NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1444656' date='Jul 17 2008, 15.50']Yeah, I'm probably going to lose Sunday Ticket this year (moving off DirecTV), so I'm going to really regret not being able to watch all the NFC East games. Again looks like the toughest division in the league.[/quote]

I certainly hope it remains tough top to bottom, especially as my gut feeling tells me the Skins will probably end up closer to the bottom than the top.

Y'know, I will say, haven't missed Sunday Ticket that much since I've gone away from DirecTV since a couple seasons ago. Even without it, feel like you can still get a strong feel for how 1/3 of the league played any given Sunday. The only thing that made me miss it last year was the fact the Ravens were really bad. Kept getting their matchups (in non-HD) instead of the primo AFC matchup in that timeslot. I'm hoping they're better this year for that reason alone.*

*And because watching the '07 Ravens offense in every game, except the Patriots matchup (that game remains the game of the year for me), nearly killed me.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1444683' date='Jul 17 2008, 13.07']Y'know, I will say, haven't missed Sunday Ticket that much since I've gone away from DirecTV since a couple seasons ago. Even without it, feel like you can still get a strong feel for how 1/3 of the league played any given Sunday. The only thing that made me miss it last year was the fact the Ravens were really bad. Kept getting their matchups (in non-HD) instead of the primo AFC matchup in that timeslot. I'm hoping their better this year for that reason alone.*[/quote]

I really wish I didn't live in a two-team market with two crappo teams - neither of which are my team. Especially since the condo association makes all sorts of noise over dishes.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1444696' date='Jul 17 2008, 16.13']I really wish I didn't live in a two-team market with two crappo teams - neither of which are my team. Especially since the condo association makes all sorts of noise over dishes.[/quote]

It's not much better here, especially if you aren't a Skins/Ravens fan.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1444618' date='Jul 17 2008, 15.20']We really need a good Colt fan in this thread or a few more Jets fans. Too many damn Patriot fans. :P[/quote]

There's two of us Jets fans so considering how good they are, that is probably enough. To be honest I don't know what to expect this year. I am one of the few people that really likes Pennington as a QB. He manages games, completes passes and somehow wins when he plays. With all the changes the Jets made they should be better this year, but I can't see them winning more than 6 games considering their schedule. Unless everything gels with the new players and they get some luck like they did 2 years ago, it's going to still be a very long season.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1444696' date='Jul 17 2008, 13.13']I really wish I didn't live in a two-team market with two crappo teams - neither of which are my team. Especially since the condo association makes all sorts of noise over dishes.[/quote]

I live in Oregon, so I only get Seahawks games and Broncos. If you still want to watch your games, try going to a sports bar and watch them there, also they might stream some of the games.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1444643' date='Jul 17 2008, 15.41']Here's hoping they crash and burn spectacularly. :cheers:[/quote]

That's something I could drink to!

But yeah, it looks like they're pretty stacked. *crosses fingers*

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1444696' date='Jul 17 2008, 16.13']I really wish I didn't live in a two-team market with two crappo teams - neither of which are my team. Especially since the condo association makes all sorts of noise over dishes.[/quote]

Your condo association can't prevent you from putting up a dish.

[url="http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html"]FCC Fact sheet[/url]

Of particular interest:

[quote]Q: What types of restrictions are prohibited?

A: The rule prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule. The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, [i]private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions[/i], lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property. A restriction impairs if it: (1) unreasonably delays or prevents use of; (2) unreasonably increases the cost of; or (3) precludes a person from receiving or transmitting an acceptable quality signal from an antenna covered under the rule. The rule does not prohibit legitimate safety restrictions or restrictions designed to preserve designated or eligible historic or prehistoric properties, provided the restriction is no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the safety or preservation purpose.[/quote]

I'm no lawyer, and I only briefly looked at the page, but I have always understood that an HOA cannot prevent you from putting up a dish.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1445032' date='Jul 17 2008, 17.36']Your condo association can't prevent you from putting up a dish.

