More MLB

Jaxom 1974

Good win today. Washinton picked us up after the Cubs dropped the ball yesterday. 4 1/2 back. Let's get one more tomorrow.

Im giggling like a child reading and making these posts. Damn this is exciting. That damn team pulls me in every time.

Question for the Cubs fans:

If you were walking down the street, holding a loading gun, and Steve Bartman walked by, what would you do?

Walk by.

Bartman was merely one aspect of a complete implosion and it was easier to blame him than the team after a season like that.

He didn't cause Gonzalez to boot an easy double play ball. He didn't make Dusty keep Prior in a little longer than he should have. He didn't keep the Cubs from winning game 7. Hell, I don't know if I'm certain Alou would have even caught that ball.

Walk by.

Bartman was merely one aspect of a complete implosion and it was easier to blame him than the team after a season like that.

He didn't cause Gonzalez to boot an easy double play ball. He didn't make Dusty keep Prior in a little longer than he should have. He didn't keep the Cubs from winning game 7. Hell, I don't know if I'm certain Alou would have even caught that ball.

My thoughts exactly. I dont care one wayor the other about Bartman. Whose to say I wouldnt have reached for the ball. if anything I blame the rooftop people who were touching the AC pennent number in the right right rooftop next to the torco sign.Im not a superstitious guy, but seriously, we are talking about the Cubs here, and Im not taking my chances.

Damn. That wasn't as fun as I thought it would be :P

See, your misconception here was that Cubs fans are just oblivious, Old Style swilling party mongers who hit Wrigley just to check out the bikini clad babes in the bleachers. Actually, all true Cubs fans are like that. But we true fans actually pay attention to the actual game on the field between stares and calling the beer guy over for another round. :P

See, your misconception here was that Cubs fans are just oblivious, Old Style swilling party mongers who hit Wrigley just to check out the bikini clad babes in the bleachers. Actually, all true Cubs fans are like that. But we true fans actually pay attention to the actual game on the field between stares and calling the beer guy over for another round. :P

I like to star at the conservative hot blond chicks wearing the sundresses. I like the girls that Old Man Arne Harris would put the cameras on.

White Sox don't deserve him at that price with all of the bullshit they put him through. I would have liked to see him walk away from them at the end of the year after that. I normally like and respect Kenny Williams, but man I didn't like that at all.

White Sox don't deserve him at that price with all of the bullshit they put him through. I would have liked to see him walk away from them at the end of the year after that. I normally like and respect Kenny Williams, but man I didn't like that at all.

Despite, or is it because of, being a Cubs fan, I can't find anything wrong with that statement at all. Loathe though I am to see Burhle in a Cardinals uniform (wanna bet there's some sort of clause in the contract regarding trades there?) he didn't deserve what the White Sox did.

The 4 years 14 mil a year for Buehrle reinforces to me what a great sign Lilly is turning out to be.

The problem with the Sox signing Lilly, is that it may mean they wont be signing Garland. The Sox are very cheap. Also, this signing does not improve the White Sox. It is a bad team holding onto a good player. The Sox farm system is in absolute shambles. In the next 4 years (during the Buehrle years) they will have to win through free agency, and I dont see them having the money to do that.

IMO, the signing was bad, not because they are giving up too much money, but because they could have traded him for some farmhands that would have really improved the system. I simply dont see the Sox winning that division over the next four years

Jax,

I heard Dave Duncan and Larussa did not want Mark Buehrle.

The 4 years 14 mil a year for Buehrle reinforces to me what a great sign Lilly is turning out to be.

The problem with the Sox signing Lilly, is that it may mean they wont be signing Garland. The Sox are very cheap. Also, this signing does not improve the White Sox. It is a bad team holding onto a good player. The Sox farm system is in absolute shambles. In the next 4 years (during the Buehrle years) they will have to win through free agency, and I dont see them having the money to do that.

IMO, the signing was bad, not because they are giving up too much money, but because they could have traded him for some farmhands that would have really improved the system. I simply dont see the Sox winning that division over the next four years

Jax,

From what I read, the problem was that the Pale Hose were asking too much in return. For instance, the Dodgers inquired and the Sox wanted up-and-comer Matt Kemp and an additional prospect - for a pitcher who'd be a FA at the end of this season, that price is too steep, IMHO (and that's considering that I think LA needs another dependable SP). But then, I usually think rent-a-pitcher trades are a bad idea anyway.

Besides, it sounds to me like Buehrle really wanted to stay in Chicago. At least, that's what I thought when I heard the original sticking point was that they didn't want to give him a no-trade clause. Personally, I think he could've made more money by accepting a trade and immediately hammering out a long-term deal with his new club.

Slightly off-topic, but 'fess up, which of you was this?

From the Chronicle article on Home Run Derby and people waiting for balls in McCovey Cove:

...When the slugging started in batting practice, the boaters lined up, paddle to paddle, and raised their open fishing nets toward the ballpark expectantly, like baby birds demanding to be fed.

Cove regular Larry Ellison of Fairfield was among the first to snag a souvenir, one of hundreds he's collected -- but grabbing a batting practice ball is the McCovey Cove equivalent of kissing your sister.

He had no regrets about his choice of venue.

"This is where the action is,'' he said.

Still, there was a lot of time to kill. Rafter Daniel Skadal made it deep into a thick novel, "A Clash of Kings.''

Refreshments were served to the waterborne captains when a representative of the company that makes Baby Ruth candy bars began tossing the confections from the shore toward the boats. For a time, it was raining candy bars in San Francisco Bay. ...

Jax,

Don't know about that one way or another. But seeing as Larussa is (possibly) hanging by a thread in St. Louis come the end of the season...I don't know that he keeps his job if they Cardinals finish anything less than second and only if that's after a hotly contested race. They may or may not have the horses come September.

Archived