" I just bought"

Calibandar

Honored Enemy, by I forget who, don't have it in hand right now.heh

I'm guessing that's the book by Raymond E Feist and William Fortschen. It's a good book, fairly straightforward plot of enemy soldiers having to work together to survive but it's probably the best thing Feist's written in the last decade or so.

I have the disease as well. :blush: Since the beginning of the month I've bought

All of the Dresden Files books

Brasyl, Ian McDonald

The Gate of Worlds, Robert Silverberg

Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut

Yesterday I decided to catch up on some stuff I should have read long ago. I picked up Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? and Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

For those unfamiliar, the Dick novel is the one on which the famous Ridley Scott film Blade Runner is based. I started it today, and am about halfway through it. It's very good and I intend to read more of his stuff -- what else is A-list other than A Scanner Darkly?

I haven't been able to get into The Road yet. As Mandy said, it's really depressing and I haven't been in the mood.

Inigma- check out "The Man in the High Castle" or "Ubik". TMiHC is an alternate history where the Axis wins WW2, but it's not about Martin Luther King becoming a user-car dealer or anything like that. It focuses on everyday people and the culture that's developed with Japan controlling the country. Ubik is weird and indescribable and great, and you'll just have to take my word for it; it's best to go in with no idea what's going to happen.

Among his less well-known books, I liked Dr. Bloodmoney, which is a twisted post-apocalyptic story, and We Can Build You, about a salesman's uncertainty and doubt when his company starts building human-like robots.

My name is Ben and I'm a compulsive book shopper. Got some more books today at the Borders in Davenport.

A DL novel.

The Gates of Fire, Steven Pressfield

Hood, Stephen R. Lawhead

Viriconium, M. John Harrison

I'm a little ambivalent about the last one since Harrison seems to get mixed feelings on this board, but I thought I'd see what the fuss is about.

I just finished reading the highly enjoyable-The Blade Itself, starting on the Lies Of Locke Lamora, 40 pages in, and already kicking ass! Anyway, I just bought the Assassin's Apprentice today. I've heard so many good things, I just had to give it a go!

"Children of Hurin" Tolkien

"The Picture of Dorian Grey" Wilde

"The Satanic Verses" Rushdie

All three are pretty good. In Verses Right now. Really beautiful prose and writing style. I really like stream of conciousness/weird 3rd person styles...

welp despite the fact that I haven't even started American Gods, I just bought:

• Philip K. Dick - The Philip K. Dick Reader (actually went looking for A Scanner Darkly, but they didn't have it)
  • China Miéville - Iron Council
  • Tad Williams - Otherland: City of Golden Shadow (Book One - I've actually read the first couple, but not for years, and I had no idea where I left off, plus I wanted to add them to my collection)

Is the rest of Tad Williams' catalogue (specifically, the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy) worth reading?

I'm currently waiting for The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and am finally getting to read the Dune Triology (nice though huge edition of the first three books) and yes my list of books to buy is getting looooooooooong...there's me trying not to buy too many books before moving to the States...eh...yeah, I'm a failure at that ;)

Placed orders tonight for:

• Abercrombie - The Blade Itself
  • Erikson - Gardens of the Moon
  • Erikson - Deadhouse Gates
  • Morgan - Altered Carbon

I think I have a problem.

Placed orders tonight for:
  • Abercrombie - The Blade Itself
  • Erikson - Gardens of the Moon
  • Erikson - Deadhouse Gates
  • Morgan - Altered Carbon

I think I have a problem.

You may have a problem, but you now have more good books! So, it's not all bad!

(I'm 3/4 of the way through Altered Carbon and it is very good - as are the rest on your list)

Is the rest of Tad Williams' catalogue (specifically, the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy) worth reading?

Oh yes. I just started that one at my favorite book shop, but so far it looks great :D Go for it ;)

M, S & T is very slow and dull to start off with (at least I thought so, opinions do vary on this) but it does become much better later on, particularly after the first book. Overall it is a good series despite some flaws (the slow start, the contrived ending).

I quite liked Williams' "War of the Flowers" as well, it was more focused than Otherland or M, S & T.

Archived