MLB Thread

Caliban

[quote name='Jaime Goldenhand' post='1314834' date='Apr 15 2008, 09.24']coming soon to cable and satelite providers near you: Yankee TV and Redsox nation channel. You will eat, sleep and pee with the boys 24/7. brought to you by ESPN networks...[/quote]

We already have the Yes network.

*lol* is that what it is like?? good grief. You know...I had a friend who spent a month in Japan and he told me they have channels that focus on the Japanese players in MLB. What he said is they would have a camera on Ichiro the whole game. Just focusing on him..not even showing the rest of the game. He swears it is the truth.

[quote name='Jaime Goldenhand' post='1314860' date='Apr 15 2008, 09.34']*lol* is that what it is like?? good grief. You know...I had a friend who spent a month in Japan and he told me they have channels that focus on the Japanese players in MLB. What he said is they would have a camera on Ichiro the whole game. Just focusing on him..not even showing the rest of the game. He swears it is the truth.[/quote]

Yea, the YES network is owned by the Yankees and is pretty much propaganda TV. It's sad.

[quote name='L’éclaircissementHK' post='1314490' date='Apr 15 2008, 01.12']Century of futility? Decrepit, rundown stadium? A mascot named 'Wooo wooo!'? Tourists and trendy yuppies making up half the fanbase? The half decade worth of the 'Prior/Wood' watch? One of the top 5 most notorious roid users in the game as your most prominent alumni? Nutjob, headcase 'Ace'? An announcer that makes our play-by-play guy look like Howard Cossell? And you're saying it should be embarrassing to be a Sox fan? Are you kidding me?[/quote]
:lol: Some fair points and some not so fair.

I like how you try to make Wrigley into a negative. I've been to the Cell a couple of times and liked it fine, but it really can't compare to spending an afternoon at Wrigley. I've loved it since I was a kid and will be sad if they ever tear it down.

I actually like the story behind Ronny Woo Woo. He's just a guy who loved the Cubs so much and was out in the bleachers so often that he became a fixture at the park. Hard to ask for a better mascot, really.

And yeah, the Prior/Wood ordeal was painful, but the Cubs made it out of that with a more than decent pitching staff intact. Plus who knows, Wood could still turn into a pretty good closer. Also, thank you for bringing Ernie Banks' reprehensible steroid habit to my attention. I will never be able to look at him the same way.

I love that the "nutjob, headcase 'Ace'" comment comes from a guy with a nutjob, headcase Manager...who led them to a World Series. Nutjobs aren't necessarily a bad thing, and Carlos is one of the best pitchers in the league.

I quite like Len Kasper as a play-by-play guy. Pleasant voice, gets excited when excitement's warranted, keeps the personal anecdotes to a minimum and is even occasionally witty. Brenley's not a bad color guy, either. I generally enjoy his insight...it's easy to see how this guy could lead a ballclub to a WS championship.

But honestly, just about anything's preferable to the unmitigated snoozefest you guys have going on on the Southside. Just terrible.

All in all, I have to say your inferiority complex is doing [i]quite[/i] well this morning, sirrah. Carry on. :P

[quote name='Jaime Goldenhand' post='1314860' date='Apr 15 2008, 10.34']*lol* is that what it is like?? good grief. You know...I had a friend who spent a month in Japan and he told me they have channels that focus on the Japanese players in MLB. What he said is they would have a camera on Ichiro the whole game. Just focusing on him..not even showing the rest of the game. He swears it is the truth.[/quote]
The footage for NESN games in Japan came from the Japanese television feeds and at times, even when the game was going on, the camera was just fixed on Matsuzaka. I have no doubt they did the same with Ichiro.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1314876' date='Apr 15 2008, 10.44']The Red Sox have [url="http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/"]NESN[/url]

Its not quite as bad as the YES network, but pretty darn close.[/quote]
I was about to say it isn't bad at all..then I remembered some of the things said recently..like that Sean Casey could be starting on 15 clubs.. Off the top of my head I can only think of one team where he would be about equal and that is the Royals' Ross Gload. Hell, I'd rather play Scott Hatteberg over him and that is saying something.

