Joe Abercrombie the Blade Itself II

niamh

I am halfway through "The Blade Itself" and am rocking my socks off. Based on the report here that Amazon US had copies of "Before They Are Hanged" I tried it. Sure enough, ten bucks and shipping out next week (plus Charlie Wilson's War and a collection of cello concertos to give me free shipping). Go me!

Thanks for the heads up on the US Amazon shipping of BTAH. I just put in my order. Now to figure out what else to buy to get me to $25 for free shipping.... Hmmm....

ETA: Found a hardback copy of Mistborn: The Final Empire for $5.99 in Amazon's bargain section. Sweet! Tack on some Knuffle Bunny Too for the wee ones at the house and free shipping is in the bag.

Has anyone gotten BTAH from Amazon (US), per the posts saying it was shipping early?

I ordered it and it said (still says) in stock, and my account nitially got this:

Shipping estimate: February 20, 2008

and today it has:

Shipping estimate: February 26, 2008

:huh:

Has anyone gotten BTAH from Amazon (US), per the posts saying it was shipping early?

I ordered it and it said (still says) in stock, and my account nitially got this:

and today it has:

Yes. It said I would get my copy on the 20th, and I got it on the 16th, I think. Maybe the 17th. So they were in stock and shipping. I don't know what's up with yours.

and today it has:

I too ordered it from Amazon soon after hearing it was in stock, but they sent me an email a couple of days ago saying that my order had been delayed and the expected date of arrival was now early March (can't remember what they said for shipping estimate; I think it was February 26 or 28). Last I checked, it still said it was in stock so I found that annoying, but maybe they just never got around to updating that on the website.

I finally got around to posting the review of The Blade Itself. While the tone might sound harsher than my actual take, it is reflective of problems I saw with the set-up, since I know how the trilogy ends. I'll write a review for Before They Are Hanged in the coming days before I submit my review of the final volume.

It seems that Joe has reservations about my "reviewing capabilities". In response, I felt compelled to reveal this about my future reviewing plans dealing with his work. I hope people will understand and appreciate the plans that some of us poor reviewers go through in dealing with recalcitrant authors...

You can order it from the UK starting around the 20th of this month. Nobody's getting my ARC though - I rarely give those away in the best of times and this isn't the best of times :P

Any websites to export Last Argument of Kings (live in San Jose, CA).

I really enjoyed Before they are Hanged, finishing it in 2 days.

I'm using amazon.co.uk

I'm sure you'll get recs for The Book Depository (free international shipping), but I've had trouble with them when ordering new books (poor shipping times, a lost book, and their ridiculous lack of pre-ordering).

So, for LAoK - which I want to get ASAP - I'm spending a few bucks more to get it right from amazon.

Regular US amazon has Last Argument of Kings set to arrive the 20th as well, and I'm hoping they're right. Either the mail system used by amazon.co.uk sucks, or international mail can't find St. Mary's county. Either way one book has already disappeared, and there's no sign of the replacement. It's like theres a black hole for Abercrombie books in the mail system.

Okay, just began reading this.

This probably has been noted, but:

'I will confess!' shrieked Teufel, 'I will confess!'

'Excellent', said Glotka brightly.

'Excellent', said Severat.

'Ertherer,' said Practical Frost.

reminds me alot of:

"His elk?" said Bran, wonderstruck.

"His elk?" said Meera, startled.

"His ravens?" said Jojen.

"Hodor?" said Hodor.

Who again was much inspired by GRRM's work? ;)

Besides, I cannot decide yet whether I like the book. The characters are interesting (as noted everywhere) but up to this point the world reminds me of a mix of "The picture of Dorian Gray" and "Gothic II".

Well when I search for joe abercrombie on amazon.com, this is what comes up:

Last Argument Of Kings (Gollancz) by Joe Abercrombie (Paperback - Mar 20, 2008)

Damn you Amazon, why do you crush my dreams this way.

Anyways, how long does it usually take to export from the UK to the US if I buy it through them then?

Well when I search for joe abercrombie on amazon.com, this is what comes up:

Last Argument Of Kings (Gollancz) by Joe Abercrombie (Paperback - Mar 20, 2008)

Damn you Amazon, why do you crush my dreams this way.

Anyways, how long does it usually take to export from the UK to the US if I buy it through them then?

Usually 7-10 business days. I'm hoping they ship a couple of days in advance of the "release" date like amazon.com does, but I don't know because this is my first preorder with them (I have had several regular orders with them and the Book Depository though, so I am sure about the 7-10 days to Denver it will vary based on your location).

Anybody know if amazon.co.uk ships a bit before the release date?

Archived