NCAA Basketball 2023-24

Ramsay B.

39 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

^^^^I do not like that post.

Calipari to Arkansas!! @Rhom

Man… way to ruin Wrestlemania Cal!!!

Saw this Tweet but can’t embed it

Kentucky losing their coach to Arkansas because Arkansas lost their coach to USC because USC lost their coach to SMU is an absurd chain of events

Personally, I think this is how it had to go down.  Firing him was obviously untenable to the AD.  And it would have split the fanbase badly.

This allows the university to move forward.  Saves $33m in buyout (Cal has not buyout to leave.). Keeps fans relatively united.  And honestly is a good hire for Arkansas as well.

Where does UK go?  Sorry @Ramsay B. I think we have to make Hurley say no.  Which I expect him to.  Then I think the most logical spot is Nate Oats.  I’m not sold on him completely and I still think her covered for a murderer last year; but it seems pretty clear he’d be a good fit.

Strap in. It’s gonna be a ride.

Yeah, really not too worried about Hurley taking it when they come knocking, unless it’s a crazy amount. He’ll likely get a nice raise from all this though.

Next year’s Arkansas at Kentucky game already being hyped.

51 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This allows the university to move forward.

More like it moves House Rhom forward to Wisconsin. You're so close. Let the children watch you wear that ugly red and white badger sweater. Let the pain of watching 1950's style basketball corrupt their souls. Do the right thing. 

I don't think Nate Oats would go to Kentucky. Would be way to expensive and he works for the best athletic department and AD in the country.

Hurley might go but he is in a good place, same for Scott Drew.

My bet is Mark Pope (former player). He will be mediocre for three seasons before he is let go.

Final prediction for tonight: UCONN-87, Purdue-66. Purdue's guards will get absolutely destroyed. Edey will get about 30 points but it will not be enough.

1 hour ago, The Big Stink said:

I don't think Nate Oats would go to Kentucky. Would be way to expensive and he works for the best athletic department and AD in the country.

Hurley might go but he is in a good place, same for Scott Drew.

My bet is Mark Pope (former player). He will be mediocre for three seasons before he is let go.

Final prediction for tonight: UCONN-87, Purdue-66. Purdue's guards will get absolutely destroyed. Edey will get about 30 points but it will not be enough.

Pope would be waaaaayyyyyy down the list, but he is likely on it.

News today is that Oates' buyout is actually only $10m, not the $18m that was floated last night.  And Arkansas just saved UK $33m.  Paying for a buyout won't be a barrier.  And don't kid yourself, if Oates stays at Bama... it'll be because UK let him stay.  Guy was a high school coach 11 years ago.  He is a high energy fast riser.  The head chairs at one of the five blue bloods don't open up all that often. 

There is word out there that Billy D is interested, but there's a big timing issue with the NBA season.  Kentucky will need a coach in place within the week to build a team.  Which is another major issue with hiring from the NBA today.  In the modern college game, as soon as a coach leaves the entire team is in the portal.  Hire a college guy and he will bring a handful of his players and recruits with him.  Coming from the pros (or out of coaching like Jay Wright) you don't have that built in automatic base to build with. 

1 hour ago, The Big Stink said:

Best is pretty strong here. They're resting on the football program which hasn't been up to standard lately and will likely take a step back. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Best is pretty strong here. They're resting on the football program which hasn't been up to standard lately and will likely take a step back. 

And it’s the definition of a football school.  These top tier coaches don’t like to be second fiddle at their own school.

The Trilly Donovan account on X (formerly known as Twitter) has been really good about having information over the last couple of years. He said earlier today that Oates is not in play.

That surprises me just a little bit, but knowing AD Mitch Barnhart it’s not entirely surprising.

What a shit show...

Dick Gabriel is reporting that Cal went to UK admins and asked them to counter Arkansas' offer... they declined.

Talk about not being able to read a room!  The parties on State Street when news hit that you were leaving was not the first clue???

John Calipari asked Kentucky to counter Arkansas offer and Kentucky said no, per Dick Gabriel (on3.com)

Edited by Rhom

Okay... this is getting ABSURD now.  This comes from an account I think I've referenced before called Trilly Donovan that has always had really good inside info.  (Like really good... but no one seems to know who it is.)

Okay, here's the story I was told yesterday.  This is all HEARSAY and UNVERIFIABLE AT THIS TIME.  I need to make that very clear before I begin.

As previously noted, John Calipari doesn't have an agent.  He needed to directly inform UK of any time he was negotiating with another school.  As a work around, he enlisted his old friend and athletic director at DePaul, DeWayne Peevy.  Peevy handled all negotiations and allegedly leaked the details on purpose to put pressure on Mitch Barnhart.  The hope was that boosters and fans would align against Mitch Barnhart in an effort to keep Cal at Kentucky and force his resignation.  Peevy would then get the UK AD position, keep Cal and save the day.

Credit to Barnhart for sticking to his guns and telling Calipari he either goes to Arkansas or gets canned without a buyout for breach of contract.

Again this is HEARSAY and UNVERIFIABLE at this time, but this is the story I was told from a source very connected to the situation.

Man, that is WILD.  And Peevy was always well thought of in UK circles, that will definitely cost him a shot at the AD job in a couple years.  

And talk about not being able to read a room!  Jeezus f'ing Pete Cal.  How did you miss what the fans thought this badly?!!?

Turned down by Scott Drew, Rhom??  Ouch.  The list of candidates in an ESPN+ article isn't that exciting...  I'm glad it's your team and not mine :leaving:

Can the Wildcats make a run at Marquette's Shaka Smart? I don't think Smart would take it -- he has things rolling in Milwaukee and seems far more comfortable at Marquette than he did at Texas.

Expect Mark Pope to get a heavy look if Kentucky gets to its second tier of targets -- he played for two seasons at Kentucky and won a national championship under Rick Pitino. He has had success at Utah Valley and at BYU but hasn't won an NCAA tournament game.

Auburn's Bruce Pearl is a logical name. He knows the league, he has the personality and he's likely attainable. But he also hasn't advanced out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament since 2019 and is 64 years old -- Barnhart's targets thus far have all been several years younger.

Xavier's Sean Miller makes some sense. He had tremendous success during his first stint at Xavier and in his first nine years at Arizona, but he's been to only one NCAA tournament since the 2017-18 season and is coming off a 16-18 campaign.

Iowa State's T.J. Otzelberger has been one of the best coaches in the country the past few seasons, but he's signed through 2029 and has a buyout nearing $18 million.

Ole Miss' Chris Beard could be a target; he has already signed one extension this offseason and then turned down Arkansas to return to Oxford. He has established himself as a terrific coach, but he was fired from Texas midway through the 2022-23 season after being arrested on a domestic family violence charge -- the charge was later dropped. He also struggled his first season in the SEC.

The other potential name is Illinois' Brad Underwood, who got out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament this season, guiding the Illini to the Elite Eight behind one of the best offenses in the country.