NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

[quote name='Red Templar' post='1462394' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.37']And, unfortunately, that's probably the best it's ever going to get, when it comes to Bengals related news.

How many starters have we lost for the year already? Have we signed Rivers yet? Will he be signed by midseason?[/quote]

I'm actually optimistic.

We have not signed Rivers. We haven't lost any starters for the year yet and he will be signed by midseason but maybe not the end of training camp :(

[quote name='Mexal' post='1462402' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.42']I'm actually optimistic.[/quote]

Typical Bengal fan melancholy aside, I'm actually optomistic as well. I really like that we have a real tight end now - one that can actually run routes and catch. We haven't had one of those since the days of Rodney Holman. It should take some pressure off Carson and also open up the running game a bit. It may also open things up for Chad and TJ. Maybe we'll score TD's instead of FG's this year.

[quote name='Red Templar' post='1462411' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.47']Typical Bengal fan melancholy aside, I'm actually optomistic as well. I really like that we have a real tight end now - one that can actually run routes and catch. We haven't had one of those since the days of Rodney Holman. It should take some pressure off Carson and also open up the running game a bit. It may also open things up for Chad and TJ. Maybe we'll score TD's instead of FG's this year.[/quote]

I hear you. Added to that, Chris Perry is healthy and looking great from all reports. Also, it seems Rudi is a tree trunk of muscle and that he actually looks quicker than he did last year. He's focused and from all indications, he looks the best of anyone thus far. He'll have the power back from '05-'06 and that can only help our ability to use play action passes, especially with Utrect.

The problem is still going to be the defense :(

[quote name='Mexal' post='1462419' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.50']The problem is still going to be the defense :([/quote]

I think we have the potential to be much better this year. I'd be happy with a "fair" ranked defense (say 16-22 out of the 32 teams). The corners will have some experience under their belts, and they are both talented, so that could add a lot right there. It would be nice to sign Rivers and have him step in and make an immediate impact.

[quote name='Red Templar' post='1462445' date='Jul 30 2008, 14.12']I think we have the potential to be much better this year. I'd be happy with a "fair" ranked defense (say 16-22 out of the 32 teams). The corners will have some experience under their belts, and they are both talented, so that could add a lot right there. It would be nice to sign Rivers and have him step in and make an immediate impact.[/quote]

Agreed.

Solomon Wilcots and Jim Miller are absolutely loving the secondary. They think they're very skilled players and they are liking how Zimmer is all over them. They were also talking about Marvin White being very impressive. Miller has been going on and on about Pat Sims as well. He thinks that Shirley and Sims can be solid once they get the technique down and give us some big bodies in the middle. But yea, not having Rivers there is hurting us.

ETA: Willie Anderson is a class act. I wish there were more players like him.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1462336' date='Jul 30 2008, 12.57']Not really. The season hasn't started yet. We'll be getting PASSIONED SPEECHES about the way the RULES WORK and CHEATING CHEATERS who CHEAT while Thom BRADY gets FELLATED.[/quote]

You mean [url="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/noranne/tombrady2.jpg"]this [/url]wasn't a good use of my morning? :(

But yes, I think the NFL fans are [i]somewhat [/i]more civil than others I have encountered. They at least TRY to have better opinions than "You're team sucks JUST BECUZ!!!!1!!11!!!"

[quote name='Starkess' post='1462461' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.17']You mean [url="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/noranne/tombrady2.jpg"]this [/url]wasn't a good use of my morning? :(

But yes, I think the NFL fans are [i]somewhat [/i]more civil than others I have encountered. They at least TRY to have better opinions than "You're team sucks JUST BECUZ!!!!1!!11!!!"[/quote]

I just thank God that the Manning boys aren't forced to do cheesecake photos or be the subject of junior high girl collages. :) No one wants Peyton Manning in anything less than full uniform.

