And an altogether different take on fantasy

kcf

It's amusing that his postion has been demolished more thoroughly than a stack of cards in an earthquake yet he stubbornly holds onto his untenable position. It's like debating with [poster name redacted for politeness' sake] but with better grammar.

Someone should point out that Martin has been a professional writer since the age of 20 and making a living is probably a lot higher on his list of priorities than writing art for art's sake.

Ah, now the selective reading comes into play. He's read this thread, spotted the mistake I made (I confused him with someone using a very similar debating technique on SFFWorld a few years back) and then failed to acknowledge the apology I gave him when Dylanfanatic spotted it.

Anyhow, if nothing else this has been educational. One of criticisms I've seen of GRRM over the years is the lack of deeper themes in ASoIaF, but now I can add subtle anti-authoritarianism to the use, abuse and consequences of power as a key theme of the series, and it'll certainly cover my next read of AFFC in particular. Plus it generated a five-page thread during a slow week.

Yeah, I read through that section and noticed that as well. Oh well. I had thought about commenting at length again, but since there are still some awkwardly-defined words (such as the failure to realize that "liberal" in history isn't what it means in American politics, among many others), I think I'll just wait for it to die out.

After all, I have more important things to worry about, such as trying to see if a single Hugo nominee for Best Novel will actually be worthy of having such a moniker attached to it ;)

The liberal thing is more surprising as I believe he's actually British.

As for the Hugo Awards, QFT. Temeraire will probably win it and will be a far less deserving winner than Spin. At least Spin had some good ideas at heart, even if it was far too reminiscent of other novels (Contact and Childhood's End keep coming to mind as I read it). That did fit in with the whole retroactive-look-at-SF thing that was apparently big at the awards last year. Temeraire on the other hand is just a cute 'n' cuddly but rather insignificant big ball of fluff.

That does remind me that I do need to pick up a copy of Blindsight though.

Err, Spin already won the Hugo... last year. ;)

Nominees list here.

I'm dubious that His Majesty's Dragon will win it, though I think it's a better pick than some of the novels on the list (it may not be deep literature, but I think it exactly achieves its aims and is entertaining as it does so, which is nothing to be scoffed at in a first-time author).

That said, I suspect Eifelheim is the frontrunner.

I liked Eifelheim. I'm pulling for it to win.

On topic, I notice JM seems to have divided SFF along somewhat strange lines. To him, epic fantasy is conservative, while sci-fi deals with big ideas. How else would you justify calling Baroque Cycle sci-fi and not fantasy? (me, I'd call it shoddy historical fiction, but that's how my tastes run)

The lines between all these sub-genres are so blurred though. I would rather judge each work as an independent work and not representative of any field. Generalizations are odious. This also seems to be an issue with some of the commentary by Martin fans - not wanting GRRM to be lumped with other heroic fantasy. A lot of heroic fantasy is conservative by the definition of JM, however, a lot of sci-fi, especially space opera, is equally conservative (band of rebels overthrows the evil hegemon to establish new world government).

Apparently we've scared him off and he'll never talk about fantasy again.

McC has mistaken robust debate for a vindictive hate campaign and has presented himself as a martyr set upon by rabid GRRM fans rather than, as actually is the case, someone who didn't put very much thought into their argument and was taken by surprise when he was called on it and unable to provide any kind of response using specific examples and sources which he'd actually read.

Is this what passes for debate these days? :stunned:

Archived