
  • Thomas Cailley, Pauline Munier, “The Animal Kingdom”

Best Adapted Screenplay

• Valérie Donzelli, Audrey Diwan, “Just The Two Of Us”
  • Vanessa Filho, “Consent”

Best Animated Feature

• “No Dogs Or Italians Allowed,” Alain Unghetto
  • “Chicken For Linda!,” Chiara Malta, Sébastien Laudenbach
  • “Mars Express,” Jérémie Périn

Best Documentary

• “Atlantic Bar,” Fanny Molins
  • “Four Daughters,” Kaouther Ben Hania
  • “Little Girl Blue,” Mona Achache
  • “Our Body,” Claire Simon
  • “On The Adamant,” Nicolas Philibert

Best First Film

• “Bernadette,” Léa Domenach
  • “The Rapture,” Iris Kaltenbäck
  • “Vermin,” Sebastien Vanicek
  • “Vincent Must Die,” Stéphan Castang

Best Foreign Film

• “Kidnapped,” Marco Bellocchio
  • “Fallen Leaves,” Aki Kaurismäki
  • “Oppenheimer,” Christopher Nolan
  • “Perfect Days,” Wim Wenders
  • “The Nature Of Love,” Monia Chokri

Best Sound

• Julien Sicart, Fanny Martin, Jeanne Delplancq, Olivier Goinard, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Rémi Daru, Guadalupe Cassius, Loïc Prian, Marc Doisne, “All Your Faces”
  • Erwann Kerzanet, Sylvain Malbrant, Olivier Guillaume, “The Goldman Case”
  • Fabrice Osinski, Raphaël Sohier, Matthieu Fichet, Niels Barletta, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • David Rit, Gwennolé Le Borgne, Olivier Touche, Cyril Holtz, Niels Barletta, “The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)”

Cinematography

• Simon Beaufils,  “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Jonathan Ricquebourg, “The Taste of Things”
  • Patrick Ghiringhelli, “The Goldman Case”
  • David Cailley, “The Animal Kingdom”
  • Nicolas Bolduc, “The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)”

Best Editing

• Laurent Sénéchal, Anatomy Of Fall
  • Francis Vesin, All Your Face
  • Valérie Loiseleux, Little Girl Blue
  • Yann Debet, The Goldman Case
  • Lilian Corbeille, The Animal Kingdom

Best Costumes

• Jürgen Doering, Jeanne du Barry
  • Pascaline Chavanne, The Crime Is Mine
  • Tran Nu Yên Khé, The Taste Of Things
  • Ariane Daurat, The Animal Kingdom
  • Thierry Delettre, The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)

Best Production Design

• Emmanuelle Duplay, Anatomy of a Fall
  • Angelo Zamparutti, Jeanne du Barry
  • Toma Baquéni, The Taste Of Things
  • Julia Lemaire, The Animal Kingdom
  • Stéphane Taillasson, The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)

Best Visual Effects

• Thomas Duval, Acid
  • Lise Fischer, Cédric Fayolle, The Mountain
  • Cyrille Bonjean, Bruno Sommier, Jean-Louis Autret, The Animal Kingdom
  • Oliver Cauwet, The Three Musketeers (Parts 1 & 2)
  • Léo Ewald, Vermin

I watched Four Daughters at FEST tonight, and it's incredible and should win the Oscar, too (but probably won't). 

Time for SAG reactions... Here I will focus on Film winners, on TV thread will discuss surprises in TV categories.

Overall, this late in award season, it is more of confirmation of some winners. OPPENHEIMER, Murphy, Downey and Randolph are all unstoppable at this moment. Randolph is the first actor since 2015 to sweep both critics and industry awards (last three sweeps - Blanchett in 2014, Simmons and Arquette in 2015), so she is undeniable. Murphy and Downey too, as well as OPPENHEIMER who is sliding through the guilds.

What SAG surprisingly gave us is the race in Best Lead Actress category. Many, myself included believed that Emma Stone will just sweep through the season. Couple of days ago I convinced myself that there is no chance Lily would be winning, not with this group. The quiet, borderline supporting performance of a newcomer, Native American actress in a Scorsese movie who isn't exactly known for meaty roles for women... This was a huge win for Lily and it opened the possibility for her to win the Oscar. This was her do or die moment and she surged magnificently.

