NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

This green bay debacle is getting so very old. Really if he comes back fine, stays retired, hey, cool with me. Hell, I hope he does go to Minnesota or Chicago so the good people of Green Bay can see this guy for who he really is. In a weird way I do actually feel for the people of Green Bay because I don't see this ending very nicely and I have to give GB props - it is a great football town. But the reality is he doesn't care about Green Bay - he doesn't, he is covering his ass talking like some defeated politician. He only cares about Brett Favre and as ego driven as this guy is I am shocked on how he would so easily just flush his legacy and his relationship with GB down the toilet without any more remorse than you would stomping on an ant. Personally, this whole B.S. persona the media (KING, MUCC, and Madden) anointed/crammed down our throats over the years makes me sick. That we should be in awe of this living legend is a load a crap. Is he a great QB - yes undoubtedly so, top 10 of all time. You can't tell me if you have one game to win he is your guy - please! Check out the playoffs last year for that answer or there are a few other crucial games in his career you can pick from that he laid a big ole giant egg.

When he retired (I am not sure how to refer to it now - instead of retired should we refer to it as forced out or disowned Brett?) someone asked Mike McCarthy what he would miss the most about Favre and he didn't even hesitate and said "Him on Sundays" and the follow up was what won't you miss about Brett and with no hesitation their either "Him from Tuesdays through Saturdays". I think that speaks volumes about what a royal pain in the a$$ the guy is and he has always struck me just so focused on individual records (ahhhmmm, namely his own) and the big focus being Brett Favre then the team. I don't think "team" first when I think of him. As much as I utterly despise the PATS that is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind when you bring them up, a group of individuals working for one common goal which is winning the SB. Where in Brett's case I truly believe it has been an individual focusing on the individual then the team. I mean this guy is so "BELOVED", "ADORED", "ADMIRED" by America - what will we do with out him. I do have a suggestion - McCain is looking for a mate - everybody is hating on you in America already, why stop with the NFC North, join the team everyone collectively hates.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1441447' date='Jul 15 2008, 14.34']He's young yet. :)[/quote]

True but I make him wear a helmet when he bikes and we've already had the "this is your brain on drugs" talk. So if, having covered the two events most likely to cause redskinfanitis, he still turns in to a Redskins fan, I'll be at peace knowing I did my best for him.

I have no major complaints about TO since he's been at Dallas other than dropped passes. I just disagree with the move to get him and I'm worried about a future meltdown. That's probably not very fair to TO but I'd be more comfortable without him.

Barring a Super Bowl win or JJ falling out of love with Garrett, I believe Wade is gone. Even with a Super Bowl win he may be encouraged to retire to make way for Garrett. I'm not sure Garrett is the second coming but I am sure Wade is a much more effective DC than he is a head coach. No text messages from Wade or JJ. Surprising to me after all the helpful suggestions I've sent their way.

[quote name='DeliriousEdd' post='1441510' date='Jul 15 2008, 16.18']True but I make him wear a helmet when he bikes and we've already had the "this is your brain on drugs" talk. So if, having covered the two events most likely to cause redskinfanitis, he still turns in to a Redskins fan, I'll be at peace knowing I did my best for him.[/quote]

But you're sending mixed messages.

You tell him not to do drugs but then you tell him to root for Michael Irvin and Nate Newton. You tell him to wear a helmet when he bikes, but that's going to keep him from ever understanding Emmitt Smith's football commentary (Don't give up. Don't [i]even[/i] give up.) It's hard to bring up children as Cowboy fans in this day and age. But let me try to help. If I were you, I'd take him aside and show him tape of Roy Williams and go "Look son, if you make the same mistake enough times, they'll name a [i]rule[/i] after you!" :P

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1441549' date='Jul 15 2008, 15.48']But you're sending mixed messages.

