NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!

13 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Ryan is a good comp. Don't agree with Goff, he's a tier below. But all three are in the mirror category for me, they reflect what's around them. You can win with a QB like that, but not when they're eating up so much of the cap. The argument for what the Falcons did is a lot of their players are still on rookie deals, but I don't think you can bet on Kirk being fully healthy next season and that deal will catch up on them quickly once they have to start paying players. And I'm not even sure they'll win the division if Kirk is mostly healthy. 

Really? He has taken two teams to tfe NFC championship games and one to a super bowl, how is he a tier below Cousins? To me they are the Spiderman meme pointing at each other. Hopefully you aren't going to point to empty stats.   

Really couldn't care less but Dallas is doing nothing in free agency and I need my football fix.

Dallas had two glaring needs. RB and LB.  This was a RB heavy market, and not just avg RB's but top tier guys were available relatively cheap, and we did nothing. 

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Really? He has taken two teams to tfe NFC championship games and one to a super bowl, how is he a tier below Cousins? To me they are the Spiderman meme pointing at each other. Hopefully you aren't going to point to empty stats.  

And he was god awful in the Owl. Stafford isn't great either and he won the thing with a lesser version of the Rams right afterwards. This year's Lions team won because of a good roster, not because of Goff. And in general this was a fluky year. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

And he was god awful in the Owl. Stafford isn't great either and he won the thing with a lesser version of the Rams right afterwards. This year's Lions team won because of a good roster, not because of Goff. And in general this was a fluky year. 

So again, how is he worse than Cousins? That was the point, he is a tier below.

Hey I heard Dallas is trading Dak to Minnesota for Jefferson! Trey Lance will take Dallas to the SB!   

It's funny hearing someone say how cousins is about empty stats while touting qb playoff wins as a good stat.

Rex Grossman went to the superbowl. Nick Foles won a superbowl. QB is definitely the most important position but that doesn't mean it is the only one. 

23 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So again, how is he worse than Cousins? That was the point, he is a tier below.

Hey I heard Dallas is trading Dak to Minnesota for Jefferson! Trey Lance will take Dallas to the SB!   

Idk if the last part is a joke, but Goff can't process info. He needs everything to be really simple. That's why BB destroyed him in the Owl. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Idk if the last part is a joke, but Goff can't process info. He needs everything to be really simple. That's why BB destroyed him in the Owl. 

Definitely a joke.

20 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

but I don't think you can bet on Kirk being fully healthy next season and that deal will catch up on them quickly once they have to start paying players.

Only $10 million guaranteed after next season [eta, meant after 2025.  Sorry, already thinking of 2024 as this season].  Last two years are $12.5 million dead cap hits each, basically.  I really don't care either way, but the contract makes sense.

Edited by DMC

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Only $10 million guaranteed after next season [eta, meant after 2025.  Sorry, already thinking of 2024 as this season].  Last two years are $12.5 million dead cap hits each, basically.  I really don't care either way, but the contract makes sense.

You sure about that? Spotrac has it at $25M in 2026 and then $12.5M in 2027. They can obviously rework it and they did frontload the contract, which Imo is dumb if he can't play, but you never know until you see the teams play. 

6 hours ago, aceluby said:

And…. Sam Darnold to my Vikes along with Aaron Jones. I actually like the Darnold signing more, but really hope we don’t spend our draft on another WR

Jones isn't a terrible signing. I still think you should just draft a RB in the 2-4 rounds every two or three years and never pay them, but $7M is fine with Kirk off the books. Expect a down year next season with the QBs they have (and I still think they're going to trade JJ). It's pretty clear they're trying to clear cap for the next season which always suggests a tank job. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

You sure about that? Spotrac has it at $25M in 2026 and then $12.5M in 2027.

Right, that means they can split the cap hit to $12.5 million for each year with a post June 1 designation.  Read the fine print!

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, that means they can split the cap hit to $12.5 million for each year with a post June 1 designation.  Read the fine print!

Isn't that only if they cut him after two years? 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Honestly I wouldn't bet on him playing more than two years. Ski mask Hall of Famer. 