Rob Neyer linked to [url="http://www.letsgotribe.com/2008/4/9/391105/return-of-the-cleveland-bl"]this article[/url] regarding a solution to the "Chief Wahoo Conundrum" of the Indians. Honestly, I don't like Chief Wahoo at all and I've gone back and forth on whether I think it should be changed or not. Now I think that it should be after considering, well if they were the Cleveland Coloreds (or Negroes perhaps) and had a very stereotypical and offensive face on their uniforms it would have been changed, rightfully, long ago. I like the idea of the Blues, although feels a bit like a ripoff considering there is a St Louis Blues in that other professional league that I think still exists :P. Maybe the Barons? There was a Cleveland NHL team by that name. I like the history of the Spiders (worst team ever) but the name is really just kind of nasty. Nobody would want to buy a jersey with a spider on it I wouldnt' think. Looking it up now there is actually history to the Blues, so I do like that. Regardless, they should figure out a new logo than Chief Wahoo and definitely consider changing the name.

I want this [url="http://www.shelflifeclothing.com/shirtpages/caucasians.html"]shirt[/url].

I'm for changing names of tearms up to a certain point. It is hard to please everyone. Offending a race or nation of people is a good reason to change a name. The team is probably holding off more for $$$$ reasons more than any sense of history. If it was worth it then they would have made the change a long time ago.

Funny t-shirt.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1315377' date='Apr 15 2008, 14.19']Funny t-shirt.[/quote]
I like the Che Guevara t-shirt on the left that says "I have no idea who this guy is" underneath his picture. Good stuff.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1315014' date='Apr 15 2008, 09.09']Maybe the [url="http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/2/497/full/2144.gif"]Barons[/url]? There [s]was[/s] is a Cleveland [s]NHL[/s] AHL team by that name.[/quote]
Fixed.

Go Sharks!

[quote]I like how you try to make Wrigley into a negative. I've been to the Cell a couple of times and liked it fine, but it really can't compare to spending an afternoon at Wrigley. I've loved it since I was a kid and will be sad if they ever tear it down.[/quote]

An afternoon in Wrigley is fine. Great place to catch a game. Unless you actually want to buy a hotdog. Or take a piss. Or move anywhere from your seat for the entirety of the game. Than it feels like walking through a crowded medieval dungeon full of clumsy, smelly, obnoxious drunks.

Not sure if you're trying to be ironic, but I think you know who I'm talking about on the announcer thing. Handing a microphone to Ron Santo ranks up there with Eating the fruit and land wars in Asia as some of the bigger mistakes of mankind.

Our headcase manager throws a tantrum he gets thrown out, fires up the team, and we go on to win. Your Ace pitcher throws a tantrum and gets thrown out you fuck your bullpen and the rest of your team. Even if he doesn't get thrown out, his anger and frustration leads to a lack of control, thereby fucking the team. If you're gonna have a nutjob, you don't want him at the most important position on the field. This ain't football where a coach actually serves an essential purpose. It doesn't take all that much to be an AL manager on gameday.

And I bet I could go to a Cubs game and say...1 out of 3 fans under 30 probably wouldn't know who Ernie Banks is.

Two games in a row with 9th a inning HR to win the game, pretty cool stuff, Indians most definitely won't be able to put the ALCS behind them now.

Speaking of ballparks, you which one sucks? Answer: The Skydome. It just has this incredibly phony vibe, and I don't even know what that means. But I've been there to see Sox games, and it just doesn't feel like i'm at a baseball game, it feels more like some sort of corporate event.

The Metrodome sucked pretty hard too. They have this ridiculous, ginormous, black trashbag thing hanging down to block out the extra football seating and all of the seats are facing the 50 yardline instead of the diamond.