You tell him not to do drugs but then you tell him to root for Michael Irvin and Nate Newton. You tell him to wear a helmet when he bikes, but that's going to keep him from ever understanding Emmitt Smith's football commentary (Don't give up. Don't [i]even[/i] give up.) It's hard to bring up children as Cowboy fans in this day and age. But let me try to help. If I were you, I'd take him aside and show him tape of Roy Williams and go "Look son, if you make the same mistake enough times, they'll name a [i]rule[/i] after you!" :P[/quote]
No, you're looking at this all wrong. The Cowboys provide a perfect opportunity for teaching life lessons. Michael Irvin - this is what can happen from drug abuse. Watching Michael "analyze" football is a clear warning to take care of your brain. Watching Michael and Sean Salisbury debate illustrates that nurture (or lack thereof) has gotten Michael where nature obviously intended Sean should be.

Emmitt Smith's commentary shows that while it's a noble goal to be a well rounded man, if you're the best at something popular, you'll get all kinds of opportunities you're not qualified to fill.

Roy "toast" Williams situation is akin to Shakespeare's famous question: Is it better to be known as the poorest pass-coverage safety in the league or as the man whose tackling technique was outlawed because it was too rough? He obviously chose the later. I think the Roy Williams "rule" ought to be if a receiver catches a TD of over 40 yds and two linebackers are closer to the ball than your safety, then the announcers call that "Pulling a Roy Williams". That's more of an affront to the game than horse-collar tackles any day.

Let's not sell the Redskins short in this area though. Fans of the skins can show their kids that cross- dressing overweight men imitating swine are people too. Or learn the valuable lesson that headbutting a wall is dangerous even with a helmet on. Or best of all, that the skins don't just pay lip service to EEO as evidenced by their head coach that they brought over from <shudder> [i]NASCAR[/i]. :)

[quote name='DeliriousEdd' post='1442852' date='Jul 16 2008, 11.20']Or learn the valuable lesson that headbutting a wall is dangerous even with a helmet on.[/quote]

I think it was quite clear to everyone watching at home that Gus Frerotte's hatred for the Giants burned so hot that he was going to tear down their stadium using only his head...or die trying.

Of course his first round TKO allowed neither to happen. :unsure:

Get your Colt Tickets now. Check out this awesome [url="http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/NEWS/80716028"]New Stadium[/url] . That blocks the view for over 200 fans.

[quote]I think for an event of extraordinary demand, like some of the Colts games have been, there is a market for people who just want to be at the game regardless of the view they have although this does seem to be an extreme obstruction, he said.[/quote]

Be interesting if the Colts fans will still be as loud cheering from behind that. I admit the Patriots fans that attend games and hide in booths need a little work themselves.

Oh in case you wanted his opinion. Newt Gingrinch has given it about Brett Farve:

[quote]“I understand that the Packers have made plans to build the offense around Aaron Rodgers, but plans are made to change. And in this case the Packers should adjust their plans quickly to bring back Favre. Can you imagine Favre as a Viking or even worse a Chicago Bear?”[/quote]

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1444132' date='Jul 17 2008, 09.45']Get your Colt Tickets now. Check out this awesome [url="http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/NEWS/80716028"]New Stadium[/url] . That blocks the view for over 200 fans.

Be interesting if the Colts fans will still be as loud cheering from behind that. I admit the Patriots fans that attend games and hide in booths need a little work themselves.[/quote]

I would never sit in those seats. Who the hell wants to be at the game and not see a thing?

[quote name='Mexal' post='1444134' date='Jul 17 2008, 09.46']I would never sit in those seats. Who the hell wants to be at the game and not see a thing?[/quote]

:lol: no shit, right...they should just remove those seats all together.

"i just won colts season tickets!!!"

"shit"

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1444132' date='Jul 17 2008, 06.45']Get your Colt Tickets now. Check out this awesome [url="http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/NEWS/80716028"]New Stadium[/url] . That blocks the view for over 200 fans.

Be interesting if the Colts fans will still be as loud cheering from behind that. I admit the Patriots fans that attend games and hide in booths need a little work themselves.

Oh in case you wanted his opinion. Newt Gingrinch has given it about Brett Farve:[/quote]

Wow, I wonder how much money they wasted putting these seats in?