Well, that's kinda the point, right?  It's effectively only a two year commitment.  After that they can spread out the cap hit, take the guarantee, and it's really not much more dead cap than a ton of other guys even right now -- especially considering you just signed the "top" free agent QB.

Don't get me wrong, Cousins has done a great job ensuring more money than..I think any QB and therefore player in NFL history to this point.  But it still makes sense for the Falcons in terms of the market.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

But it still makes sense for the Falcons in terms of the market.

I think I'd agree more without his injury. He'll be 36 at the start of the season and while he had a good statistical season before it happened it didn't translate to wins (and the Vikings skill guys carried him). If this fails in year one they might have to cut a number of players and this win now move is what at best? Losing in the first round of the playoffs? Imo they should be looking for a young QB (Fields is who I'd have tried to trade for since he'd come at a discount). You could probably get him for like a third and maybe one later pick which would be fine.

Signing Cousins just feels like the last act of a desperate old owner and I don't think it will play out well for him. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

If this fails in year one they might have to cut a number of players and this win now move is what at best? 

Not unless they sign a bunch more other guys.  Their cap situation is fine for the time being.  And remember extensions almost always lower the cap hits the first year, at least.

Xavier Worthy set a new record 40 time of 4.21 seconds.  In comparing 40 times, people have used tape of Usain bolt on his wr 100 meter dash to estimate that he ran the first 40 in something like 4.10. It's a little tricky because the NFL doesn't use a starting gun, the clock starts when you start. And Bolt obviously had starting blocks, so there's a little uncertainty in the time, could be off by a few hundredths.

It's also interesting that bolt isn't a particularly good starter as sprinters go, he was usually with the pack after 20 meters, it was just his massive stride that allowed him to pull away after that. 

I've heard that argument that what is truly elite about Bolt is his coordination. Most sprinters are average height, like 5-8 to 6-0. Bolt is nearly 6-6, and obviously that is an advantage. But most guys that size lack the coordination to run really fast. It is an argument for why Bolt might actually not be doping, because PEDs don't improve coordination. I'm not sure I totally buy it, but I would like to think it's true.  

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Xavier Worthy set a new record 40 time of 4.21 seconds.  In comparing 40 times, people have used tape of Usain bolt on his wr 100 meter dash to estimate that he ran the first 40 in something like 4.10. It's a little tricky because the NFL doesn't use a starting gun, the clock starts when you start. And Bolt obviously had starting blocks, so there's a little uncertainty in the time, could be off by a few hundredths.

It's also interesting that bolt isn't a particularly good starter as sprinters go, he was usually with the pack after 20 meters, it was just his massive stride that allowed him to pull away after that. 

I've heard that argument that what is truly elite about Bolt is his coordination. Most sprinters are average height, like 5-8 to 6-0. Bolt is nearly 6-6, and obviously that is an advantage. But most guys that size lack the coordination to run really fast. It is an argument for why Bolt might actually not be doping, because PEDs don't improve coordination. I'm not sure I totally buy it, but I would like to think it's true.  

Is Bo's time unofficial? I thought he had the record somewhere in the 4.1s.

But that is crazy to think Bolt was at that speed when he was often times catching up to the other sprinters. Moss is probably the best comp for tall dude who runs like the wind. Like you said, the warp speed guys typically look more like Hill. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Is Bo's time unofficial? I thought he had the record somewhere in the 4.1s.

But that is crazy to think Bolt was at that speed when he was often times catching up to the other sprinters. Moss is probably the best comp for tall dude who runs like the wind. Like you said, the warp speed guys typically look more like Hill. 

Bo's time is very unoffical.  Here's an article about it. He didn't run at the NFL combine, so there is no official time.  He ran at Auburn in front of some NFL scouts.  According to Bo, he ran an electronic time of 4.13, but the author of the piece couldn't find anyone to corroborate that.  A executive named Ron Wolf was there and said it was a hand-timed 4.16, which is REALLY different.  Any hand timed record is basically worthless because hand timing has an uncertainty of 0.15-0.2 seconds, and for a 40 yard dash that is massive. 

So....if Bo is telling the truth AND remembering correctly, then he may have the fastest 40 time in NFL history, but I personally doubt it.  Everyone loves a good Bo Jackson story, but if this were true it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to find guys to corroborate it.