And an altogether different take on fantasy

kcf

For some reasons I can't even explain to myself (masochism???) I wen't over to Kit Whifield's blog. The whole "authoritarian" issue is I think a bit of a long shot. Applicability of theory created by the Bob Altmayer is dubious, here. I really can't see a connection between 9/11 and ASOIAF. I think the whole point may be completely missed. That's why I'm going to read this online book.

BTW, has anybody read Kit's book? From the description, it reminds of Scar Night.

Oh Jesus. I read the posts in response to the original and I read his "I wash my hands of you" post, and I have to say, if he wants to keep on posting on the internet, McCalmont needs to grow a spine. The vast majority of the posts contradicting or disagreeing with him were lucid and well-argued. Sure, they were a little hostile at times, but not what a thinking person would call rude. Combative, perhaps, and perfectly reasonable given the way McCalmont started it off with the "passive and sheeplike" insults (which he later, tellingly, tried to mealy-mouth away as "out of context" or "I wasn't talking about all of you, just the ones who wouldn't bother to respond on my own page" like the sad little prat he seems to be).

Only a handful of the comments on that thread were truly negative or insulting.

I suspect McCalmont is also one of those people who, while disavowing such threads and whining piteously about how much he's been attacked, obsessively reads threads about himself. So McCalmont, if you're reading this: you're a pussy. Pussy pussy pussy. A cunt. A wanker. A cunty wanker. Try climbing out of your own ivoried asshole every once in a while.

Oh Jesus. I read the posts in response to the original and I read his "I wash my hands of you" post, and I have to say, if he wants to keep on posting on the internet, McCalmont needs to grow a spine.

Even Mystar defended his arguments better ;)

I think fantasy fans are conservative, passive and sheep-like because the economics of the fantasy genre show that less adventurous books systematically outsell anyone who tries to progress the genre.

While he has a point here, the same could be said of all other genres. How many trash romance novels collectively outsell Pride and Prejudice? How many hacks write cheap thrillers that collectively outsell Hannibal? I guess every genre's readership must be conservative, passive and sheep-like.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old post but I accidentally (unfortunately) stumbled on this

It goes beyond simply having an (in this case one apparently based on incomplete research - and on Tobacco Road (where I didn't learn any of those cool big words in that diatribe, we used to call this ignorance) opinion.

These things are much simpler than commentary would suggest: Seemed like a stab for page views to me. It's no different than someone coming here and saying I have a link to X but you have to go to my site to get there (instead of just posting the link). One must understood that an active link from a site like this (or a WOT) present a major increase in traffic for blog. The blogging community tends to talk in circles and eventually you will find discussing things with people who pretty much agree with you at least on a fundamental level so what you do is stir the pot and drop a name like Harrison and hope it draws the interest of that rather anal segment as well (one noted author called it the "British Bloc").

In the end it would be at least interesting if it was coming from somebody Delany, Wolfe or more likely (and comedically) Goodkind- but damn people, we are getting pretty random here. It's not the Washington Post it's the SF Diplomat.

I like seeing the fight and even see the logic in the argument but in this case silence and no-page views would have been a stronger statement.

I have to agree, as after reading more of his posts in the following months, he seemed to stretching out to try and grab the Chouinard audience (after all, his ploys remind me of Gabe at his absolute worst more than anything else, with little of Gabe's redeeming points). I toyed with the idea of linking to his gleeful noting that another portrayed him as a martyr-like person in that SF Signal interview, but I thought it'd be best to let that die the silent death that it deserved.

I toyed with the idea of linking to his gleeful noting that another portrayed him as a martyr-like person in that SF Signal interview, but I thought it'd be best to let that die the silent death that it deserved.

Huzzah!

Although, to be honest, you and I both know that an actual discussion of a genre's limitations and biases (from both reader and writer) would be an interesting one, so long as one leaves the broadbrushed characterizations out of it. I am pretty sure that this is not the place for that discussion, though. ;)

Archived