Denver 2008

If you don't spend a lot of money in the dealer's room, it's just a con membership (which you can get for only one day if you just want to attend a BWB event), the flight, some fast food for a few days (you can get the relatively healthy Subway), and some money to donate to the BWB party and buy BWB t-shirts if you want to. You can always crash on someone's floor or get a roll-away. The biggest part is the flight which it does pay to get early.

travel to Denver from Ireland - you might want to consider going thru London, and don't just consider flights bringing you in thru the east coast, check out flights direct from London to Denver, or going thru LAX or SFO. Virgin Air is gaining a toehold on some of those routes. Most folks lately seem to find Aer Lingus a disappointment, American shabby and cramped, so keep that in mind too.

There are blocks of rooms in several hotels in clusters around the convention center. The area has good public transport, so you might even consider looking a little farther away, maybe a suite hotel with a kitchenette, then you can eat breakfast and/or another meal there to save lots of money by not eating in the hotels.

The dollar is going down down down. Don't expect it to get any better than 1euro=$1.40 any time soon. I suspect it may be down to $1.50 by WorldCon.

The hotel rooms will be released all at the same time, and the party hotel and the closer hotels will go first, so I suggest you know what hotel and what type of room you want, and have a back-up chosen as well.

I would say at the latest you'd have to get a ticket maybe 6-8 weeks out, maybe earlier depending on how the summer travel season shapes up, but that should be apparent by May.

Wert- There is a hostel less than a mile from the convention center, too, and it's on a bus line. I looked into it myself, so if anyone is into super-cheap accomodations, there ya go. (Actually, I think there are a few others in the downtown area, that one just seemed the easiest to get to.)

Wert- There is a hostel less than a mile from the convention center, too, and it's on a bus line. I looked into it myself, so if anyone is into super-cheap accomodations, there ya go. (Actually, I think there are a few others in the downtown area, that one just seemed the easiest to get to.)

Kat, I know we haven't really made plans yet, but is this hostel where you're thinking of the four of us bunking, or are we intending to grab a hotel room from what's reserved for the Con?

Kat, I know we haven't really made plans yet, but is this hostel where you're thinking of the four of us bunking, or are we intending to grab a hotel room from what's reserved for the Con?

Well, I'd like to try for one of the actual hotel rooms, but I think someone else is going to have to book it if rooms tend to go quickly, because I'm going to be out of the country until Jan 21.

Was just telling Wert because my backup plan (pre-roomies) was to stay at a hostel.

travel to Denver from Ireland - you might want to consider going thru London, and don't just consider flights bringing you in thru the east coast, check out flights direct from London to Denver, or going thru LAX or SFO. Virgin Air is gaining a toehold on some of those routes. Most folks lately seem to find Aer Lingus a disappointment, American shabby and cramped, so keep that in mind too.

Hmm. :) I was tempted to go through the East Coast to Denver. But I suppose airports like JFK and Chicago don't have a good reputation. But then, Heathrow doesn't either. The cheapest option is currently via Newark but there is always some sort of sale in January. Aer Lingus are very slowly improving their aircraft but you can easily be dissappointed with the older ones.

I talked to LugaJetBoyGirl and she told me there are only 250-300 hotel rooms in the convention block for the party hotel. Is that true? If so (and even if not so), how long do you think it will be after Jan 1 before the party hotel sells out?

That sounds like a very low number. I'll be booking on the day they are released (if I know about it). You can cancel without paying any fee, so why not.

Jon - unfortunately, your friend has it right. At the time I write this, the convention has about 250-300 rooms in the party hotel. They will go within hours. So will most of the other choice locations. If the Bros are planning on getting a suite, even if it's only for one night, I hope your BWB hosts have alredy made a request for that suite.

Right now, according to the denvention web site, the hotel reservations will start on Jan 21. I don't know if this means the reservations will start a minute after midnight, or GMT time, or MST time.

If anyone has a real need to get into a specific type of room or a specifc hotel, I urge you to be prepared, know which hotels and room type you desire, have a backup choice, and just keep lurking on the Denver site Jan 20-21 while you wait for the reservations to open.

Yeah, this one is going to be scary, but Denvention has no idea when they started that the DNC would be coming to town, which pushed around several bigger conventions on the calendar. We'll be sharing the convention center with a John Deere convention (I think it's John Deere, or one of the US automakers).

Once we get settled in, it should be like most other WorldCons: a snug little universe fill with several thousand weird and wonderful people.

Given the strength of the euro v dollar, the Euro-Bros should be sweeping up collectible books in the hucksters room and buying the good wine to go with dinner .

Archived