Ball, Ball, Ball, Footie, Footie, Footie

Paddy

Another Scottish club name I like is Inverness Caledoian Thistle (I think its that)

It is, but that name comes from the merger of Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle. They have undoubtedly the most stunning setting for a ground in UK football, right on the Moray Firth in the shadow of the Kessock Bridge. It gives the punters something nice to look at instead of the football. :P

ps the best name is still Heart of Midlothian FC. How many other clubs are named after a book?* :smug:

*indirectly, admittedly.

The latter (as homage to Real Madrid).

Ah, I only thought of that possibility recently, so was thinking it all wrong. But really a real english world like real followed by english words like salt lake, a person thinks it is english ;)

d I cherish almost any event where grown men will dress up in bear/beaver/duck/turtle/pig/dophin/tree costumes with no shame or irony.

We got animal symbolism for some clubs usually, the big three are eagles dragons and lions and you would not believe where those crop up. Benfica, who has the eagle, has a sideline where a real eagle (eagles) are hired from a zoo/animal trainer and there are shows for really big events, and on normal days if you are on the stadium and pass through the megastore usually they are selling out the chance to take a photo with "Vitória" ( official name of the eagle. except I think there are several. Kids love it). I got quibbles about it all. Also, something coming up soon, chances are Boavista´s panther statue might be painted pink again. Strangely it happens when there are Porto derbies. This weekend, it´s second round of triple derby weekend, the "random" draw so ordered it. Police countrywide is going to have a fun weekend.

Clubs named after books, oh, ok, that I never heard of. And it is pretty.

Deportivo wanka, ok, I had to check it, totally right Kutz,http://www.zerozero.pt/equipa.php?id=2358&search=1

I guess if they called it Huanca it would not sound funny in english ;)

Arsenal, got it, makes sense - the other arsenals I think are named after the London club! And there are a bunch of clubs named Lokomotiv, or Ferroviarios ( meaning train workers). And there is a club in south america called Millonarios and another nicknamed so. Advertising to potential players?

If we're talking club names, there are a few good Scottish ones: as well as the famous Queen of the South, the junior leagues feature clubs like Linlithgow Rose, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Shotts Bon Accord, or Lochee Harp.

Isn't Bon Accord the club with the record for biggest league defeat? 36-0 or something like that?

Isn't Bon Accord the club with the record for biggest league defeat? 36-0 or something like that?

Different club (Aberdeen Bon Accord, not Shotts Bon Accord). The Aberdeen team were really a cricket side who entered the Scottish Cup for something to do in the winter, and are now defunct. Interesting note: in another match in the same round that year, the aforementioned Lochee Harp beat another Aberdeen team 35-0, but some reports claim the referee failed to record two valid goals*, which would have made that game the record.

*he allowed them. He just lost count.

Different club (Aberdeen Bon Accord, not Shotts Bon Accord). The Aberdeen team were really a cricket side who entered the Scottish Cup for something to do in the winter, and are now defunct. Interesting note: in another match in the same round that year, the aforementioned Lochee Harp beat another Aberdeen team 35-0, but some reports claim the referee failed to record two valid goals*, which would have made that game the record.

*he allowed them. He just lost count.

How is that possible? It's not like you have to keep the number in your head. A goal is scored, you open your notebook, make a mark and walk back to the centre circle. How could you forget to do this?*

*Not really. I regularly can't remember if I've counted the ball or not when I'm umpiring.

How is that possible? It's not like you have to keep the number in your head. A goal is scored, you open your notebook, make a mark and walk back to the centre circle. How could you forget to do this?*

*Not really. I regularly can't remember if I've counted the ball or not when I'm umpiring.

Well, the story somewhat obscured by the mists of time (this was 1885). Apparently the ref's record showed 37 and the club secretary's 35, and the ref was persuaded that it was his count that was wrong.

I was about to mention the full name of Hearts, but it has already been done.

I'd just like to add that the 'second' team of the huge town I grew up in (we're talking about two, maybe three thousand people living there back then) was called SFK Ajaks. Although they had white and red colours, I don't think the name was inspired by the Dutch team. (The club was founded in 1969, before anyone outside of the Netherlands knew about the Amsterdam club.)

Well, the story somewhat obscured by the mists of time (this was 1885). Apparently the ref's record showed 37 and the club secretary's 35, and the ref was persuaded that it was his count that was wrong.

To be completely honest and not doing anything for my image, counting is boring!If writing things down, ok, though my handwriting also *coughcough*

And nice result, but still the one result to beat is that Madagascar team who decided to protest against some previous refereeing by on a game scoring one goals. Now it might not be true, even if the story seems well spread just because I am not totally sure you can really score 149 even if own goals in 90 minutes. Ok, I suppose no celebrating cuts down the time to put the ball back in motion. But still 149, poor referee, did he have to keep track of all goalscorers?

I understand a lot of professional umpires keep six items (coins, peanuts, whatever) in their pocket, and then move one from the left to the right for each ball bowled, in order to keep track.

I understand a lot of professional umpires keep six items (coins, peanuts, whatever) in their pocket, and then move one from the left to the right for each ball bowled, in order to keep track.

The problem comes when you can't remember whether you have moved an item for the ball or not.

I have only one prediction for this week: Birmingham will beat Spurs.

This is only right and proper in the natural scheme of things.

There's an interesting juxtaposition here between the content of the post, and the poster's title and avatar. :P

Just a few more minutes of play and some excellent results at this point.

Fulham-Manchester United 0-3

West Ham-Chelsea 0-4

Arsenal-Aston Villa 0-1

A home defeat for Arsenal is just what is needed to see them spiral even further down the well. Manchester for the Treble!

I have only one prediction for this week: Birmingham will beat Spurs.

This is only right and proper in the natural scheme of things.

Good call. I know how tough that must have been to own up to your teams glaring inadequacies.

Archived