Denver 2008

ETA: Actually my first con was last year at LA and nothing bad happened to me. But I did hear that at another con (I forget which) they put some poor guy who was passed ou.. umm... sleeping.. in a recliner in an elevator (still in the chair) and sent him off to who-knows-where. So be careful!

Just for the record, the noOb was returned to the con suite safe and sound after his little er... sidetrip (I think it was Xray who led the rescue party). :thumbsup:

Count me in. I'll book the days off and start saving!

It'll be my first con, so be gentle :)

Don't be silly. By now you're a hardcore Euro Bwber ;) Cons are bound to be a good bit less daunting :P

This is dumb, but I can't remember the answer...

Membership for Denver is $175 right now, since I didn't vote in the site selection. Is that price going to go up if I buy membership later, or does it stay the same?

Seriously. And they wonder why young people aren't going to Worldcon? That's one reason why. :cry: (I mean, I could go camping for a weekend for pretty cheap, including accomodations, food and booze...or I could spend a shitload to go to a con. Or I could just hang out in the woods and read. It's a tough choice, really.)

On the other hand, $175 is less than the price of two textbooks, so if I consider that depressing thought, I really should be going...

*starts looking for sell-out oil company job to afford membership*

</whine>

*feels poor*

You know, being a geek is awfully expensive sometimes. :cry:

worldcon IS pricey. But it is the king of fantasy geek cons. For a lot of the people who attend, it is the ONLY vacation they take all year. I think I'm going to purchase membership next month

Seriously. And they wonder why young people aren't going to Worldcon? That's one reason why. :cry: (I mean, I could go camping for a weekend for pretty cheap, including accommodations, food and booze...or I could spend a shitload to go to a con. Or I could just hang out in the woods and read. It's a tough choice, really.)

WorldCon committees do everything they can to keep costs low. Worldcons are run completely by volunteers. The only people who get 'free rides' are the GoHs. WorldCons don't make big bucks from corporate sponsors, it's just mostly fans, pros, dealers who fund the cons.

We're considered 'bottom feeders' as far as convention centers and hotels are concerned. We do everything we can to make it affordable, and do a better job than most other SF-genre media-intense conventions. But we do have to pay for using the convention center, facilities and a host of expenses that the average attendees may not consider.

When I started going to cons, the WorldCon at the door fee was $50. In 1975. Adjusted for inflation, the current fees are not much higher. Every year it was an enormous struggle for me to raise the cash to go to WorldCon, and there many years I just couldn't manage it. The current membership fee breaks down to $35 a day for five days. I can assure you, you'll get your money's worth at WorldCon.

Get your membership as soon as you can afford it, and if your own circumstances are such that you find you can't attend, you can sell your membership to someone who can attend. It's legal, and the transfer is not difficult to do.

There's many ways to reduce your costs; share a room with friends, find a local hostel for students and come to the convention on public transport. Bring a cooler, and get some simple to prepare nutritious foods that you can use for breakfast and lunch instead of paying the high costs of hotel restaurants. Try to start saving early for the convention by tossing your change into a jar, or whatever method of 'stealth saving' works for you. Tell you favorite auntie all you want for Christmas is a contribution to your WorldCon fund.

If you like SF literature, you'll get a chance to hear writers and editors talk about their work, craft and trade. There's a large video-movie schedule at most WCs, you can spend most of a con in the video rooms if so desired. Writers do talks, readings and signings throughout the schedule. Artists display their work in the art show, and offer workshops and demos. At some worldcons, there's writing contests and workshops for beginning writers. Plus a great dealer's room with everything from books to corsets to collectible books to filk music to limited edition books to art prints to really fabulous books you've been looking for for years and then there's even more books.

PS: Younger people seem to go to DragonCon and SDCC because of the intense concentration on media, film and comics at those conventions. Those conventions are profit-driven, corporate entities, and they make a load of money from the members and the various media conglomerates who spend a lot of money to present their merchandise to attendees. WorldCon, the grandaddy of all SF genre cons, is non-profit, is more focused on the literary aspects of SF/F and fandom as a culture. Many WCs do outreach to colleges nearby if there is a SF club or some such on campus. But we're mostly a self-selecting group, and given the nature of WorldCons and the people who are crazy enough to want to run them, that is not likely to change.

keep saving and planning for your first WorldCon, and I hope we'll get to meet next year in Denver.

worldcon IS pricey. But it is the king of fantasy geek cons. For a lot of the people who attend, it is the ONLY vacation they take all year. I think I'm going to purchase membership next month

am so looking forward to seeing you again, Trebs, it's been too damn long.

Archived