And an altogether different take on fantasy

kcf

I have to agree, as after reading more of his posts in the following months, he seemed to stretching out to try and grab the Chouinard audience (after all, his ploys remind me of Gabe at his absolute worst more than anything else, with little of Gabe's redeeming points). I toyed with the idea of linking to his gleeful noting that another portrayed him as a martyr-like person in that SF Signal interview, but I thought it'd be best to let that die the silent death that it deserved.

The thing about Gabe that separated him a lot of what came after (and mind you I'm aware of the angst against the guy now - and honestly initially had reason to feel the same but didn't publicly because in the end he made things right with me as far as I'm concerned) is that he had credibility.

How?

Point blank the guy was writing a column at SF Site. Whether ones likes SF Site or not - the numbers they generate (even though only updated monthly) dwarfs any pundit with a blog . Assholes who think they have some authority because 1000 people may visit there blog a day is ludicrous and laughable. The effect is inconsequential. Now, that doesn't mean I think he's doing is not welcome or somebody isn't doing their own thing well, or saying I don't enjoy reading it, or anything like that at all. SF Site has an established reputation and generates unique numbers and they do it by simply existing not having to go on crusade to remind people they still do in fact exist.

Beyond that, civility and politeness costs nothing - it's something I admittedly didn't learn until very late but it's a valuable lesson learned.

That why I said Gabe had his redeeming points - dude had earned his right to promote certain books/points of view and I for one (and knowing that I'm one of tens of thousands, if not more) benefited from being exposed to some of those authors. But unfortunately, some took Gabe's worst moments as being the core of what it took to stand out in this field. Yes, politeness and civility is paramount if one wants to learn more in the field and in life, I've found. After all, if I kept just to my opinion, would I have learned about all these hundreds or even thousands of SF authors whose works are a delight to read? :D

Honestly, no. At least as I understand his stated reasoning -- he started a blog for a specific reason, and then the dreaded BLOG DRIFT infested the place. Now, instead of writing about whatever he originally started the blog for, it's turned into a bitchfest. Once that downward slide has happened, it's almost impossible to go back.

I've seen two of my favorite blogs disintegrate in just this way in the last year. Both started as science blogs (one evolutionary biology, one cosmology and theoretical physics), and now both regularly post angry rants against the asshattery of the American Christian Right ("evolution is a lie, 'cos I ain't no monkey man") or the current administration.

It sucks to be angry all the time. And maybe the end of the year is a good time to angle for a change?

Maybe so, but I don't know if I'd use another's justification as an excuse. But I can understand the need to re-evaluate. Lord knows I let the OF Blog coast along for three years before I found a purpose for it, but since I don't usually engage in arguments there, I think there's little risk for the invective levels to rise there. But yeah, being negative and bitchy can be very draining, I'd imagine. Best just to blog about fairly specific and self-centered things like reviews than about others, it seems.

Why is it that bloggers take themselves so seriously?

Because some of us can't take others seriously at all? ;) I don't know, really. I just view it all being little more than an exercise in irony in the end.

Why is it that bloggers take themselves so seriously?

A thought that does sometimes come to mind. But to be fair a lot of folks just seem to blog for instance for reviews simply because they enjoy putting their stuff up there and having it read. Bloggers are just like regular human beings in the end, some wil be more down-to-earth when others will be more full of themselves.

In any case I'm not peeved about McCalmont or Harrison shutting down.

Archived