Interestingly, this year many explained in great detail how Gladstone vs Stone is not a repeat of Yeoh vs Blanchett. And honestly, it is not. Michelle is a veteran actress, with connections and EEAAO was a force to be reckoned with on award circuit, with JLC actively campaigning for all of them. On the other hand, POOR THINGS is much more loved than TAR. But ironically, Gladstone and Stone are following the exact footsteps of Yeoh and Blanchett:

• Golden Globes: Drama - Lily, Comedy - Emma (equally distributed like Yeoh/Blanchett last year)
  • CCA: Emma (Blanchett last year)
  • BAFTA: Emma (Blanchett last year)
  • SAG: Lily (Yeoh last year)
  • Oscars: we'll see if we get a repeat

Knowing Sandra Huller doesn't stand a chance, I would love Lily to triumph. It is such a beautiful performance, such powerful display of non-verbal, almost reminiscing how silent the world is about the tragedy of Native Americans. Emma already has one in Lead category (if you ask me, one of the worst wins in 21st century) and I think it would be glorious for Lily to win. It will be difficult, but let's hope Brandan Fraser reads Lily's name on March, 10th. 

2 hours ago, Mladen said:

Time for SAG reactions... Here I will focus on Film winners, on TV thread will discuss surprises in TV categories.

Overall, this late in award season, it is more of confirmation of some winners. OPPENHEIMER, Murphy, Downey and Randolph are all unstoppable at this moment. Randolph is the first actor since 2015 to sweep both critics and industry awards (last three sweeps - Blanchett in 2014, Simmons and Arquette in 2015), so she is undeniable. Murphy and Downey too, as well as OPPENHEIMER who is sliding through the guilds.

What SAG surprisingly gave us is the race in Best Lead Actress category. Many, myself included believed that Emma Stone will just sweep through the season. Couple of days ago I convinced myself that there is no chance Lily would be winning, not with this group. The quiet, borderline supporting performance of a newcomer, Native American actress in a Scorsese movie who isn't exactly known for meaty roles for women... This was a huge win for Lily and it opened the possibility for her to win the Oscar. This was her do or die moment and she surged magnificently.

Interestingly, this year many explained in great detail how Gladstone vs Stone is not a repeat of Yeoh vs Blanchett. And honestly, it is not. Michelle is a veteran actress, with connections and EEAAO was a force to be reckoned with on award circuit, with JLC actively campaigning for all of them. On the other hand, POOR THINGS is much more loved than TAR. But ironically, Gladstone and Stone are following the exact footsteps of Yeoh and Blanchett:

• Golden Globes: Drama - Lily, Comedy - Emma (equally distributed like Yeoh/Blanchett last year)
  • CCA: Emma (Blanchett last year)
  • BAFTA: Emma (Blanchett last year)
  • SAG: Lily (Yeoh last year)
  • Oscars: we'll see if we get a repeat

Knowing Sandra Huller doesn't stand a chance, I would love Lily to triumph. It is such a beautiful performance, such powerful display of non-verbal, almost reminiscing how silent the world is about the tragedy of Native Americans. Emma already has one in Lead category (if you ask me, one of the worst wins in 21st century) and I think it would be glorious for Lily to win. It will be difficult, but let's hope Brandan Fraser reads Lily's name on March, 10th. 

Boy, would I love if Oscars were actually given to actors for their best performances, and not 1) 'because they are overdue, oops we never awarded them before and now they're kind of at a certain age with an x number of nominations... let's give them for this OK performance in this mediocre movie" or 2) not give them because "well, do they need another one at such a young age? We gave them already for this OK perfomance in a mediocre movie, so maybe we shouldn't give them for this incredible performance in this amazing movie, which would otherwise be the clear winner".

11 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Boy, would I love if Oscars were actually given to actors for their best performances, and not 1) 'because they are overdue, oops we never awarded them before and now they're kind of at a certain age with an x number of nominations... let's give them for this OK performance in this mediocre movie" or 2) not give them because "well, do they need another one at such a young age? We gave them already for this OK perfomance in a mediocre movie, so maybe we shouldn't give them for this incredible performance in this amazing movie, which would otherwise be the clear winner".