[quote name='Chris G' post='1462381' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.30']It is well known in Indianapolis that Belichick is pure evil, while Tony is kinda like the Obama of football coaches. After all the almosts and coulda beens, he lead us to the promised land. I am surprised that Belichick can even enter the state without painful burning. Eventually he will have to coach from a bubble so as to not contaminate the great new stadium. :smug:[/quote]

Now that is the kind of Colts fan I need! Welcome indeed. As was hinted this is just light practice. The real hitting begins when the season starts. We might need to brings some Refs (mods) in for practice.

[quote name='Red Templar' post='1462382' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.31']I don't have access, but would be interested in a summary. You should now feel comforted that you are no longer the only Bengal fan out here.[/quote]
[quote name='Mexal' post='1462391' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.35']HOLY SHIT!
That's the most exciting thing I've heard in the past year.[/quote]

:love: Finally! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjtRJkS85w"]Two Princes! [/url]

The NFL decided not to punish our star starting RB for a hit-and-run (or maybe it was local authorities? dunno). Anyhow, I blame residual effects of his Kal schooling.

Fortunately, I expect Trent Edwards to begin ruining faces this year.

[quote name='Chris G' post='1462488' date='Jul 30 2008, 14.27']I just thank God that the Manning boys aren't forced to do cheesecake photos or be the subject of junior high girl collages. :) No one wants Peyton Manning in anything less than full uniform.[/quote]

Junior high? :( Although interestingly enough, I was in junior high when I first became a Patriots fan (pre-Tom Brady I might add). It's not my fault my favorite team ended up getting the hottest quarterback ever. (Although, he [url="http://bostonist.com/attachments/boston_caroline/010307-tom-brady.jpg"]wasn't so droolworthy at first[/url].)

[quote name='Chris G' post='1462488' date='Jul 30 2008, 14.27']I just thank God that the Manning boys aren't forced to do cheesecake photos or be the subject of junior high girl collages. :) No one wants Peyton Manning in anything less than full uniform.[/quote]
To his credit, college chicks are more [url="http://www.drunkathlete.com/2006/12/27/eli-being-eli.aspx"]Eli Manning's style[/url]. ;)

[quote name='Starkess' post='1462518' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.41']Junior high? :( Although interestingly enough, I was in junior high when I first became a Patriots fan (pre-Tom Brady I might add). It's not my fault my favorite team ended up getting the hottest quarterback ever. (Although, he [url="http://bostonist.com/attachments/boston_caroline/010307-tom-brady.jpg"]wasn't so droolworthy at first[/url].)[/quote]

I will freely admit that Tommy owns the Mannings when it comes to the pretty.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1462525' date='Jul 30 2008, 13.44']To his credit, college chicks are more [url="http://www.drunkathlete.com/2006/12/27/eli-being-eli.aspx"]Eli Manning's style[/url]. ;)[/quote]

It's good to be the king.

Seriously would that chick even give him the time of day if he weren't Eli Manning.

[quote]Not really. The season hasn't started yet. We'll be getting PASSIONED SPEECHES about the way the RULES WORK and CHEATING CHEATERS who CHEAT while Thom BRADY gets FELLATED.[/quote]

Thanks for disproving the myth that these boards bring in a higher class of poster. Thanks, beautiful.

[quote]Perhaps you can jointly go into great detail about how you barely managed to squeak by a team with just about all of its offensive weapons disabled. Or resume laughing at a guy who had the courage to admit he physically just couldn't play without hurting his team. That is always fun.[/quote]

As far as “barely” you must mean “completely dominated the second half” than yeah, I can talk about that. The team was hurt by injuries, but Rivers was a complete stud and I admire the way he told all of his other teammates what it means to truly want to win in the playoffs. I have never said otherwise.

