Battlestar Galactica: The new movie + pre-Season 4 thread

Werthead

Although season 3 ended poorly, I'm still sad about the show ending on 4

I don't know how I feel about a Caprica prequel really. >The magic of Battlestar was the post apocalyptic feel early and the mystery later but caprica would have neither. At the moment I'm more excited about stargate the third series which is worrying.

Well, there was a slight problem with there being eight Cylons in the fleet when only seven models are available to pick.* They would have to double up on someone. D'Anna was in a fairly prominent position so a double of hers would be exposed. Leoben, Doran and Six are known Cylon agents by that point, but perhaps with some hair styling or something they could pass undetected (as Gina did).

* Unless Boomer was subliminally aware - somehow - of the Penultimate Four. That would explain her being drawn to Tyrol and that would also make the count much easier: The Four + Cavill + D'Anna + Boomer + 1 other (probably a Simon).

And, naturally, Boomer could have lied on the spot just to save Tyrol. And it is irrelevant now, thanks to New Caprica.

As for the Cloud Nine, that's a good point but that was months after the Cylon Detector stopped being mentioned. As I said, I thought the Tigh/Baltar scene in Season 2, Ep 4 actually cleared up the whole Detector storyline quite nicely.

Here was my problem: as soon as Sharon became an officer I'd be amazingly pissed if I were Adama and Sharon hadn't taken the trouble to inform me who the other cylons were.

What makes me so sad about that is the scene where Baltar torments Sharon into giving up the goods was SUCH an amazingly well-done scene. It kind of hurts to keep remembering that in light of later events.

Some news in about the Razor TV movie and Season 4:

SPOILER: BSG
The TV movie will feature CGI versions of the old series Cylon Raiders, Basestars and Centurions in flashbacks to the First Cylon War. The Patriot Resource (who seem to be right about 75% of the time) also claim that we will learn that Gina and Cain had an intimate relationship before Gina's exposure as a Cylon agent. The new character, Kenara, has the lion's share of the scenes. Boomer/Athena only had a single day of shooting on the TV movie. Apollo and Gina/Six have a reasonable number of scenes.

The first three episodes of the new season proper are called He That Believath in Me, Six of One and The Ties That Bind. Nothing else at all is known at the moment about them.

• 3 weeks later...

Trailer up for Razor. Check it here on the BSGWiki news section (links to download available or here for YouTube).

Not very detailed. No CGI and a few brief shots of Apollo, Adama and Starbuck, but Cain is looking badass on her return.

Trailer up for Razor. Check it here on the BSGWiki news section (links to download available or here for YouTube).

Not very detailed. No CGI and a few brief shots of Apollo, Adama and Starbuck, but Cain is looking badass on her return.

Well not the most promising looking thing but not as bad as I was expecting. Galactica is still the best Scifi thing around now that Firefly is definatly not comming back.

The new B5 movie also looks interesting.

Very interesting.

Sci Fi is extending its "Battlestar Galactica" franchise with a series of "minisodes," each just a few minutes long, set to unspool in October, leading up to a full-length special episode, "Razor," on Nov. 24. The minisodes, which depict the original Cylon war*, will be packaged with a DVD release of "Razor" and be made available on SciFi.com after their on-air run.

* Presumably:

SPOILER: BSG
This is where the rumoured CGI versions of the original series ships will appear.

Also interesting (from the same source), if OT:

Sci Fi is reviving the cult favorite "Farscape," which originally ran on the network from 1999-2003, as a 10-part series on SciFi.com. "Farscape," one of three new broadband-only series being introduced by the network, is executive produced by Brian Henson and Robert Halmi Jr. of the Jim Henson Co. with RHI Entertainment.

He blames the Season 3 problems on the detailed plan they had for the Sagittarian storyline that would run through the whole season. But when they got to 2-3 eps before the finale, he realised the plot was lame and decided to pull it out, which meant re-editing the entire season. Whilst this wasn't all that was wrong with Season 3, the editing is certainly pretty awful throughout the season and this was the cause of that.

He had the whole season all drawn up from the beginning, and didn't realise how hard that subplot sucked until a few eps before the finale? Ouch.

My faith in RDM's storytelling ability is showing another dent. I really hope he manages to pull it out of the fire with the next season.

Ron got nominated for an Emmy today, writing, for the season premiere. Emmy nominations were typically shitty (good to see Neil Patrick Harris get one), but this wasn't bad.

I won't begrudge him that, because the season premiere blew my f'ing socks off. Pretty much sat open-mouthed gaping at the sheer writing balls and daring displayed in that episode. And I wondered how dark they were prepared to go.

Turns out, not really that dark, after about ep3. Everything started to go downhill with Chief's Getting There Just In The Nick Of Time . I'm still kind-of sad that Tigh's still alive, they really missed an opportunity for another gut-punch there. Even if he did get to walk off to battle to the opening guitars in the season finale. Even Adama never got to do that.

And they haven't used Zarek anywhere near enough this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Some spoilers from Comi-Con:

SPOILER: BSG Season 4
Lucy 'Three' Lawless will be back for 2-3 episodes. Apparently she will be unboxed as a part of a Cylon investigation of the Final Five.

Roslin's cancer will be playing for keeps this time and won't be miracle-cured. McDonnell admitted she found how the cancer was dealt with first time around a bit lame.

Apparently Hera has a special destiny (we knew that). Nicky's destiny, as the other Cylon hybrid baby, is less clear.

The, erm, Final One will be revealed towards the end of Season 4.

RDM also said that the possibility for further BSG TV movies, whilst not impossible, may be limited as the gigantic and exceptionally expensive sets they inherited from the mini-series will be torn down for good at the end of Season 4.

EDIT: Edited to get around the contextual Amazon highlighting which was kind of blowing the spoiler :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any news on the release of season 3 to DVD? I'm hoping to catch up in time for season 4 "live"...

I'm in the same boat. So far I've found out that it is being released next week in the UK, but seeing as you're a Hokie, that's not really usefull to either of us.

I don't know if anyone on the board watches the show Robot Chicken, but last night they did a skit about the word "frak" with all the stars of the show doing their own voices. It zooms to the FCC watching the show and the guys watching it asking "What the f*ck are they saying?" It was chucklesome, especially when Tigh asks "Who the frak's been jerkin off in my frakking coffee?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmuK3ECUc7k

You can vote on the Razor DVD packaging here. For your troubles, you get a clip from the episode. Except QuickTime seems to be broken at the moment so I can't play it. Grr. The movie's out on 7 December, about 2 weeks after transmission. No word on a Region 2 release yet.

Article on the dvd here:

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2007/08/28/ba...-for-christmas/

The DVD, retailing for $26.98, is said to contain an additional fifteen minutes of footage in addition to the usual assortment of extras. Among the extras will be the eight mini-episodes the channel will begin airing in October. The lead-in material, which will also be available at their website, will set up events seen in the movie and edited into the home video version. The miniseries features young William Adama, to be played by Nico Cortez and is likely to be about the early Cylon War with glimpses of the original Cylon designs from the ABC series.

Much of Cain’s background will be explored including a hint of romance with Gina. Additionally, part of the story shows Lee Adama in charge of the Pegasus and his search for an XO which introduces Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen as Kendra Shaw.

Didn't know Cain was a lesbian.

Archived