Erikson's Reaper's Gale book review

pat5150

So who else is reading the book now? Maltaran? KCF? Jay Tomio? What are yout thoughts?

None yet - I actually haven't started yet since I didn't finish Brasyl until late last night. I will be starting in about 45 minutes when I get home.

I'm no good at doing reviews, so I won't try writing one. I'll just say that this is, in terms of ranking within the series, not as good as MOI or DHG, but better than BH or HOC. Probably similar to MT, which is unsurprising, given that the first half of the book consists almost entirely of characters from MT (the Malazans don't turn up till halfway through). In summary, a solid book, but not the best of the bunch.

Oh, and Tehol has a quote regarding evil chickens, which I've posted in the Goodkind thread where such things belong. ;)

Woohoo! Midnight Tides is my favourite, so this bodes well for me. I think I'm going to have to order this one from Britain, as June 26th seems so far away.

I would put it below TBH (which I rather liked), about the level on MT. Tehol and Bugg are their usual selves, most threads are closed (and those which aren't, are clearly to be continued in 8th and 9th volumes. ) As for Maltaran's question, I am not sure, if it is explained. I will have to analize this frragment more thoroughly.

It is interesting how unpredictable Erikson is, though.

SPOILER: Reaper's Gale
So many boarders and nobody guessed the truth about certain sword

Gollancz allowed you to save enough dough these last few weeks to be able to afford this one, methinks! :P

Patrick

To this I can only answer with the magic phrase that explains sudden budgetary precariousness: "New Girlfriend." :D (waits to get beaten up)

Seriously, this is supposed to be in my local Waterstones tomorrow or Thursday. Stupid question though: is this hardcover only or are they still doing the trade pb as well? The trade was previously listed on Amazon but now seems to have vanished. This may be instrumental in whether I can get the book or not :(

Looks like Amazon have cocked that entry up then :stunned: I take my Malazan in trade pb, the series hasn't reached hardcover-worthy status for me yet. If they weren't releasing in trade for six months or something, however, I'd probably go for the hardcover.

So is my main man Ganoes Paran in this book?

If he is not I am waiting another month and I'll get it for a birthday present.

Also Icarium better not bloody die, unless Karsa is on the floor in several pieces first.

I've come to the conclusion that any book in which Karsa dies will be my favourite Malazan book, just on general principles. I love Erikson, but Karsa just shits me beyond belief. The most annoying character I have ever read.

Still, really looking forward to RG. If he can successfully pull off the act of tying so many loose threads together, then I really will take my hat off to him.

For me, it's RG vs. Red Seas Under Red Skies.

It's going to be a good year.

For me, the odd's on favorite (which is obviously a projection) would be Cities of Coin and Spice or The Yiddish Policemen's Union

SPOILER: Reaper's Gale
What the hell happened to Icarium?
Without having read RG yet, I would speculate that
SPOILER: speculating
his insanity was healed by the Eres in TBH, so he now remembers what he does and lost his god-mode anger.

He de-leveled, in short, and probably isn't too concerned with living or dying.

If he was the one who shattered Kurald Emurlahn (not sure), his healing or death is a more or less necessary step if Erickson wants to restore the warren.

Spoil me, did I guess close? :D

Bloodeye shattered the Warren of Shadows.

Icarium shattered a bigish chunk of it.

Also Icarium's power levels have little to do with his insanity.

He want insane killing a perfectly healthy full strength Azath House.

Also Icarium's power levels have little to do with his insanity.
I thought that everyone, Mappo first, was pretty insitant that his anger was the dangerous thing, not the man especially. In DHG there is this whole plot of knocking him out while he can be knocked out, before he sinks into insanity and become an invincible reaper. So... are you sure?

I know he attacked the deadhouse, but wasn't it specifically said that it was the shattering of a warren that drove him off the deep end?

I trust you for the rest, I don't have the slightest envy to reread MT.

@pat: Good, good, maybe it would have been too simple. I imagine now that an unknown division we'll call the purple ladykillers will appear in the last chapter of RG and kill the battle crazed icarium, rhulad, bloodeye and Karsa before vanishing. It would be like Ericskon to pull that off.

Should a seperate spoiler topic be set up for this one? Even though I'm reading it now, I'm very wary of spoilers for what I haven't read yet.

I've come to the conclusion that any book in which Karsa dies will be my favourite Malazan book, just on general principles. I love Erikson, but Karsa just shits me beyond belief. The most annoying character I have ever read.

Still, really looking forward to RG. If he can successfully pull off the act of tying so many loose threads together, then I really will take my hat off to him.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only one who views Karsa as the best character in the series.

Which makes it clear that the rest of you simply don't understand the brilliance of the Toblakai warrior. :D

Still no sign of it here. :cry:

Over at Malazan there's a couple threads tracking where RG is surfacing. It seems that bookstores in various places are starting to get it in and shelve it for sale. Numerous people have found it.

Archived