[quote]The issue is him sulking on the sidelines while his team played their guts out. We expect injured players to be rooting on the sideline, hyping up their teammates, taking part in huddles, etc. Not squatting on a bench with his cloak and visored helmet on, sulking like a Sith lord whose apprentice has upstaged him.[/quote]

We also will never know what actually happened. Originally, LT claimed that the team doctors did not authorize him to return to the game; the teams medical staff then denied this. LT then stated that he thought he tore the ligament, etc, and after the game stated that he definitely needed surgery. He then stated he did not need surgery (he never had surgery). The only thing we definitely do know is that LT had NEVER suffered a knee injury before, and had no idea what to expect. He knows his body than anyone, and if he thought the bets thing to do was sit on the sidelines looking like “Darth Vader-lite” that’s his business and I cannot criticize him for doing so.

[quote]I try not to be that guy, but if the Colts start to destroy teams than that could all change.[/quote]

EVIL COLTS! It could work.

[quote]I felt that the Manning/Brady thing didn't need discussion since the true measure of greatness is commercial presence. I mean can Tom Brady sell Double Stuff Oreos and Phones. I don't think so.[/quote]

That’s low. Really. Peyton Manning it an unstoppable force in front of the Camera and hawking stuff. And he usually has a great sense of humor about the whole thing. Brady looks like he wants to flee.

[quote]It is well known in Indianapolis that Belichick is pure evil, while Tony is kinda like the Obama of football coaches. After all the almosts and coulda beens, he lead us to the promised land. I am surprised that Belichick can even enter the state without painful burning. Eventually he will have to coach from a bubble so as to not contaminate the great new stadium.[/quote]

We have an all environmental suit waiting for him. I just wonder how the Colts will do in a new stadium- I mean, did the officiating crew that came with the old stadium and did all the Colts' playoff games make the move as well, or did the NFL supply them with a new one?

[quote]Actually I am all about mocking the Chargers. Probably because 9 times out 10 they own the Colts, and they are a bastions of douches.[/quote]

No no. Just the part about them being a bastion of douches will suffice; we are not talking about a classy organization here. You can just declare their douchyness and leave it at that.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1462496' date='Jul 30 2008, 14.31']:love: Finally! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjtRJkS85w"]Two Princes! [/url][/quote]

I'm guessing I should be glad youtube is blocked from my work. :)

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1462663' date='Jul 30 2008, 15.45']I'm a huge sports fan but I don't really have an NFL team. It makes the NFL thread feel wrong somehow. In all the other sports threads, I have shit to talk...

I need to think about this...[/quote]

I know a team that could use a little support...

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1462663' date='Jul 30 2008, 15.45']I'm a huge sports fan but I don't really have an NFL team. It makes the NFL thread feel wrong somehow. In all the other sports threads, I have shit to talk...

I need to think about this...[/quote]

I used to have the same problem (I'm from Iowa, who the fuck am I gonna like?). Then one day when I was about 12, I was watching a game between the Patriots and someone else. Everyone was rooting for one team or another, and I don't like watching sports without rooting for a team, so I picked the Patriots because they had a cooler name.

And now look! I get to (well, got to, until February 3) talk shit all I want. It's great fun!

(Unfortunately this hasn't worked so well with my favorite basketball team, the Miami Heat. :leaving:)

[quote name='Starkess' post='1462686' date='Jul 30 2008, 15.57']I used to have the same problem (I'm from Iowa, who the fuck am I gonna like?). Then one day when I was about 12, I was watching a game between the Patriots and someone else. Everyone was rooting for one team or another, and I don't like watching sports without rooting for a team, so I picked the Patriots because they had a cooler name.

And now look! I get to (well, got to, until February 3) talk shit all I want. It's great fun!

(Unfortunately this hasn't worked so well with my favorite basketball team, the Miami Heat. :leaving:)[/quote]

Oddly enough... that's how I ended up liking the 49ers. Everyone in fifth grade was worked up about the Bengals in the Super Bowl, so I picked the other team.

I can certainly sympathize with a lack of teams to cheer for in Iowa... I lived in Davenport for 3.5 years. I'll never forget when they pre-empted Law and Order for the state high school wrestling tournament... :stunned:

Archived