Footyball!

DJDonegal

[quote name='Simone' post='1428513' date='Jul 5 2008, 19.11']Ok. I'm sceptic on Dossena. He has about 27 years and he has played only one match in Italy National team. Is quite good as an assist-man but for me is a normal player. I think he'll spend much time on the bench.[/quote]

That's what I feared.

Sad to see Crouch go, felt he never got enough time on the pitch considering how much he scored when he was on. I still think Kuyt is a problem. He works harder than anyone, so you can't really dislike him, but there are many better wingers out there, and apart from the odd (albeit huge) goal every blue moon, he seems vaccinated against scoring.

Fucking Hicks and Gillett. We need money for one or two big signings if we want to be able to compete next season. Gareth Barry may not be a huge improvement over Xabi Alonso (if at all), so he doesn't count. If they are at all serious about Liverpool being successful on the pitch, they need to put their money where their mouths are. Otherwise, the last shred of doubt is removed that they're only using the club as a offloader for personal debt.

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1433085' date='Jul 9 2008, 10.20']I still think Kuyt is a problem. He works harder than anyone, so you can't really dislike him, but there are many better wingers out there, and apart from the odd (albeit huge) goal every blue moon, he seems vaccinated against scoring.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. Heart of gold but feet of lead. The optimist inside of me, that re-emerges around this time each year, would like to hope that his confidence will return as he gets over the death of his father, but frankly he doesn't have the technical ability or speed to be a top quality attacking player.

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1433085' date='Jul 9 2008, 10.20']Fucking Hicks and Gillett. We need money for one or two big signings if we want to be able to compete next season. Gareth Barry may not be a huge improvement over Xabi Alonso (if at all), so he doesn't count. If they are at all serious about Liverpool being successful on the pitch, they need to put their money where their mouths are. Otherwise, the last shred of doubt is removed that they're only using the club as a offloader for personal debt.[/quote]

Agree again. We just learned why leveraged buyouts rely on easy, cheap debt financing. Nice of G&H to educate millions of Scousers about financial engineering. Liverpool Uni should offer a part time course on the subject.

Poor timing though by G&H. Would it have killed them to pay the term premium to issue a longer debt rather than relying on rolling-over short loans? And clearly they were/are both under-capitalized. The bit off more than they seem capable of chewing and LFC may pay the price. As if we weren't falling behind already.

There are persistent whispers that DIC are still negotiating in the background. Might just be wishful thinking though.

And a controversial question for the LFC fans (and others):
Doesn't Carragher pose the same problem as Kuyt?

I love the guy, and he would run through a brick wall for the team, but that isn't what we need. His (and Hyppia's) lack of pace forces us to sit deeper and play two defensive midfielders to shield him, and his hoofing of the ball when in posession is disgraceful. On the other hand, he has a decent cross if his pace can ever get him into position to deliver one.

I'm hoping for Agger and Skrtel to emerge as our new CB pairing, with Carragher as a back-up at CB and RB and eventually moving to a coaching role in a couple of years.

I'm not writing him off completely - he can be an absolute wall for us in the box - I just think that a title-winning team needs fast, ball-playing CBs.

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1433335' date='Jul 9 2008, 17.50']Absolutely agree. Heart of gold but feet of lead. The optimist inside of me, that re-emerges around this time each year, would like to hope that his confidence will return as he gets over the death of his father, but frankly he doesn't have the technical ability or speed to be a top quality attacking player.[/quote]

No, but coaches like him (not just Rafa: van Basten clearly does too). You can use him, as van Basten did, to tire the opposing full-back out for an hour then deploy a skilful attacker when the full-back's too knackered to stop him.

Fitness and industry are prized assets these days: if not actually more so than skill, at least as much. State of the game, etc.

This deserves a post of its own:

From time to time you may see me post about the latest happenings at Hearts. Normally, this is not so much to update you as to explain the anguished howls you may hear from north of the border. (Yes, even as far away as Germany. :P)

Things have been pretty bad recently. No manager for [b]seven months[/b] and counting. Obscure coaches from the Bulgarian and Chinese leagues interviewed for the job. The caretaker manager sent home from training and then let go, possibly because of the owner publicly (and incorrectly) blaming him for his predecessor's failings. The owner, in the same interview, ruling out a Scottish coach because 'they're all part of the Scottish mafia who hate me'.

I could take all that: it's just the circus as usual. But there is a limit. And this is it.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/7498039.stm"]Ian Holloway linked with Hearts job.[/url]

[center][size=6][b]DEAR[/b][/size]
[size=6][b]GOD,[/b][/size]
[size=6][b]NO!!!!!

[/b][/size][left]I can only imagine Romanov's idea is to hire someone even more ridiculous than himself.

:cry:
[/center][/left]

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1433352' date='Jul 9 2008, 19.00']And a controversial question for the LFC fans (and others):
Doesn't Carragher pose the same problem as Kuyt?

I love the guy, and he would run through a brick wall for the team, but that isn't what we need. His (and Hyppia's) lack of pace forces us to sit deeper and play two defensive midfielders to shield him, and his hoofing of the ball when in posession is disgraceful. On the other hand, he has a decent cross if his pace can ever get him into position to deliver one.

I'm hoping for Agger and Skrtel to emerge as our new CB pairing, with Carragher as a back-up at CB and RB and eventually moving to a coaching role in a couple of years.

I'm not writing him off completely - he can be an absolute wall for us in the box - I just think that a title-winning team needs fast, ball-playing CBs.[/quote]

I don't know, I think you can live with one slow(ish) CB. I think losing Agger hurt us a lot more than most realize last season. He's fucking excellent. And Carragher is amazing at last ditch efforts. Just think of how many times his long-ass toe has deflected a shot or deadly cross. Plus he keeps the locals happy, and fulfill UEFA's homegrown criteria.

[url="http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10072008/58/premier-league-blatter-ronaldo-slave.html"]Blatter clueless as ever[/url]

That [i]wonderful[/i] football expert Blatter has decided to weigh into the Ronaldo situation!

[quote name='mormont']It's not so much 'bias' as 'blatant and shameless leaping aboard any passing bandwagon'.[/quote]

Yeah, the victim complex ("oh noes, everybody hates us because we are [s]beautiful[/s] succesful!") English fans seem to have developed is a bit silly. For good ole Sepp it's not about anybody but Blatter.

In other "news", I just read that David Beckham made the MLS All Star Team, earning him a starting place in an exciting game against...West Ham United. WTF?

I guess a lot of you have seen this already, but I had to put up this youtube clip of [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=oeSxVujpRRU"]veteran Belarusian FIFA referee Sergey Shmolik[/url] in what is likely his last day on the job.

What's amazing is that this clip is supposed to be from the end of the match. Why didn't anyone intervene before then?

Well considering how blind refs can be at times I don't believe them being drunk can affect them that much!

Edit: Arsenal complete the signing of [url="http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11072008/58/premier-league-arsenal-complete-nasri-signing.html"]Nasri[/url]

I found this line particulary funny

[quote]Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is thrilled with the acquisition, which reinforces his reputation for luring the best young talent in Europe to North London.[/quote]

Now I've got images of Wenger living in a gingerbread hut luring young talents to him with sweets.

Archived