Ball, Ball, Ball, Footie, Footie, Footie

Paddy

Good lord, I just saw a picture, and it was horrible. Glad I didn't see a movie-clip of this foul.

Eduardo should sue this guy. He has no place on a pitch. I just hope we'll see Eduardo back in action again. A break this horrible might not mend completely.

Why did I go see it? urgh. so very sorry for Eduardo and his teams. It´s awful and inexcusable ( and the clip I saw had the commentators in english expressing surprise, or shock at the red card. Ok, maybe their view was not that good and they did not know the outcome, but come on!), do throw the book at that. BTW, finicking on the language but really is it correct to call such a thing tackle? The way I figured it out tackle is moving for the ball, but that was just agression, it was a kick ( or whatever similar you want to call it) not a tackle.

BTW regarding that BBC video on youtube, try do a search on dailymotion, the squid is sort of right, it´s subject to french law probably and there are a lot of things there which deleted or blocked on youtube, somebody might have put it there. There is a site in arabic as well.

Pod, problem with Trappatoni ( and we were champions during his season) was the way he left which was mercenary to the extreme. Basically sócios wanted him to stay, I believe he had a contract he wanted to cancel, but he wanted to leave. I remember sort of 2 weeks of drama in A Bola headlines, he swearing he was retiring because his wife had ordered him she wanted to go live in Italy again. D. Paola apparently still has not gotten her wish yet( or maybe she got a divorce) because like 2 weeks after all this mess he is signing for Sttugart (?) and then later, even more despicably an austrian team. Maybe it is snobbish, but come on, Benfica is one thing Red Bull Salzburg (named after a sponsor for goodness´s sake!) is quite another. So, persona non grata all around. His football is very old fashioned but effective, think of what stereotypes there is of old italian national team football or german football, there is not a lot of spontaneous attack there. But for international football, results even if ugly are what count ( sort of, I do not totally buy that, though of course never experienced any real major international title) and he is effective. Like mormont, maybe just maybe I would rather have Trapattoni than Capello specially if il Trap is cheaper - Trapattoni being a shameless mercenary has had to do with doing the best with lesser ingredients, which is just what is necessary for any national team (Any, really. except probably Brazil due to massive population). But not pretty.

Man, the guy had talent in spades and now he is going to be remembered for rarely living up to his true potential because of injuries. Though if this

He lived to his true potential for a while, and his true potential was amazing. He was perhaps, maybe, don´t know how to measure, the best I have seen ( at least while not a child. I do remember Maradona but I was a child, and my judgment sketchy). Around maybe 95, 96, I don´t remember anybody else in the world ever being quite like that. I suppose the failure comes from the realization that he possibly could really have been remembered as the best ever and will not be, but he was without a doubt, in my mind, one of the best ever.

is true, he is at least partly responsible for it himself. Even allowing for individual variations, that's overweight for a normal guy his height, leave alone a professional athlete.

eheh, I read about him being 16 and crazy for sweets and a guy which coached him thinking he was slightly mentally disabled, being obsessed with food (and not celebrating goals because they were so frequent. btw in interviews in portuguese he actually comes as quite intelligent). I remember Carlos Queirós once saying that due to those camera software they have they found out in a game he scored he hat trick that he had only run a few hundred meters more than Casillas. I was checking old footage on youtube and was shocked a bit, even at Inter he was stockier than I remembered, he was always sort of barrel chested and heavy, that was part of what made him so invulnerable in his prime to defenders. Till, injury. Perhaps even before injury his weakness was psychological, that final with France the famous seizures which were never explained. But come on, even now, his timing, his control of the ball, he is still so very very good. I am so sorry to hear of the injury, I loved (love, I guess) him so very much as a player.

Can someone explain to me how the hell Aliadiere got sent off for Middlesbrough while Mascherano got away with no punishment at all? Mascherano grabs Aliadiere round the face, Aliadiere (I hate typing that name) slaps him back, but only the Boro player is penalised? WTF? Liverpool seem to be gettin a hell of a lot of preferential refeering recently (and earlier in the season too - merseyside derby anyone?). I hope Mascherano gets a three match ban.

Eduardo's injury looks worse every time I see it. Feel so sorry for him. I hope he makes a full recovery.

( and the clip I saw had the commentators in english expressing surprise, or shock at the red card. Ok, maybe their view was not that good and they did not know the outcome, but come on!)

They didn't have a good view of it and did not know the outcome. The view from the main camera shows pretty much nothing wrong, because the contact and injury are concealed behind bodies and the card came out before any replays were shown.