As Carey Mulligan said, that is plainly naïve. Yeah, I believe in meritocracy but it is art, these things are rather subjective and one can never exclude other factors. We need to understand that most Academy members haven't even seen all the movies and performances and would vote for this or that person because they like them or they think they should have an Oscar. How would you explain the nomination of America Ferrera? Or Jamie Lee Curtis winning? We have seen real hunger from some... From Sandra Bullock to Michelle Yeoh and tragically ineffective Bradley Cooper. One of my worst wins is Julianne Moore in 2015 for "Still Alice" beating Rosamund Pike in "Gone Girl". But, given the fact how many times Moore was snubbed and that she is indeed Oscar-caliber actor, one can see what Academy did there. Simply, you can't separate "the narrative" from the decision-making process in these things. 

6 hours ago, Mladen said:

As Carey Mulligan said, that is plainly naïve. Yeah, I believe in meritocracy but it is art, these things are rather subjective and one can never exclude other factors. We need to understand that most Academy members haven't even seen all the movies and performances and would vote for this or that person because they like them or they think they should have an Oscar. How would you explain the nomination of America Ferrera? Or Jamie Lee Curtis winning? We have seen real hunger from some... From Sandra Bullock to Michelle Yeoh and tragically ineffective Bradley Cooper. One of my worst wins is Julianne Moore in 2015 for "Still Alice" beating Rosamund Pike in "Gone Girl". But, given the fact how many times Moore was snubbed and that she is indeed Oscar-caliber actor, one can see what Academy did there. Simply, you can't separate "the narrative" from the decision-making process in these things. 

We know they don't all watch it. And it's certainly not primarily about "personal tastes" and who people like, because how would that explain the same people sweeping the season most of the tone? The voters are not all the same for all those different awards, are they?

I'm pretty sure it's mostly about campaigning and whose campaign turns out to be the most successful one.

The Film Independent SPIRIT Awards - Winners

STREAM LINK - OFFICIAL YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

BEST FEATURE (Award given to the producer)

• All of Us Strangers – Producers: Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Sarah Harvey
  • American Fiction – Producers: Cord Jefferson, Jermaine Johnson, Nikos Karamigios, Ben LeClair
  • May December – Producers: Jessica Elbaum, Will Ferrell, Grant S. Johnson, Pamela Koffler, Tyler W. Konney, Sophie Mas, Natalie Portman, Christine Vachon
  • Passages – Producers: Michel Merkt, Saïd Ben Saïd
  • Past Lives – Producers: David Hinojosa, Pamela Koffler, Christine Vachon
  • We Grown Now – Producers: Minhal Baig, Joe Pirro

BEST FIRST FEATURE (Award given to director and producer)

• All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt – Director: Raven Jackson, Producers: Maria Altamirano, Mark Ceryak, Barry Jenkins, Adele Romanski
  • Chronicles of a Wandering Saint – Director: Tomás Gómez Bustillo, Producers: Gewan Brown, Amanda Freedman
  • Earth Mama – Director/Producer: Savanah Leaf, Producers: Sam Bisbee, Shirley O’Connor, Medb Riordan, Cody Ryder
  • A Thousand and One – Director: A.V. Rockwell, Producers: Julia Lebedev, Rishi Rajani, Eddie Vaisman, Lena Waithe, Brad Weston
  • Upon Entry – Directors: Alejandro Rojas, Juan Sebastián Vásquez, Producers: Sergio Adrià, Carlos Juárez, Alba Sotorra, Carles Torras, Xosé Zapata

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD – Given to the best feature made for under $1,000,000 (Award given to the writer, director and producer)

• The Artifice Girl – Director/Writer: Franklin Ritch, Producers: Aaron B. Koontz, Ashleigh Snead
  • Cadejo Blanco – Director/Writer/Producer: Justin Lerner, Producers: Mauricio Escobar, Ryan Friedkin, Jack Patrick Hurley
  • Fremont – Director/Writer: Babak Jalali, Writer: Carolina Cavalli, Producers: Rachael Fung, Chris Martin, Marjaneh Moghimi, George Rush, Sudnya Shroff, Laura Wagner
  • Rotting in the Sun – Director/Writer: Sebastián Silva, Writer: Pedro Peirano, Producer: Jacob Wasserman
  • The Unknown Country – Director/Writer/Producer: Morrisa Maltz, Writer: Lily Gladstone, Writers/Producers: Lainey Bearkiller Shangreaux, Vanara Taing, Producers: Katherine Harper, Laura Heberton, Tommy Heitkamp

BEST DIRECTOR

• Andrew Haigh – All of Us Strangers
  • Todd Haynes – May December
  • William Oldroyd – Eileen
  • Ira Sachs – Passages
  • Celine Song – Past Lives