[url="http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html"]FCC Fact sheet[/url]

Of particular interest:

I'm no lawyer, and I only briefly looked at the page, but I have always understood that an HOA cannot prevent you from putting up a dish.[/quote]

But since I am the tenant and not the owner, they CAN make my landlord's life enough of a pain that I regret the day I ever challenged their collective bittydom.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1445036' date='Jul 17 2008, 20.39']But since I am the tenant and not the owner, they CAN make my landlord's life enough of a pain that I regret the day I ever challenged their collective bittydom.[/quote]

Well, I'm not sure how. It seems pretty clear cut to me, unless you live in a place that's "historical" or the other exceptions. The fact that [i]federal law[/i] explicitly says they can't prevent you from putting up a dish should be pretty damning for them.

Of course, people like to be douchebags, especially people that serve on these boards...so I understand if it's not worth the time and trouble. I think I'd send them a cease-and-desist type note, along with a copy of the law. But that may be just because I like to knock down assholes a bit...

Well, Skins get [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625"]Jason Taylor[/url] for a 2009 Second Rounder.

Have mixed feelings. For the most part I like it. There's several reasons why. For one, if you're going to give up draft picks you better get quality. And Taylor's been about as good as it gets from the DE position. Think, considering the way he's trained, he'll be very productive for a couple more years, not so unlike a Strahan. Think he's still one of the best athletes at his position out there. And he fills, by far, the biggest need on the Skins roster: a pass-rushing DE. He also helps our chances if we get caught in a dance-off against other teams. Before we were completely outgunned in that area.

On the downside, somehow our D-Line just got older. Didn't know that was possible. Also, not sure I like having one injury at the beginning of camp every year, and then being forced to peruse the "Disgruntled Veterans List" to fill an enormous hole. This is almost exactly like getting Pete Kendall last year. And while he played great and was the difference between making the playoffs and not...at what point are the Skins actually going to have homegrown depth? It'll be awhile after giving up[i] another[/i] 2nd rounder.

But, on the whole, I like the deal because it's Jason freakin' Taylor. Last year, on a 1-15 team without any other defensive playmakers, he still managed 11 sacks. Think he's an elite enough athlete to still be very good at 33. Want to thank Chuck Klingbeil for making this deal possible.

Oh, BTW, it's the first day of training camp.

Training camp begins and a big trade just happens. NFL network just popped a cork.

Looks like a good trade to me. Tom Brady is very happy. :thumbsup:

Let me try a dance joke. . . perhaps he can take the Skins to the big dance? :/

The fucking Browns are going to have 7 training camp practices before the Bengals even get on the field. That pisses me off.

I liked the trade Jaime. I think the Skins needed him and I think Taylor, as long as he wants to still play football, will be solid still for another 3 years. The Skins are the Yankees of football. Homegrown talent? What's that?

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1448023' date='Jul 20 2008, 18.59']Well, Skins get [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625"]Jason Taylor[/url] for a 2009 Second Rounder.

Have mixed feelings. For the most part I like it. There's several reasons why. For one, if you're going to give up draft picks you better get quality. And Taylor's been about as good as it gets from the DE position. Think, considering the way he's trained, he'll be very productive for a couple more years, not so unlike a Strahan. Think he's still one of the best athletes at his position out there. And he fills, by far, the biggest need on the Skins roster: a pass-rushing DE. He also helps our chances if we get caught in a dance-off against other teams. Before we were completely outgunned in that area.

On the downside, somehow our D-Line just got older. Didn't know that was possible. Also, not sure I like having one injury at the beginning of camp every year, and then being forced to peruse the "Disgruntled Veterans List" to fill an enormous hole. This is almost exactly like getting Pete Kendall last year. And while he played great and was the difference between making the playoffs and not...at what point are the Skins actually going to have homegrown depth? It'll be awhile after giving up[i] another[/i] 2nd rounder.

But, on the whole, I like the deal because it's Jason freakin' Taylor. Last year, on a 1-15 team without any other defensive playmakers, he still managed 11 sacks. Think he's an elite enough athlete to still be very good at 33. Want to thank Chuck Klingbeil for making this deal possible.

