Abercrombie/Lynch/Rothfuss/Abraham/Ruckley

Calibandar

Yeah I've heard some mixed reviews of Abraham too but I think I'm going to get the first book soon anyways. How would you say he compares to Bakker and Guy Gavriel Kay?
Different. Less forced drama than Kay, less focused on epicness of the scope than both, more focused on characters and seemingly small situations (the first book after all, takes place in one single city). It challenges fantasy tropes in a different way altogether than Prince of Nothing, it's subtler. Maybe there is a little less ambition in the Long Price than in the Prince of Nothing. I think it's better written than both.

Anyway, it's one of the best series out there.

Different. Less forced drama than Kay, less focused on epicness of the scope than both, more focused on characters and seemingly small situations (the first book after all, takes place in one single city). It challenges fantasy tropes in a different way altogether than Prince of Nothing, it's subtler. Maybe there is a little less ambition in the Long Price than in the Prince of Nothing. I think it's better written than both.

Very interesting. Definitely going to check out the first book. I personally consider Bakker, Martin and Kay to be the best fantasy writers out there right now. Any other recommendations for writers/series you consider above, at par or slightly below Abraham?

Less ambition, perhaps: more thought, definitely. Abraham sat down and really considered what epic fantasy is, and what it can be, before writing The Long Price. He explores the boundaries of the genre rather than trying to subvert or challenge the tropes in the manner of Abercrombie (who I rate second).

• 1 month later...

I missed this thread before. Anyway:

1. Abercrombie

2. Ruckley (could go up or down when I'm done with the series)

3. Rothfuss

4. Lynch

Haven't read Abraham yet but definitely plan to, and, from I've read about it, it seems like it could get close to the top of this list here.

I've only read Abercrombie's first book (still need to write that full review) but somewhere I commented on how it read like an AC/DC guitar riff. Three chords that are just so damn cool, but it'll be a wait-and-see before deciding if there's a strong melody there.

Rothfuss, warts and all, has quite a bit of potential to create some imaginative and funny scenes, but again, it's a wait-and-see with him to see if he'll deepen his story (as I think he's about to do).

Lynch is okay, but a bit too one-note for me, I guess, as the second book just didn't develop the characters enough in my opinion.

Well said. Abercrombie doesn't claim or aspire to do anything amazing or new, but what he does, he does right. The First Law is a good adventure story with flawed/unique/somewhat-dynamic characters and just enough plot development to keep you interested while not feeling gimmicky.

Rothfuss has some also unique ideas and themes and there is certainly alot setup for his next novel. We just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Lynch is in the same boat as Abercrombie, but I have more trouble getting through his books than Abercrombies. His characters don't really change and you always know they are going to get into some deep trouble before the day is done (and inevitably conquer insurmountable foes in the process) but its an alright fluffy read.

Then there is Abraham. I read A Shadow In Summer and immediately went out and bought the 2nd book after I was finished. The first one did a real nice job of an introduction into the world he created and the characters were all very well-written. Also the "magic" system is one of the most unique and clever one I have ever read. But A Betrayal In Winter (2nd Novel) I can't even bring myself to pick up again. I've read 50 pages and its just been so disappointing so far. I've felt hes spent too much time explaining backstory about cahracters, rather then letting tehm develop as time went on. It just made for a dull read. Hopefully I'll finish it and get to the 3rd one one of these days.

Brian Ruckley I read the first 20 pages of and took it back to the book store. Seemed very typical paperback fantasty trash to me.

1) Abercrombie

2) Abraham

3) Lynch

4) Rothfuss

5) Ruckley

Been about 14 months since I first posted in this thread, and my ranking of these 5 authors has changed in that time. They now stand thus:

1) Abraham

2) Abercrombie

3) Lynch

4) Ruckley

5) Rothfuss

1. Abercrombie (hated tBI but loved the second and third. glad i stuck with it)

2. Lynch (Loved the first, was a bit "meh" on the second)

3. Abraham (didnt get more than half way thru the first book)

4. Ruckley (didnt make it a quarter into the first book, zzzzzzzz)

5. Rothfuss (In retrospect the time i spent reading ItNotW would have been better spent poking myself in the brain with a q-tip)

1. Rothfuss

2. Abercrombie.

I've tried reading Lynch, Ruckley, and Abraham but they all fell flat for me and I didn't end up finishing any of their first books. Rothfuss and Abercrombie actually kept me turning the pages.

I am on page 195 of The Blade itself and I am loving it. its good to hear he is the kind of author that gets better with experience and not the other kind

I will have to try the others on the list but first I plan on reading everything from abercrombie

I've read all 5.

1. Abercrombie

2. Abraham

3. Lynch

4. Rothfuss

5. Ruckley

I think Abercrombie and Abraham are ahead of the pack. Abercrombie for his cynical wit and crazy characters and Abraham for his political intrigue.

Lynch and Rothfuss broth write entertaining novels and in my eyes, could be interchangable. Ruckley is a good author and I feel like I'm down on him because his books are very dark. However, I haven't read the 2nd book yet so maybe I'm not in a place to truly judge him.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Abercrombie-Read first two of his books and enjoyed them.

2. Abraham-Read A Shadow in Summer and liked it alright. Keep meaning to get back to the series.

3. Rothfuss-The Name of the Wind was ok, but it was way too long.

4. Lynch- Liked first book but the second book was horrible, IMO. Doubt I'll pick anything else up by him, at least in Lamora series.

5. Ruckley- Winterbirth put me to sleep.

Other than Abercrombie and Abraham, the other authors were mostly disappointing. They just didn't live up to the hype.

Archived