Denver 2008

Nah, Worldcon lets you have a "badge name." WFC was too formal or professional in that regard.

Mine is "Jon Targaryen BWB." "BWB" being for the con newbs.

Haha. I never use the same badge name twice. Haven't decided on a name yet for this year, assuming I will be in attendance. :P

Okay, my finances are in a state of advanced chaos (had to move house twice in the last three months, will probably have to move once more in the next couple of months), throwing my attendence into doubt. However, I've also had a 100% pay increase by changing jobs, which could bring it back into the realm of 'just about possible'.

If I do go, I suspect it will be a (relatively) last-minute thing.

You should try to book a membership before January 1. That's when they're raising membership prices.

I'm going to try my best to join before then. I didn't know they had an installment plan for poor people like me, but it makes me happy. :) Either way, I'll also be looking for a roommate or, preferably, multiple roommates or someone who will let me sleep on the floor, if you can stand to be around someone so cheap. ;)

I'm going to be looking at my finances in a few days and try to conservatively estimate how much my trip to Toronto will cost me. If I think I can afford a flight from SLUT to Denver, plus cost of attendance, board, and food, I would like to be your roomie, Kat, if you haven't already found one. :P

And talk about cheap, does it cost extra to ask for one of those wheel in extra beds, so we can squeeze in a third person? :P I'll take that one, myself, if it'll save money.

I'm going to be looking at my finances in a few days and try to conservatively estimate how much my trip to Toronto will cost me. If I think I can afford a flight from SLUT to Denver, plus cost of attendance, board, and food, I would like to be your roomie, Kat, if you haven't already found one. :P

And talk about cheap, does it cost extra to ask for one of those wheel in extra beds, so we can squeeze in a third person? :P I'll take that one, myself, if it'll save money.

Cool, I sent you a PM. We'll talk. :)

Edit: Another question, if anyone knows the answer...anyone know if having a supporting membership allows one to participate in Hugo nominations?

I need a roommate too. I think I remember reading in this or another Denver thread that you cannot buy party hotel rooms until the first of the year. I will be doing so. Two beds, non-smoking. If anyone wants to get the other bed or get a rollaway or crash on the floor, PM me.

I haven't decided which hotel I want to stay in yet, but I don't want to defer the decision too long for fear of not being able to get the room I want.

It will be my first science fiction con. (Paper doll collectors' conventions are very tame.) For those who've gone to WorldCons before, is it possible to sleep in the party hotels, or are they too noisy?

It will be my first science fiction con. (Paper doll collectors' conventions are very tame.) For those who've gone to WorldCons before, is it possible to sleep in the party hotels, or are they too noisy?

I've never had a problem sleeping in a party hotel. Never even noticed it been particularly noisy even on the party floors once it gets to around 3 or so in the morning. There will be non party floors in the party hotel if you want to be sure you'll be ok (or a light sleeper), they will be even quieter. :)

Actually, the one time there was some trouble was in LA. That's because there were rooms overhangin these open air areas where people partied. I doubt we'll have those in Denver, so it wouldn't be an issue.

I've never had a problem sleeping in a party hotel. Never even noticed it been particularly noisy even on the party floors once it gets to around 3 or so in the morning. There will be non party floors in the party hotel if you want to be sure you'll be ok (or a light sleeper), they will be even quieter. :)

Actually, the one time there was some trouble was in LA. That's because there were rooms overhangin these open air areas where people partied. I doubt we'll have those in Denver, so it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Pod! That's good to know.

Edit: Another question, if anyone knows the answer...anyone know if having a supporting membership allows one to participate in Hugo nominations?

AS Pod noted, yes, a supporting membership in the current Worldcon gives you the privilege of submitting your nominations for the Hugo ballot. Usually, the nominating ballot goes out in late winter/early Spring.

What some folks may not realize is that if you are a member of the previous WorldCon you also have the privilege of nominating for the Hugos. You have to buy a membership in the current WorldCon to vote on the final Hugo ballot, as well as for site selection. Just keep that postcard or PR report that gets mailed to you, so you'll have your voting PIN code and membership number.

Nominating is great fun, a very small percentage of members vote on the nominations, so your votes carry a bit more weight than in the final balloting. You can seek out the weird and unusual, the obscure and the popular works that others suggest and take a little time to read more stories before you vote. You do not have to be an 'expert' and have read as many stories as Stego has in the past year to nominate. You do not have to nominate a full slate in any category, you do not have to vote in every category. Note how large the totals are in the 'novel' and 'long-form media' categories are compared to the 'fan' categories.

So please, do put together your best of lists for 2007, talk about them with other folks likely to vote, and enjoy the process, it can be a real education in what fine work is out there that you didn't even know existed, and your votes are meaningful to the people and works who do get nominated.

At the moment I have no idea if I can make it to Denver or not. What, realistically, is the latest I have to finally commit by? I understand getting a membership ASAP is a good idea but in terms of likely hotel availability, flights etc? I seem to remember some people decided to go to LA fairly late in the day and were still able to make it and find somewhere to crash.

Also, any idea on how much money (rough ballpark figure) it's good to have to hand during the con?

Hotel availability - well, there'll always be a floor somewhere if nothing else. Flight prices generally go up the closer you get to the date, so booking as early as possible is usually the cheapest option there. Money - depends how much you want to get from the dealers room (me, maybe 4 or 5 books. Stego, a suitcase full). The other main source of expenditure is on food and drink, and I have no idea what American prices are in that respect.

Archived