South Africa 2010 - Thread the first

The Iceman of the North

That being so, they could have nipped over on 29th March and had two days there instead of two hours. Still not a full week, although you wonder why they wouldn't schedule La Paz matches (and Quito for that matter) so that teams didn't have any other fixtures in the days beforehand.

I was led to believe that the only 2 options are to come a week before and acclimatise or fly in just before the match. Sounds like option 2 didn't work so well for some reason. :) Anyhow, doing something in between was supposed to be a lot worse. Body has half-acclimatised and gets completely messed up.

Hmm, reminds me of our away match to China - though they moved it by choice to Kunming (altitude 1900m) - didn't really pan out for them as their players looked about as buggered by the atmosphere as ours and they'd been acclimatised for weeks. Does crazy things to ball movement as well, Schwarzer's goal kicks were flying out on the full.

Mexico is still in decent shape to qualify, but their schedule is tough. In June, they have yet another road game, against El Salvador, and then the US three days later. Any more than 4 points in that stretch is highly unlikely - 2 or 3 is my guess. That will leave them in a tight spot at the qualifying midpoint. The silver lining, though, will be an easy final five: Trini twice, El Salvador, Honduras and a visit to Costa Rica.

The US doesn't travel to Mexico until the single game round on August 12th. I can't see T&T or El Salvador really making a push to get into contention for a birth so at most worst Mexico would finish 4th and get a shot at South America's 5th place squad.

Holland are coasting through this group. 15 points out of 5, we're already as good as qualified. It's a combination of a very good team coupled to what I perceive as a very averga group. Scotland were horrible. Macedonia were horrible. Unless that's just the pressure exterted by the Dutch team. Still, very little in the way of decent opposition.

• 2 months later...

*Kicks thread out of Hibernation*

Its Super June!

AFC finishes up over the next two weeks

June 6th matches:

A

Qatar vs Australia - The Aussies need a point to secure qualification but will likely play without talismanic Tim Cahill, their backline unsettled by injury to Moore and Wikshire's suspension. Qatar needs a win here to keep afloat - a loss here plus Uzbek picking up points will see them eliminated.

Uzbekistan vs Japan - Japan is also dotting the last few 'i's prior to claiming their spot, should they win they would be the first to qualify (thanks, timezones :( ). Uzbekistan, still in the hunt for playoff spot will take anything they can get.

B

UAE vs Korea Republic - This game hangs on the UAE, out of the running despite some great performances will they go wild or not show up?

DPR Korea vs Iran - Decisive showdown on the Korean peninsula, both sides have cancelled all leave and are deployi... oh wait, wrong showdown. Iran have to win here to stay in the race for auto-qualification and NK will be taking no chances with Saudi right behind them on the ladder. Could go thermonuclear... or fizzle.

DPR Korea vs Iran - Decisive showdown on the Korean peninsula, both sides have cancelled all leave and are deployi... oh wait, wrong showdown. Iran have to win here to stay in the race for auto-qualification and NK will be taking no chances with Saudi right behind them on the ladder. Could go thermonuclear... or fizzle.

Heh. :P

Big game for Ireland also this weekend. I keep expecting to be exposed badly but so far we have got away with it. And Bulgaria have struggled so far also.

Qatar vs Australia - The Aussies need a point to secure qualification but will likely play without talismanic Tim Cahill, their backline unsettled by injury to Moore and Wikshire's suspension. Qatar needs a win here to keep afloat - a loss here plus Uzbek picking up points will see them eliminated.

Looking forward to this one. We just need that one point...

Of course things are a bit different this time around - I doubt we will see any of

in the Qatar vs. 'Roos game. But an important game for the Socceroos nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see what Verbeek does as far as strikers are concerned in this match.

Looking forward to this one. We just need that one point...

Of course things are a bit different this time around - I doubt we will see any of

in the Qatar vs. 'Roos game. But an important game for the Socceroos nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see what Verbeek does as far as strikers are concerned in this match.

Man, qualifying this way just feels so empty, I wish we were doing sudden death playoffs + penalties again... ;)

I'd be amazed if he doesn't start with Kennedy with a late appearance by McDonald. Pim's not about to experiment while qualification remains unsecured.

Man, qualifying this way just feels so empty, I wish we were doing sudden death playoffs + penalties again... ;)

Yeah, I really loved it when our fate was decided by two games against high class South American opposition and a few spot kicks. Those were the days ;)

But in all seriousness, I am looking forward to the day when Socceroos qualification for the World Cup is a mere formality.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't start with Kennedy with a late appearance by McDonald. Pim's not about to experiment while qualification remains unsecured.

Agreed. How can I forget those glorious days where we had to play an elimination match against freaking ARGENTINA to qualify. Maradona scores the bloody goal and they go on to make the semis (or was it the final?). Oh what joy that was. :ack:

Belarus already up 1-0 on Andorra within the first 5 minutes. I'm shocked. :P

Slovakia is only 4 up against San Marino with half time just around the corner.

More shocking is Liechtenstein taking the lead in Finland.

ETA: Make that 'only 5 up'.

ETA2: Australia just became the second team to qualify.

DPR Korea 0 - 0 Iran - not a great showing by either team, Iran rueing early chances. They're still alive but their fate is no longer in their hands.

Uzbekistan 0 - 1 Japan - Well done to the Blue Samurai! Their qualification was secured in the face of Uzbeks auditioning for their local amatuer dramatic society at the slightest contact and a Syrian ref who is enjoying his new patio courtesy of the Uzbek FA. Seriously, along with the niggling favouritism he managed to disallow a clear goal and in the dying stages sent off a Japanese player for an absolute non-incident after two full minutes of play on.

Qatar 0 - 0 Australia - A tough game, Qatar finally hitting their stride under Metsu managed to deny a slightly off-pace Socceroo lineup and looked dangerous themselves before fading in the 2nd half. Qatari keeper had the night of his life and a Tim Cahill bicycle kick hit the near post; scoreline belied a tense, exciting match. Oh and- WE'RE BACK FOR REVENGE, ITALY!

UAE 0 - 2 Korea Republic - another wierd one, insane referee sends off Korean player for nothing. It doesn't matter though, South Korea are through again. Well done chaps - eliminate Italy if we're not drawn with them, Cheers :thumbsup:

Awesome stuff from the Socceroos. I'm so proud of what they have achieved during this qualifying campaign. After a disastrous first foray into Asia during the Asian Cup, they have really stepped things up this time around. Another great day for football in this country.

Yep. USA looked really good tonight. Some nice passing movement. We need to become more clinical in front of goal though. We bottled some really good chances.

It was good to see our team come back from going a goal down, especially after that disastrous showing in Costa Rica.

Archived