Battlestar Galactica: The new movie + pre-Season 4 thread

Werthead

not sure why they keep showing that awful dr.who though.

It gets big ratings? It was pulling in far more than BSG last year, that's for certain.

any news on caprica?

They're waiting to see how Razor and BSG Season 4 do.

Hooray for Sci-Fi Channel! The video is not available in my territory. Sigh.

Was the first flashback any good then, US viewers? Apparently it features Adama getting laid and not a lot else.

Well, that's pretty much it. And then 5 minutes of talking. But Wert, as a guy, seeing Bill getting some (finally,) is enough for me.

So does anyone know if the Season 3 Webisodes are going to be part of the Season 3 Box Set?

They weren't part of the Region 2 one. Who knows? We regularly get shafted on the special features on the BSG DVDs.

Hey, the guy playing Young Adama really looks like a young Eddie Olmos, doesn't he? Between the 'superweapon on the ice planet' thing and the presence of the old-school Cylon Raiders and Basestars (which is making me squeal like a demented fanboy, sadly) they seem to be channelling The Gun on Ice Planet Zero, one of the better episodes of the old BSG.

I haven't had a chance to see the new Flashback yet, I can't view it on the main site. Are they just clips from 'Razor' or are they webisodes like 'The Resistance'?

I don't have a working sound card at the moment so I've literally only seen these.

There is one of young Adama having sex and then talking to the young lovely for a few minutes afterward.

There is one of fast cut scenes of action and explosions and stuff.

There is one of Admiral Cain talking at the new character introduced for Razor (her name escapes me at the Moment) that goes on for several minutes.

I wasn't expecting a Season 4 promo for another few months but they've put one together quite early:

SPOILER: BSG Season 4
Anders thinks Starbuck is a Cylon. Adama is wondering what's up with Tigh. Baltar's followers believe that he can heal sick people. Roslin asks Tory how did she 'get there'. Starbuck is angered that no-one believes that she's seen Earth. Anders is in a Viper or Raptor helmet and is looking at what appears to be a completely new type of Cylon Centurion. Six tells Roslin that the Five are close. The clip ends with Starbuck lying on her back screaming, "We're going the wrong way!"

Looks better than Season 3, anyway ;)

The current series of small clips is referred to as 'flashbacks', not 'webisodes'. The flashbacks form a 16-minute sequence taken out of Razor that was cut for time purposes and divided into eight two-minute chunks which air every Friday during Flash Gordon (or wait a few hours until they're up on the Sci-Fi Channel, or visit the Ragnar Anchorage website who are also hosting them, apparently region-free as well). The TV version of Razor will not have the flashbacks but the DVD release will.

SPOILER: Flashback #1
It's the Galactica, roughly 4,500 days or 12.5 years into the First Cylon War. Adama is doing the horizontal tango with a female Raptor pilot. They talk about the war. Adama is amazed the war is still going on, as he thought it'd be over before he graduated. We find out that Adama's CO on the Galactica is where he got the, "What do you hear? Nothing but the rain," thing from. There's a big op coming up. Rumour has it that the Cylons are building some kind of superweapon on a remote ice planet defended by heavy Raider forces and massive AA defences. The Galactica Viper and Raptor squadrons are going in. Adama is annoyed at being called a 'rook' even though he hasn't seen combat yet. The flashback ends with the pilots being called to the ready room.

Second webisode was pretty corn and relatively little of interest happened in it. Looks like we have to wait another week for the real mayhem to erupt.

Early review of Razor here. And another one here. Both pretty positive. There is a spoiler in the second review but they did invisi-text it, and I'm not surprised:

SPOILER: Razor
Remember the producers saying that Razor wouldn't address the Season 3 cliffhanger at all? They lied, apparently. The very final scene is a bit of a jaw-dropper that colours events at the end of Crossroads, Part 2 in a very different light. Impressive stuff.

Interesting spoiler about Season 4, although RDM has denied it:

SPOILER: BSG
Roslin apparently dies in episode 11 just after the fleet reaches Earth. This would suggest the entire second half of the season is spent dealing with Earth. But RDM has said this isn't the case. Hmm.

It looks like the increasingly likely Writers' Strike is also going to play a role in deciding if Season 4 airs in one uninterrupted block or if half of it is held back until 2009. They've filmed up to episode 8 of the new season and written up to episode 13 so far.

Writer's strike? WTF.

One half in 2008 and one in 2009? Man that would be a major bummer, what do these assholes have to strike about.

Is Moore himself going on strike, or ois he forced to because he belongs to some union? Or are writers under his management striking and he can't write the remaining episodes without them? The article wasn't really clear to me.

Writer's strike? WTF.

One half in 2008 and one in 2009? Man that would be a major bummer, what do these assholes have to strike about.

Is Moore himself going on strike, or ois he forced to because he belongs to some union? Or are writers under his management striking and he can't write the remaining episodes without them? The article wasn't really clear to me.

Union rules. You can't be a scriptwriter in Hollywood without being a member of the union, so if the union strikes you have to strike as well (and the BSG writing team have made it clear they're not too bothered about the issues the strike is over although I believe one of the issues - writers not being paid extra for web content like the BSG webisodes from last year - was one that they brought to light, go figure).

Interestingly there may be a loophole that the producers may be able to write (and RDM and David Eick are producer-writers and I believe Bradley Thompson and David Weddle as well, who have written many of the show's best episodes) as they're not designated as writers, but I'm not sure how that works.

Okay, far more important is how freaking awesome Flashback No. 3 was:

SPOILER: Flashback 3
I'm pretty sure that's the biggest space battle in BSG's history. Whole fleets of basestars and battlestars blazing away at one another, the Columbia being destroyed (the screams of the 5,000 crewmembers as they're being roasted alive was a grisly touch), multiple dogfights with old-school Cylon Raiders, the atmospheric battle and the cliffhanger ending.

Brief but extremely fun.

Archived