It seems like a clumsy tackle, even Arsene Wenger after reviewing the whole thing and a gap from the emotion of the game released a statement later where he admitted that he spoke in the heat of the moment and upon review, retracts the harsh things he said about the tackler.

The tackle was clumsy. Whether there was intention or not is really impossible to determine because in slow motion it really does look like the tackler was beaten by Eduaro's speed (he's clearly going for the ball at first, but then Eduardo cleverly shifted the ball away with the leg that was then broken).

That doesn't excuse it or make it any less horrific. And my thoughts are with Eduardo now.

==============================

For my own team, they humiliated Newcastle in their own back yard.

Why did I go see it? urgh. so very sorry for Eduardo and his teams. It´s awful and inexcusable

5-1. Two from Ronaldo and Rooney each and a welcome scoring return for Saha.

The first goal was a sublime cross by Ronaldo for Rooney to turn in and Rooney's 2nd was a magnificent curling strike.

Newcastle fans deserve everything they are getting. They refused to give any manager a chance because they wanted Keegan back and "exciting" football.

Well, they're getting the goals, just going in the wrong direction. And I'm sure they'll find the football terribly exciting in the Championship :P

Can someone explain to me how the hell Aliadiere got sent off for Middlesbrough while Mascherano got away with no punishment at all? Mascherano grabs Aliadiere round the face, Aliadiere (I hate typing that name) slaps him back, but only the Boro player is penalised? WTF? Liverpool seem to be gettin a hell of a lot of preferential refeering recently (and earlier in the season too - merseyside derby anyone?). I hope Mascherano gets a three match ban.

I think the ref just saw the second incident but not the first. Both deserved the same punishment, whatever that was.

Did anyone catch anything of the Birmingham-Arsenal match?

I may be a Man U fan but Arsenal was robbed here, and not just a little bit. The first half free kick that McFadden scored from just outside the penalty box was not a free kick. Then at the end of the game Adebayor's shirt is pulled clearly for all to see, and the ref does not give the penalty which would have made it 1-3. The ball goes to to the other side, Clichy is fucking it up in Arsenal's defense but he does not make a foul. Yet the ref gives Birmingham a penalty and it's 2-2. :lol:

A match totally decided by referee's errors. Of course you can argue Arsenal had enough chances to settle it already but still.

Man U totally thrashed Newcastle and that was a nice sight. Ronaldo and Rooney both in good form, and Carrick's passing remains quality.

Which loudmouth Chelsea player was it that said they would win the quadruple? :lmao: They were utterly shite today, only managing one shot on target in the first 80 minutes. They fully deserved to be beaten, even if Tottenham's winner was rather lucky.

Ugh. Congrats to Spurs, that's pretty sick. We shall have to step it up in the FA Cup and Champions League, but hey, apparently nobody gave a shit about the Carling Cup last year, and I assume it'll be the same this year. Disappointing, but I'd rather lose this than a league or CL match. Also, Grant must figure out which eleven have the best chemistry, now that he has an essentially healthy side. It will be interesting.

The Eduardo injury made me feel sick. I saw it on MOTD in slow motion and I never want to see ti again. I don't think that tackle was any worse than a dozen you get every Saturday in England. It was a bad tackle but it was bad luck that it caused such a bad injury. I wouldn't expect Eduardo to ever play again.

The Eduardo injury made me feel sick. I saw it on MOTD in slow motion and I never want to see ti again. I don't think that tackle was any worse than a dozen you get every Saturday in England. It was a bad tackle but it was bad luck that it caused such a bad injury. I wouldn't expect Eduardo to ever play again.

Yeah, agreed. I saw it in slow-motion, and it was just horrifying.

Looks like another one of my predictions proved utterly false, as the title race in Spain is now very intense once again. Madrid has lot it's last two matches and Barca has recaptured some of it's form, because they won the last two matches plus the midweek match against Celtic. Gap has been narrowed to 2 points.

Word for word exactly how I feel about it. Someone whacked up Youtube before MOTD when we had heard about it and it was horrendous. I felt physically sick seeing it. And I don't think he'll ever play again either.

Damn shame.

Why don't you think he will ever play again? I'm not a doctor so I have no idea. What makes you think that he won't recover?

Arsene Wenger has retracted his statements. Good. The tackle wasn't that bad when put in context. It wasn't two footed, he was going for the ball and he kept it low. Eduardo was unlucky. You will see scores of worse tackles throughout theseason.

It was pretty damn horrifying but personally I think Alan Smith's was worse.

Juande Ramos is pretty incredible when it comes to cups although I had to bite my tongue when a reporter said that it was their first serious trophy since 1999 or whenever. The League Cup's just a joke isn't it?

Archived