NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1460849' date='Jul 29 2008, 12.57']It's okay. We're used to Pats fans misspelling or outright fabricating their player's names all the time. Who was that receiver with the big eyes again?[/quote]

Reche Caldwell. Currently playing for the Rams.

[quote name='14th Dragon' post='1460848' date='Jul 29 2008, 12.57']Ofcourse I know. I know all 80 guys on the roster right now.[/quote]

Thats pretty impressive. I know most of them, but not all of them.

[quote name='14th Dragon' post='1460867' date='Jul 29 2008, 13.03']Anyone thinking about drafting the other Adrian Peterson?[/quote]

No, but I might take a flyer on the rookie Matt Forte.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1460883' date='Jul 29 2008, 13.09']Thats pretty impressive. I know most of them, but not all of them.[/quote]

Eh, I have been trying to work out who to keep tabs on.

Mark Dillard not being one of them.

Personally I loved the Bauta situation. Signed, then Mayo signs and he is cut, Mruczkowski retires, he is signed, Jordan signs and he is cut. That is the definition of 80th guy.

[quote]Reche Caldwell. Currently playing for the Rams.[/quote]

He's the water boy, right?

Regardless of Merriweather or whomever else they have, I need to see some results before I put my fears to rest. Training Camp is sort of a semi-spin zone where teams try to really talk up what they have and how its so great. Until I see Fernando Bryant, Mike Richardson, Jason Webster or Lewis Sanders actually cover somebody for the Pats, I am skeptical, to say nothing of the rookies, Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite.

Apparently Bryant looks great... in July. So, while its nice to be upbeat, I am just wondering how ANY team can replace their #1 and #3 cover guys and be perfectly fine.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1460907' date='Jul 29 2008, 13.21']He's the water boy, right?

Regardless of Merriweather or whomever else they have, I need to see some results before I put my fears to rest. Training Camp is sort of a semi-spin zone where teams try to really talk up what they have and how its so great. Until I see Fernando Bryant, Mike Richardson, Jason Webster or Lewis Sanders actually cover somebody for the Pats, I am skeptical, to say nothing of the rookies, Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite.

Apparently Bryant looks great... in July. So, while its nice to be upbeat, I am just wondering how ANY team can replace their #1 and #3 cover guys and be perfectly fine.[/quote]

Well, given that with Troy Brown and Earthwind Moreland at corner they were able to scheme a defense, I am not going to get my stomach into a knot.

It all comes down to Linebacker play. The front three can play and can eat up blockers. But unless the outside guys can bring the heat while containting the running backs with inside guys ready to take on some guards and knock running backs and tight ends heads off.

It comes down to Mayo and Hobson. You get good play from them and the defense will keep offenses under 20 game in and game out.

[quote name='childe roland' post='1461043' date='Jul 29 2008, 14.44']could have lived quite happily w/o that info[/quote]
Here's another one for ya: Rush Limbaugh wants to [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/At-last-Rush-Limbaugh-seeks-to-be-involved-with;_ylt=Aj9aScBodJuPjYghhDo.Vu1DubYF?urn=nfl,96705"]buy the Rams[/url].

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1461107' date='Jul 29 2008, 14.36']Here's another one for ya: Rush Limbaugh wants to [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/At-last-Rush-Limbaugh-seeks-to-be-involved-with;_ylt=Aj9aScBodJuPjYghhDo.Vu1DubYF?urn=nfl,96705"]buy the Rams[/url].[/quote]

i saw this one. its like they want me not to be fan

"And in an offensive explosion no one could have predicted, Donovan McNabb today threw six touchdowns, ran for two more, and heaved a football into the owner's box as the visiting Eagles destroyed the hapless Rams, 56-3. Asked for his comment, Rams owner Rush Limbaugh stood by his contention that McNabb was an 'overrated black guy being coddled by white media guilt.'"

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1461107' date='Jul 29 2008, 12.36']Here's another one for ya: Rush Limbaugh wants to [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/At-last-Rush-Limbaugh-seeks-to-be-involved-with;_ylt=Aj9aScBodJuPjYghhDo.Vu1DubYF?urn=nfl,96705"]buy the Rams[/url].[/quote]

I would love this. Just one more reason to get excited when my Niners play the Rams. But as a general rule, I just think it's pretty awesome to have wacky, outspoken sports owners on the scene. I would love for Mark Cuban to own the Cubs. Hell, I'd love for him to own the Giants.

I'm really starting to get fired up for this football season. I do this every year, it seems, but I'm starting to convince myself the Niners could be good once again. Is it that irrational for me to hope that an offensive core of Gore, Smith, Vernon Davis, Bryant Johnson, Isaac Bruce, a solid young OL and some promising young receivers could be average or slightly above? And that a defense with Willis, Clements, Michael Lewis, a healthy Manny Lawson, and Justin Smith could be playoff caliber? Gosh, I sure hope not, but time will tell.

Archived