Aegon the Conqueror's Blunder?

It seems to me that not marrying Princess Argella was kinda stupid. Yes, I get that he had dragons and could afford to spurn a lot of lords but marrying Argella would have given him a kingdom without any fuss. Assassinate Argilac and he would have had a much easier time conquering Westeros. Also when he finished conquering Westeros (except Dorne) marry his 3 different lines into each other (Targ style) and make Stormlands a principality like Dragonstone and the rest of the Stormlands would become part of the crown lands. Yes, I know it wouldn't allow for the current story to take place blah, blah, blah, im not concerned with that. Any thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Do we know if Argilac knew that Aegon was already married? It seems like his marriage proposal was an act of desperation rather than a calculated move. 

We don't know, but considering that he's polygamous and married his sisters...if I were Argilac, it wouldn't really be that big of a logic jump to assume he might accept a third wife. 

Didn't he refuse a Hightower marriage later on?  The reason being he might insult his sister-wives IIRC.

A marriage to Argella wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, however this may have been a "foreign concept" to him - Targaryens tended to wed Targaryens when available.  He also may have thought it may alienate his power base, not just his sisters (who have dragons....), but Diftmark and Claw Isle as well.

Would the children of Aegon and Argella get dragons?  We know what happens in the future with a split power base that both have dragons.

Lastly he may have already been thinking about converting to the Seven, it seems this could cause some issues as well as it does't allow for polygamy -would the Faith accept such a marriage?

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

We don't know, but considering that he's polygamous and married his sisters...if I were Argilac, it wouldn't really be that big of a logic jump to assume he might accept a third wife. 

It would be pretty safe to assume he knew Aegon was married. They both fought in the alliance against Volantis during the century of blood. He’d be relatively foolish not to keep tabs on an erstwhile ally who has the only three dragons left in the world. After all he did “know” that Orys was a targ bastard.

The third wife play might have been a Hail Mary but it would have a reasonable chance at working. It is a lot of land for a negligible price. Aegon offering his brother as an alternative was a pretty good value that still would have brought Aegon to the table. Argilac chose poorly.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Green Stag said:

Didn't he refuse a Hightower marriage later on?  The reason being he might insult his sister-wives IIRC.

A marriage to Argella wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, however this may have been a "foreign concept" to him - Targaryens tended to wed Targaryens when available.  He also may have thought it may alienate his power base, not just his sisters (who have dragons....), but Diftmark and Claw Isle as well.

Would the children of Aegon and Argella get dragons?  We know what happens in the future with a split power base that both have dragons.

Lastly he may have already been thinking about converting to the Seven, it seems this could cause some issues as well as it does't allow for polygamy -would the Faith accept such a marriage?

Here’s the thing, Aegon had only one child with Visenya and another with Rhaenys so I assumed the same thing would happen with Argella. If it was a girl then marry her off to Aenys or Maegor. If it’s a boy then we have another contender for the Iron Throne (probably) or someone who would help Aenys’ kids fight off Maegor. He/she would probably get a dragon egg and/or dragon. And this was before Aegon converted publicly when he was crowned as king so I don’t think the faith can do jackshit about it. 

Edited by KingoftheRiversandtheHills

8 hours ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

Here’s the thing, Aegon had only one child with Visenya and another with Rhaenys so I assumed the same thing would happen with Argella. If it was a girl then marry her off to Aenys or Maegor. If it’s a boy then we have another contender for the Iron Throne (probably) or someone who would help Aenys’ kids fight off Maegor. He/she would probably get a dragon egg and/or dragon. And this was before Aegon converted publicly when he was crowned as king so I don’t think the faith can do jackshit about it. 

The Faith ultimately couldn't do that much about it either way with the Targaryen dragons.  My thought it is he may have already been considering the need to eventually convert, if so a third marriage to someone likely already in the Faith could be problem for the Faith / conversion.  His total gain by joining with the Faith and playing nice with them is likely more than his gain with a marriage to Argella.

There would also be possibility of setting of a new precedent:  If the king had married one former king's / lord paramount's daughter, then what about the others?  Eventually they would all likely insist on a queen from their region / family.  Does sibling marriage and hundreds of years of tradition get tossed out?  

