Joe Abercrombie the Blade Itself II

niamh

I think the giggling sticks out because it's McCrazy Nutty Deformy Torture guy Glotka doing the giggling. It stands out to the reader because it's a bit incongruous. Although I think it works for his character.

Nowhere near as annoying as the constant talking about FLOWERING in GRRM :)

Mr Joe Abercrombie should come to the US (AUSTIN, specifically!) for a book signing when the next one comes out the in the States!

Secondly, your bets people just how will Logen kill the Feared ?

As someone who's read the book, I can exclusively reveal that:

SPOILER: Last Argument of Kings
He used a bazooka. I must admit, it kind of came out of nowhere. I'm guessing Joe was having an off day :(

As someone who's read the book, I can exclusively reveal that:

He used a bazooka. I must admit, it kind of came out of nowhere. I'm guessing Joe was having an off day :(

HUSH! Don't spoil things for us!

but AHA!

So Logen does kill the Feared? ;)

Started reading Before They Are Hanged three days ago, thinking "oh well, I know I have a lot of school projects to deliver, but it wouldn't hurt if I just read a few chapters"... And of course I spent all my free time reading it from then, even when the lights went out because of a storm and I had to read with an electric torch for three hours! Now I'm far beyond with all my projects and Abercrombie, this is all your fault! :P

The Blade Itself was wonderful, Before They Are Hanged was even better and I can't even think about Last Argument of Kings without drooling. Is it march soon?

Second book is wonderful. The third is far better.

Abercrombie is coming into his own.

What are the chances of a blog review, William? I'd love to hear your in-depth thoughts on the book.

Ahh! Finally! I can click on The Blade Itself thread and .... blammo! ..... new thread!

I finished up the book while lounging around in southwestern Florida last week. Nothing like gentle Gulf waves and 70 degree sunny mornings as background to go with the coffee and reading. :)

As much as I'd like to hand Joe that coveted 10-out-of-10 rating, I'm afraid he might just implode with hubris and we'd never get any new works from him. And as much as I'd like to review the book like all of the folks who write review upon review, I am just not that talented and probably missed 50% of the things I should have caught on to. I was too busy picturing Ardee in my minds eye, though.

Here's my review: It's like Miles in Sideways tasting a wine and opining on about its nuances, only to have Jack say, "Tastes pretty good to me." I'm just going to have to say that The Blade Itself tasted pretty good to me. But it was only a tasting. I want the whole bottle. :drunk:

Bring on the next books! At least the wait for the next one is only a few more weeks here in the States. And maybe I'll win Last Argument on Pat's site. Or maybe Joe can just hook me up with that whole bottle of The First Law directly. Joe?

Thirsty for more,

The Wedge

I think I found what Joe's next book after Kings will be. While I was looking at books on Amazon.uk and one of the books the suggested "Best Served Cold" by Joe Abercrombie, due out April 2009. Here's the description from Amazon.uk: Best Served Cold

Synopsis

Mercenaries are a wonderful thing: they fight as you tell them, whom you tell them, and when you tell them, for nothing more precious or complicated than money. And Monzcarro Mercatto, and her brother (and lover) Benna Mercatto, are the two most successful, most popular, and most wealthy mercenaries in Styria...but wealthy, popular mercenaries are not such a good thing. In fact they're a downright dangerous thing. Which is why Grand Duke Orso of Styria arranges to have them dealt with. Permanently. With hindsight, he may come to consider this a tactical error. Through sheer good luck - which her brother doesn't share - Monzcarro survives the long and fatal drop Orso arranged for her, and staggers away from her encounter with a ruined right hand, an opium addiction ...and a plan to come back with a fortune, plently of bladed weapons, and a single-minded determination to kill the seven men in the room when her brother was murdered. Preferably in as gruesome a manner as she can ...

I think I found what Joe's next book after Kings will be. While I was looking at books on Amazon.uk and one of the books the suggested "Best Served Cold" by Joe Abercrombie, due out April 2009. Here's the description from Amazon.uk: Best Served Cold

Yep, we've known about that for a while, but that's the first time I've seen the blurb. Cheers for that!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I have three copies of the US edition of Abercrombie's Before They Are Hanged up for grabs, compliments of Pyr.

Check the blog for all the details! :)

Patrick

Best first post ever?

I would be really pumped about this one if I'd already read LAoK, but I haven't so I've got other things on my mind.

ETA: I just saw the date joined, and wow you've been waiting for something good haven't you?

Archived