NFL VI

Kalbear

You are not going to convince or change anyone's mind. Give it up. People have their opinons. The penalty is wrong and not applied evenly. Even worse than holding and blocks in the back.
I dunno. Looking at that screenshot...I guess it's tough for me to imagine that anyone could look at that and say "Nope, Hobbs was looking for the ball before contact was made". But I could be wrong.

I agree. Or I think they need to have two levels of PI - incidental and blatant. Having 50 yard penalties for that sort of thing is not right.

But as the rule is written and enforced, that's DPI.

True. Manning didn't have the best game. And at times it seemed like the Patriots threw it up there for a call as well (getting an interception and a catch by Moss). But to see something called PI one week and not the next week is frustrating. It is also exciting. Gives us something to yell about. I was scared Rodney Harrison would get called for a PI call, then I was yelling at Dallas Clark for tackling him. It just seemed like the Refs in that game were over matched.

With the Patriots it's totally different. The Patriots never do wrong, it's always the fault of the NFL, or the other teams brought this one themselves, oh yeah and fuck Peyton Manning. Every single NFL column brings new justifications for the Pats, and why it's so unfair everyone is out to get them. Even when the Pats win a tight, close, exciting game like last week, he whines; about the refs and bad calls. The calls weren't that bad, and the Pats still won! It's not like they were cheated out of victory, they just didn't get a blowout against their hated rivals; and like a spoiled child he's upset that he didn't get his wish, for the Pats to go 19-0 against the spread.

That's the perfect discription of every Pats fan.

And you all know it, too.

Right. Because chicks who look like that put pictures of themselves in their avatars on fantasy book message boards. If Jaime were a her, "her" PM box would literally explode.

Have I ever told you about the PM I got from the guy that asked me if I was the girl in my av? (When Eliza was licking her middle finger...) He said: "Hey Mya! Is that you in that pic? Cuz you're really HOT!" I could not believe the stupidity of it all. :P

I mean, I'm "cute"...but I'm no Eliza.

And I just tookover the NFL thread to say all of this.

On topic:

Simmons' writing. I mean, enough whining already. The game was chalk-full of bad calls, we get it. He would have written about it when it was relevent (as in, Monday), but his wife just gave birth to their son the week before. I'm not trying to make excuses, believe me. That article was painful when he started talking about the game.

But the "Victory" stuff made me laugh. What can I say. Dub made me watch that movie earlier this year, so I appreciated the mention. *shrugs*

I almost wonder if the higher-ups at ESPN.com pigeon-hole him into writing about homerish stuff now. I mean, all things considered - New England sports is on FIRE right now. You can't really deny that. Again, just a thought.

I agree that his '01-'04 writing was far superior, btw. He was a must-read for me, too. And even as a homer, like I am...now I skim his stuff at best. His mailbags are what make me laugh now - and that's mainly because the emails he gets are absurd. Not him. Which makes Mya sad. It's like watching Eddie Murphy Raw, or in Coming to America, and then watching Eddie Murphy in Dr. Doolittle. He's totally lost a step. Or 12.

And Jaim, if you're threatening ESPN, do me a favor. Include me for the "New England Homer" part. I'm way more entertaining - and I add that feisty chick dynamic. :P

I agree. Or I think they need to have two levels of PI - incidental and blatant. Having 50 yard penalties for that sort of thing is not right.

But as the rule is written and enforced, that's DPI.

I'd be in favor of this. You can't make all PI 15 yard penalties because that gives DBs free reign to tackle WRs the second they're beat on bombs.

I almost wonder if the higher-ups at ESPN.com pigeon-hole him into writing about homerish stuff now. I mean, all things considered - New England sports is on FIRE right now. You can't really deny that. Again, just a thought.

It's possible. This is a beyond remarkable time for Boston Sports. Has any city been this on fire across multiple sports? None I know of.

I agree that his '01-'04 writing was far superior, btw. He was a must-read for me, too. And even as a homer, like I am...now I skim his stuff at best. His mailbags are what make me laugh now - and that's mainly because the emails he gets are absurd.

His mailbags remain the best thing he does. He plays off the readers well, and they provide the creativity he's lost. Also still enjoy the running diaries. The rest though? I find myself skimming now.

And Jaim, if you're threatening ESPN, do me a favor. Include me for the "New England Homer" part. I'm way more entertaining - and I add that feisty chick dynamic. :P

I think everyone would be in favor of this.

I'll see what strings I can pull, My.

Griese goes out hurt. In comes sexy Rexy. First play, fumbled snap. Second play, Lovie has him handoff on 3rd and 19. Punt time comes for the Bears.

Did he drop the snap? I thought he just got hammered. And not in a way he'd probably prefer.

Did he drop the snap? I thought he just got hammered. And not in a way he'd probably prefer.

That's what I thought. Then I saw the replay. He just out-and-out dropped the snap, dived on it, and then got sat on.

Agree with Ibis about the game; I really don't want to watch Oakland/Chicago, even IF Oakland is being dumb enough to kick to Hester every time. I want to watch Dallas/NYG. Oh, well.

I hate it when I'm right about Peterson. Hate it. I hope he's okay.

Oh shit. He really got hurt?

You jinxed him, Kal. Can you also state clearly that my labor and delivery will go off without a hitch? And be painless?

ETA: Obviously, this is Mya, as Dub can not possibly be the one pushing this kid out. :P

Archived