[quote name='L’éclaircissementHK' post='1315699' date='Apr 15 2008, 18.20']An afternoon in Wrigley is fine. Great place to catch a game. Unless you actually want to buy a hotdog. Or take a piss. Or move anywhere from your seat for the entirety of the game. Than it feels like walking through a crowded medieval dungeon full of clumsy, smelly, obnoxious drunks.

Not sure if you're trying to be ironic, but I think you know who I'm talking about on the announcer thing. Handing a microphone to Ron Santo ranks up there with Eating the fruit and land wars in Asia as some of the bigger mistakes of mankind.

Our headcase manager throws a tantrum he gets thrown out, fires up the team, and we go on to win. Your Ace pitcher throws a tantrum and gets thrown out you fuck your bullpen and the rest of your team. Even if he doesn't get thrown out, his anger and frustration leads to a lack of control, thereby fucking the team. If you're gonna have a nutjob, you don't want him at the most important position on the field. This ain't football where a coach actually serves an essential purpose. It doesn't take all that much to be an AL manager on gameday.

And I bet I could go to a Cubs game and say...1 out of 3 fans under 30 probably wouldn't know who Ernie Banks is.[/quote]

Oh, EHK, you so funny in your bitterness of still being second class despite a really well won world series. So funny. :P

[quote name='FezRock' post='1315934' date='Apr 15 2008, 19.39']Two games in a row with 9th a inning HR to win the game, pretty cool stuff, Indians most definitely won't be able to put the ALCS behind them now.

Speaking of ballparks, you which one sucks? Answer: The Skydome. It just has this incredibly phony vibe, and I don't even know what that means. But I've been there to see Sox games, and it just doesn't feel like i'm at a baseball game, it feels more like some sort of corporate event.[/quote]

Was the roof open or shut? It's kinda weird in there with the roof shut, but when it's open, on a nice day... it's a really great park.

[quote]The Metrodome sucked pretty hard too. They have this ridiculous, ginormous, black trashbag thing hanging down to block out the extra football seating and [b]all of the seats are facing the 50 yardline instead of the diamond.[/b][/quote]

Got to concur on this. Worst stadium I've ever visited. That is actually one of the best features of Comiskey. If you're there to see the game, there really are no bad seats. No obstructed views. No terrible sight-lines. And the seats are more than large enough and comfortable enough for your plus-sized Chicagoan. (not that I'm quite in that category yet) It was designed with viewing the game in mind. And the renovations have gone a long way to making it feel less generic. Still got some complaints though. Like buying a gigantic new scoreboard that has a screen....the same size as the old scoreboard with the rest of the space taken up by gigantic Pepsi/Miller banners. (or whatever)

We've also got the best piano lady in baseball. The best field maintenance crew in baseball. Best drainage guy. (don't think that's a big deal? Go to a Cubs game after a drizzle. Although I think sometime last year they brought in our guy to redo their field as well) Some of the better food. Tailgating. (yeah, I'd rather have bars and nightlife too. But there is something to be said for the open air, cool breeze, the grill, and not paying $7 per beer on game day.)

Its also possible to drive to and park at the game. Something I wouldn't recommend up north.

[quote]Was the roof open or shut? It's kinda weird in there with the roof shut, but when it's open, on a nice day... it's a really great park.[/quote]

I was there maybe a half dozen times last season, and it wasn't open once, nor was it the one time 2 years ago I went. To be honest I wasn't even sure it could open; I will concede it may be a bit better there when it is open, I don't know. But regardless, everything just seems so manufactured... and clean, its far too clean for a baseball park; though it is Canada, so nothing odd about that. Every time I've been there though I've felt like I was in some giant institution, just a weird sorta feeling. And probably a lot of that is the roof, baseball needs to played under the sun, or the stars as case may be.

Also I wish that all the gimmicky tourist stores and stuff was outside the park instead being right behind the seats. But I guess they can't do that, because the only thing around the park is freeway.

Archived