[quote]I would never sit in those seats. Who the hell wants to be at the game and not see a thing?[/quote]

According to the Colts, those seats are not intended to be sold, ever. They basically put the seats there for asthetics. The obstruction is so pernounced (the picture from the article is hillarious) that the Colts stated that they never intended to have those seats sold ever. In fact, the sections with the most obstructions may be done away permanently to make room for more luxury boxes when the SB comes to town. Not to defend the Colts, but lets not be unfair here.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1444357' date='Jul 17 2008, 12.30']According to the Colts, those seats are not intended to be sold, ever. They basically put the seats there for asthetics. The obstruction is so pernounced (the picture from the article is hillarious) that the Colts stated that they never intended to have those seats sold ever. In fact, the sections with the most obstructions may be done away permanently to make room for more luxury boxes when the SB comes to town. Not to defend the Colts, but lets not be unfair here.[/quote]
They'll probably stash stuff there to pelt 14 year old girls with. :P

Ok, I am a natural born Cheesehead and I love Brett Favre and the Packers. Though I love Brett, I dont think he should play anymore. I just really dont like it when players come back from retirement and I just cant stand the thought of Brett playing for another team. I mean, it was bad enough when Reggie White came back and played for a different team. I agree with the decision to keep Rodgers as the starter.

Besides, Aaron Rodgers mullet will dominate the league! He has talent and he had the best mentor anyone could ask for, so I think he will do well.

Go Pack Go!

We really need a good Colt fan in this thread or a few more Jets fans. Too many damn Patriot fans. :P

Oh when you call Brett Farve a mentor you are supposed to do this: ;)

And when you were saying that. Did you mean football skills or pain killers? Damn I can't make that joke anymore now that the Pats have their own narc. :bang:

On a more serious note:

1)The Cowboys look to be ridiculously good this season Has anyone [i]seen[/i] their roster? The talent is overwhelming, by my eyes, now the best in football. Lot of guys are easy targets (God bless 'em!), and they certainly didn't deserve 13 Pro Bowl selections last season, but 9-10 were quite reasonable and they're better this year. They patched up their biggest weaknesses in the secondary (bye-bye human torch Jacques Reeves) and Julius Jones. Running out of places on that roster where I can say there's not an above average guy manning the position. They've reaped all the benefits that the Patriots reaped that come when you're able to find a Franchise QB in the late round...means you can afford that much more talent everywhere else. Have some concerns that they're just going to flat run teams off the field this season. Been reading that use less motion than basically any team in the league, they'll just flat beat you straight up with athleticism.

What reassures me is my belief that they'll still fall apart in big spots, that they'll still never figure out to make the sum of the whole greater than the individual parts. The most talented team doesn't always win (or the Chargers would have a couple titles by now) and each of the NFC East teams has been able to needle the Cowboys in their own way, in a way that the AFC East teams really don't in regard to the Patriots.

Here's hoping they crash and burn spectacularly. :cheers:

Yeah, I'm probably going to lose Sunday Ticket this year (moving off DirecTV), so I'm going to really regret not being able to watch all the NFC East games. Again looks like the toughest division in the league.

I can't really comment on any teams until training camp starts up. Want to see who ends up going where. Late retirements, trades, cuts, injuries etc. I will say that the pressure is once again on Romo to get it done each week. Seems like the team lets up when they are not playing in their division, like in Buffalo. Part of that is probably coaching, but the QB needs to provide that spark as well.

[quote]And when you were saying that. Did you mean football skills or pain killers? Damn I can't make that joke anymore now that the Pats have their own narc.[/quote]

I read a really interesting article (dont recall where) about painkiller use in the NFL, and the way that there are a huge number of players who need to get doped up to play. Since team doctors will often be very reluctant to give out the massive levels of painkillers that a bunch of massive guys would need, and the tolerance level they likely have at this point, a guy like Kazcur buying a hundred oxy every week or so doesnt sound too out of place.

Archived