There is also a theory that he was sterile and not able to have children, and that Aenys and Maegor are not actually his.   If his sterility was suspected by him or some of the close advisors at court (including his sisters), this would have been another reason to discourage another marriage to an outsider as it would increase the likelihood of the secret getting out.  

14 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Do we know if Argilac knew that Aegon was already married? It seems like his marriage proposal was an act of desperation rather than a calculated move. 

Given that Aegon and Argilac had fought on the same side in the war against Volantis and he's the last remaining dragonlord in the world, its fairly safe to assume that Argilac would be aware of his marital status. He was aware of Orys' alleged bastardry, after all.

The proposed alliance is actually not a bad one on paper, it is just a matter of which land was involved. It was definitely driven by desperation but the counter proposal -- basically "give me the kingswood and massey's hook -- " was pretty fair. Argilac didn't have an heir outside of his daughter anyway, so the land would be controlled by Aegon either way, once he passed on. 

Given that the options of marriage for his daughter were likely limited to his bannermen -- he hated dornishmen and reachmen while the ironborn were taking his land -- he wasn't going to get a better offer that would help defend his lands. Orys was a noted commander and warrior at this point and the best friend of the only remaining dragonlord in the world. 

Argilac made a mistake, not Aegon.

2 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Given that Aegon and Argilac had fought on the same side in the war against Volantis and he's the last remaining dragonlord in the world, its fairly safe to assume that Argilac would be aware of his marital status. He was aware of Orys' alleged bastardry, after all.

The proposed alliance is actually not a bad one on paper, it is just a matter of which land was involved. It was definitely driven by desperation but the counter proposal -- basically "give me the kingswood and massey's hook -- " was pretty fair. Argilac didn't have an heir outside of his daughter anyway, so the land would be controlled by Aegon either way, once he passed on. 

Given that the options of marriage for his daughter were likely limited to his bannermen -- he hated dornishmen and reachmen while the ironborn were taking his land -- he wasn't going to get a better offer that would help defend his lands. Orys was a noted commander and warrior at this point and the best friend of the only remaining dragonlord in the world. 

Argilac made a mistake, not Aegon.

Agreed, ultimately the mistake was Argilac's.

The dowery included lands Argilac didn't control (at least not fully), and would almost certainly put Aegon at odds with the Iron Born sooner or later - not that it mattered that much, but it seems fairly obvious Argilac was trying to put a buffer between his lands and the Iron Born.  As far as we can tell, it also didn't ensure Aegon would eventually take the rest of the Stormlands, Argilac could name someone else heir (if he didn't have a son from another marriage).  It also didn't include Argilac submitting to Aegon, and it seems Aegon had already decided / prepared to take Westeros, so would have wanted his submission.  

Argilac could have easily put himself into a position to be part of Aegon's inner circle and likely kept more of his lands.  Even if he had resisted the Targaryens, he still would likely have the Iron Born to deal with.  

On 4/16/2024 at 4:05 AM, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

It seems to me that not marrying Princess Argella was kinda stupid. Yes, I get that he had dragons and could afford to spurn a lot of lords but marrying Argella would have given him a kingdom without any fuss. Assassinate Argilac and he would have had a much easier time conquering Westeros. Also when he finished conquering Westeros (except Dorne) marry his 3 different lines into each other (Targ style) and make Stormlands a principality like Dragonstone and the rest of the Stormlands would become part of the crown lands. Yes, I know it wouldn't allow for the current story to take place blah, blah, blah, im not concerned with that. Any thoughts?

I like Aegon and his family but to be fair it was insulting to offer a bastard like Orys.  

On 4/16/2024 at 4:02 AM, Universal Sword Donor said:

It would be pretty safe to assume he knew Aegon was married. They both fought in the alliance against Volantis during the century of blood. He’d be relatively foolish not to keep tabs on an erstwhile ally who has the only three dragons left in the world. After all he did “know” that Orys was a targ bastard.

While I also think Argilac knew about Aegon's marriages, I don't think they fought against Volantis at the same time. Argilac joined the alliance twenty years before the battle against the Gardener king, which in turn took place before the Conquest. Depending on the precise date of the Battle of Summerfield, Aegon would have been a young boy or not even born when Argilac was in Essos.