Joe Abercrombie the Blade Itself II

niamh

No, Christian Bale is from Wales. If Wales was fictional, we wouldn't have The Prestige.

You are obviously lying to protect the fact that you don't exist.

Actually, Christian Bale is a fictional actor (coming from a non-existent country is the give-away) played by an obsessive former stage magician called Alfred Borden.

• 7 months later...

Wow. I think it took me almost as long to read these two threads as it took to read Blade Itself. :)

I basically bought Blade Itself for two reasons: the reviews for the end of the trilogy were very positive and Joe is such a character. (Yes, Joe. Your time spent here is winning you more readers. ;) )

I enjoyed the book, but the ending fell flat for me.

Even though it was great to see the Bloody Nine in all of his ... um... bloody glory, that whole sequence felt tacked on to give the book a "climax" before the heroes set off to do what they'll be doing in book two (and probably three). Well written, yes. A climax for the entire book? Not really...

Was I the only one who came away with this feeling?

This is my only real critique, though. The characters and writing were very compelling and I'll be picking up books two and three when I go back to the States later this year.

Also, am I the only one who pictured Grace Jones from the second Conan movie as Ferro? :lol:

I basically bought Blade Itself for two reasons: the reviews for the end of the trilogy were very positive and Joe is such a character. (Yes, Joe. Your time spent here is winning you more readers. ;) )

I enjoyed the book, but the ending fell flat for me.

I don't think the ending of The Blade Itself is particularly great and I've never heard anyone say that. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just nothing that special.

However, there has been a lot of (justified) praise for the ending of the trilogy. Maybe you misunderstood that?

Was I the only one who came away with this feeling?

I didn't. I'm about halfway through Last Argument and this trilogy is my 2nd favorite post 70s series after Bakker's. Excellent characterization, the story moves at a quick pace and the fight scenes are unparalleled. The only issues I have with the novel are:

- the name "Angland": we already have an angle-land, i don't get why he didn't come up with an original name for that land. every time i see it it bugs me.

- the shanka: i could have used more descriptions of the shanka, more backstory, just more info in general. i have a hard time picturing them and don't really grasp what exactly they are other than a goblin/troll/orc-esque evil hominid race.

- villains: i understand that contempo fantasy authors are more often than not prone to setting their stories in a shades-of-gray world rather than the black-and-white of tolkien, but apart from The Feared i don't think there was enough evil in the story. like, i think it could have used more frightening, dark villains, more extraordinary evil.

That being said, these criticisms are just matters of taste really, and I loved the novels and am loving Last Argument. My favorite episode in the series was their (SPOILERS!!!) futile quest for The Seed. i found it entirely compelling, the dead empire they trod through gave me that sense of wonder you often get from Howard's depictions of extinct empires, and having a quest that fails, where after much hardship and fighting the 'heroes' get to their destination and the object of the quest isn't there - genius.

However, there has been a lot of (justified) praise for the ending of the trilogy. Maybe you misunderstood that?

That's the only reason I'll continue to read: the promise of a good ending to the whole trilogy.

I guess I was surprised by this lack luster ending because of the praise the book got before book 2 was even released. If it wasn't for the praise here for how the whole trilogy ends, I think this book would join Briar King and Darkness That Comes Before in being series I've begun but never bothered to continue.

Take GoT for example: in a sense the end was just a set up for book 2, but there was more of a climaxtic ending. Birth of the dragons. Rob being proclaimed king of the north. Things from the book culminated to these events.

The end of Blade was

SPOILER: end
more of a Big Brawl Scene and then they all boarded the ship. The team had already gathered. The brawl didn't do anything for the story other than show us Bloody Nine (which I liked). The action was good, but no real emotional impact

Again, I thought writing good and the characters engaging. The end just piddled out instead of leaving me searching for my keys to go buy the next book. Maybe

SPOILER: alternate ending
if the end was focused getting everyone out of the city, like they were trying to sneak out and everyone got attacked, fought and barely escaped, that would've been better. Having half the party just waiting around until Logen and Ferro showed up bloody and then the magus reducing the attackers to cinder had no tension.

I'm not claiming the book was bad. I enjoyed it. It could've had a more satisfying ending.

I didn't. I'm about halfway through Last Argument ...

- villains: i understand that contempo fantasy authors are more often than not prone to setting their stories in a shades-of-gray world rather than the black-and-white of tolkien, but apart from The Feared i don't think there was enough evil in the story. like, i think it could have used more frightening, dark villains, more extraordinary evil.

Wait for the end.

Really.

-Poobs

That's the only reason I'll continue to read: the promise of a good ending to the whole trilogy.

I guess I was surprised by this lack luster ending because of the praise the book got before book 2 was even released. If it wasn't for the praise here for how the whole trilogy ends, I think this book would join Briar King and Darkness That Comes Before in being series I've begun but never bothered to continue.

Take GoT for example: in a sense the end was just a set up for book 2, but there was more of a climaxtic ending. Birth of the dragons. Rob being proclaimed king of the north. Things from the book culminated to these events.

The end of Blade was

SPOILER: end
more of a Big Brawl Scene and then they all boarded the ship. The team had already gathered. The brawl didn't do anything for the story other than show us Bloody Nine (which I liked). The action was good, but no real emotional impact

Again, I thought writing good and the characters engaging. The end just piddled out instead of leaving me searching for my keys to go buy the next book. Maybe

SPOILER: alternate ending
if the end was focused getting everyone out of the city, like they were trying to sneak out and everyone got attacked, fought and barely escaped, that would've been better. Having half the party just waiting around until Logen and Ferro showed up bloody and then the magus reducing the attackers to cinder had no tension.

I'm not claiming the book was bad. I enjoyed it. It could've had a more satisfying ending.

I was in exactly the same boat (ahem), found the second book an improvement and the third book excellent. IMO it is worth keeping going.

One thing i liked was the simple endings for each book. It was all about the end result of the series, not so much of individual books. It was a good twist.

But then, i could sit around and watch Glokta eat porridge and smoke fatties and be fairly entertained. Just keep Ferro out of it, i doubt i will ever come to like her, though my stance has softened somewhat on the second read through.

apart from The Feared i don't think there was enough evil in the story. like, i think it could have used more frightening, dark villains, more extraordinary evil.

He-he :). On the contrary, the trilogy contains some rather excellent villains, IMHO.

He-he :) . On the contrary, the trilogy contains some rather excellent villains, IMHO.

SPOILER: LAOK
Considering that you spend 2.5 books thinking that the main villain is actually a good guy, I think its pretty stellar.

• 5 months later...

At first I thought this book was fairly average and was really annoyed by the constant "er"s in the dialogue, but as I got into it I really enjoyed it. It was an engrossing interesting read. With all of the geography in the book I would have liked a map though. I had some issues with some of the characters (a few times some of their personalities seem a little inconsistent), but overall I thought it was a great read and am looking forward to the next one.

At first I thought this book was fairly average and was really annoyed by the constant "er"s in the dialogue, but as I got into it I really enjoyed it. It was an engrossing interesting read. With all of the geography in the book I would have liked a map though. I had some issues with some of the characters (a few times some of their personalities seem a little inconsistent), but overall I thought it was a great read and am looking forward to the next one.

That's a pretty common theme amongst people who have read the book. I let someone borrow it once and told her "I know this is slow reading... just power through it, the next two are worth it."

Before They Are Hanged takes that improvement you noticed in TBI and builds on it. Then you hit Last Argument of Kings and it takes everything you've thought about fantasy and turns it on its head. Well worth the time investment.

Enjoy! :read:

Archived