BEST SCREENPLAY

• David Hemingson – The Holdovers
  • Cord Jefferson – American Fiction
  • Laura Moss & Brendan J. O’Brien – Birth/Rebirth
  • Emma Seligman & Rachel Sennott – Bottoms
  • Celine Song – Past Lives

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

• Samy Burch; Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik – May December
  • Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman & Ben Platt – Theater Camp
  • Tomás Gómez Bustillo – Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
  • Laurel Parmet – The Starling Girl
  • Alejandro Rojas & Juan Sebastián Vásquez – Upon Entry

BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE

• Jessica Chastain – Memory
  • Greta Lee – Past Lives
  • Trace Lysette – Monica
  • Natalie Portman – May December
  • Judy Reyes – Birth/Rebirth
  • Franz Rogowski – Passages
  • Andrew Scott – All of Us Strangers
  • Teyana Taylor – A Thousand and One
  • Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
  • Teo Yoo – Past Lives

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE

• Erika Alexander – American Fiction
  • Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
  • Noah Galvin – Theater Camp
  • Anne Hathaway – Eileen
  • Glenn Howerton – BlackBerry
  • Marin Ireland – Eileen
  • Charles Melton – May December
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
  • Catalina Saavedra – Rotting in the Sun
  • Ben Whishaw – Passages

BEST BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE

• Marshawn Lynch – Bottoms
  • Atibon Nazaire – Mountains
  • Tia Nomore – Earth Mama
  • Dominic Sessa – The Holdovers
  • Anaita Wali Zada – Fremont

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

• Katelin Arizmendi – Monica
  • Eigil Bryld – The Holdovers
  • Jomo Fray – All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
  • Pablo Lozano – Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
  • Pat Scola – We Grown Now

BEST EDITING

• Santiago Cendejas, Gabriel Díaz, Sofía Subercaseaux – Rotting in the Sun
  • Stephanie Filo – We Grown Now
  • Daniel Garber – How to Blow Up a Pipeline
  • Jon Philpot – Theater Camp
  • Emanuele Tiziani – Upon Entry

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD (Given to one film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast)
Showing Up
Director: Kelly Reichardt
Casting Director: Gayle Keller
Ensemble Cast: André Benjamin, Hong Chau, Judd Hirsch, Heather Lawless, James Le Gros, John Magaro, Matt Malloy, Amanda Plummer, Maryann Plunkett, Denzel Rodriguez, Michelle Williams

BEST DOCUMENTARY (Award given to the director and producer)

• Bye Bye Tiberias – Director: Lina Soualem, Producer: Jean-Marie Nizan
  • Four Daughters – Director: Kaouther Ben Hania, Producer: Nadim Cheikhrouha
  • Going to Mars: The Nikki Giovanni Project – Directors/Producers: Joe Brewster, Michèle Stephenson, Producer: Tommy Oliver
  • Kokomo City – Director: D. Smith, Producers: Bill Butler, Harris Doran
  • The Mother of All Lies – Director/Producer: Asmae El Moudir

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM (Award given to the director)

• Anatomy of a Fall (France) – Director: Justine Triet
  • Godland (Denmark/Iceland) – Director: Hlynur Pálmason
  • Mami Wata (Nigeria) – Director: C.J. ‘Fiery’ Obasi
  • Tótem (Mexico) – Director: Lila Avilés
  • The Zone of Interest (United Kingdom, Poland, USA) – Director: Jonathan Glazer

PRODUCERS AWARD
 Presented by Bulleit Frontier Whiskey – The Producers Award, now in its 27th year, honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources, demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality independent films.

• Rachael Fung
  • Graham Swon
  • Monique Walton

SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD
The Someone to Watch Award, now in its 30th year, recognizes a talented filmmaker of singular vision who has not yet received appropriate recognition.

• Joanna Arnow – Director of The Feeling That the Time for Doing Something Has Passed
  • Laura Moss – Director of Birth/Rebirth
  • Monica Sorelle – Director of Mountains

TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD 
The Truer Than Fiction Award, now in its 29th year, is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition.

• Set Hernandez – Director of unseen
  • Jesse Short Bull, Laura Tomaselli – Director of Lakota Nation vs. United States
  • Sierra Urich – Director of Joonam

Edited by Mladen

• Mladen changed the title to FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)