Oh, BTW, it's the first day of training camp.[/quote]

No problem. Enjoy. I wish JT and the Redskins, and you the best of luck this season.

Well, maybe not the BEST of luck. A high 2nd rounder is much preferable to a low one. :cheers:

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1448023' date='Jul 20 2008, 18.59']Well, Skins get [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625"]Jason Taylor[/url] for a 2009 Second Rounder.[/quote]
Well I hate that the skins picked up Taylor, if it makes you feel any better. I think his reluctance to play centered on Parcell's and a perceived lack of respect. I could be wrong but his on the field effort last year while on a truly pathetic team spoke volumes. He gets a better team and a better organization so he should be fired up and ready to go.

I'd like to say that you're analysis of the cowboys is way off...but I can't. It's been their MO for a couple years, especially about the sum of the parts. JJ and Snyder both operate under the false assumption that an overpaid all star team will be superior to a well balanced, cohesive unit. I hope the cowboys win it all but a stellar regular season won't make me any more confident going in to the first playoff game.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1448331' date='Jul 21 2008, 00.26']Yeah, my first reaction to the Taylor trade was, "Hey, he's out of the division."

My best wishes to Jason Taylor in chasing down all those NFC East QBs. :)[/quote]

Not only that, the NFC East does not play the AFC East again for 3 years. So unless they meet in the Superbowl, Jason Taylor is not going to be able to beat Light like a gong on Korean New Year again.

[quote]Yeah, my first reaction to the Taylor trade was, "Hey, he's out of the division."

My best wishes to Jason Taylor in chasing down all those NFC East QBs.[/quote]

This was my exact reaction. JT is out of the division, I think he's agreat guy and I want him to do well. I am not sure the Skins are the team for him, but it seems like a good fit.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1448275' date='Jul 20 2008, 23.50']Looks like a good trade to me. Tom Brady is very happy. :thumbsup:[/quote]

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1448331' date='Jul 21 2008, 00.26']Yeah, my first reaction to the Taylor trade was, "Hey, he's out of the division."

My best wishes to Jason Taylor in chasing down all those NFC East QBs. :)[/quote]

Yeah, heard that Taylor had sacked Tom Brady more than any other QB. Impressive considering how rarely Brady goes down. My hope is he develops a similar crush on Tony Romo.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1448686' date='Jul 21 2008, 06.36']The fucking Browns are going to have 7 training camp practices before the Bengals even get on the field. That pisses me off.[/quote]

The silver lining is that at least no-one gets injured. Skins had two DEs go down for the season on the first day of training camp. I don't think they were even in pads. Now I'm freaked out that we have all this extra camp and 5 preseason games.

[quote]I liked the trade Jaime. I think the Skins needed him and I think Taylor, as long as he wants to still play football, will be solid still for another 3 years. The Skins are the Yankees of football. Homegrown talent? What's that?[/quote]

It's kinda true. At least both teams are taking steps to growing their own talent, but the Skins are always one injury from a relapse. Y'know, the whole waking up with a horrible hangover, mouth tasting like ash, rolling over in bed and seeing TJ Duckett there, feeling nauseous as you wonder "[i]Did we[/i]?" Wonder if the Yankees are still there too. Or if they've finally put down the phone for good. Withdrawal can be a bitch.

[quote name='Chuck Klingbeil' post='1448780' date='Jul 21 2008, 08.23']No problem. Enjoy. I wish JT and the Redskins, and you the best of luck this season.

Well, maybe not the BEST of luck. A high 2nd rounder is much preferable to a low one. :cheers:[/quote]

Wishing y'all luck too. Think Parcells has righted the ship and brought a lot of stability to the organization, basically turning it into Dallas East (with a draft that's making the Dolphins Ann Arbor South). But if you look at the talent that the Parcells regime was able to amass in Dallas, you gotta feel pretty good about what he can do in Miami. Already feels like a different organization.

Archived