NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1448906' date='Jul 21 2008, 09.49']The silver lining is that at least no-one gets injured. Skins had two DEs go down for the season on the first day of training camp. I don't think they were even in pads. Now I'm freaked out that we have all this extra camp and 5 preseason games.[/quote]

Yea, I guess that's true. But 7 extra practices can help if no one gets injured, especially for our defense which consists of mostly players under the age of 25.

[quote name='Jaime']It's kinda true. At least both teams are taking steps to growing their own talent, but the Skins are always one injury from a relapse. Y'know, the whole waking up with a horrible hangover, mouth tasting like ash, rolling over in bed and seeing TJ Duckett there, feeling nauseous as you wonder "[i]Did we[/i]?" Wonder if the Yankees are still there too. Or if they've finally put down the phone for good. Withdrawal can be a bitch.[/quote]

They're getting better. There is still the inclination to go grab a veteran with as much money as possible but they've passed on it multiple times lately because they're growing their own talent. We're not there yet but we're starting to get back to the level that we were pre 1996 though most of our talent is in pitchers. Our hitters, with talent anyway, are just under-performing which means we'll end up buying someone in this offseason.

I like the trade, from indications in the press it seems he will play past the one year and so we get a deal for essentially a second rounder.

We do have good homegrown talent on the Skins and its starting to show in key positions like Rocky Macintosh and Cooley and Landry among others. And we had possibly the best safety in football homegrown before he was murdered, RIP Mr. Taylor.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1448963' date='Jul 21 2008, 10.25']I like the trade, from indications in the press it seems he will play past the one year and so we get a deal for essentially a second rounder.

We do have good homegrown talent on the Skins and its starting to show in key positions like Rocky Macintosh and Cooley and Landry among others. And we had possibly the best safety in football homegrown before he was murdered, RIP Mr. Taylor.[/quote]

You traded for Macintosh :)

Landry and Cooley are studs though.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1448963' date='Jul 21 2008, 10.25']We do have good homegrown talent on the Skins and its starting to show in key positions like Rocky Macintosh and Cooley and Landry among others. And we had possibly the best safety in football homegrown before he was murdered, RIP Mr. Taylor.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree we have some excellent homegrown talent. Just wish there was more of it and that they weren't so cursed. Taylor, Landry, Rogers (who FO says was on his way to being a shutdown corner before getting injured last year), McIntosh and Montgomery (who's fast becoming our best D-Lineman) were the backbone of what could be an excellent defense. But Rogers and McIntosh are still recovering from their nasty injuries and probably won't be back for first few weeks and Taylor's loss hurts most of all. He alone had the ability to make a good defense, dominant. At least in the last four games, Landry showed he's gifted enough to fill the Taylor role almost completely, but to think they could've had two Sean Taylors on the field...

[quote name='Mexal' post='1448965' date='Jul 21 2008, 10.27']You traded for Macintosh :)

Landry and Cooley are studs though.[/quote]

No, we traded up in the draft to get McIntosh. They targeted him as a guy they wanted.

Fox sports is repoting that the Giants have traded [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364800/Sources:-Giants-to-trade-Shockey-to-Saints?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5"]Jeremy Shockey[/url] to the Saints. This could be a good move for both teams, the Saints will have a new weapon and the Giants got rid of a pain in the ass and disgruntled player.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1449385' date='Jul 21 2008, 14.52']Fox sports is repoting that the Giants have traded [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364800/Sources:-Giants-to-trade-Shockey-to-Saints?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5"]Jeremy Shockey[/url] to the Saints. This could be a good move for both teams, the Saints will have a new weapon and the Giants got rid of a pain in the ass and disgruntled player.[/quote]

Just saw that. For a second and fifth round pick, that's a steal in my book.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1449464' date='Jul 21 2008, 15.42']Just saw that. For a second and fifth round pick, that's a steal in my book.[/quote]

Apperently the Taylor trade has set the market.

Next Bret Farve will be traded to Vikings for a second and third.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1449464' date='Jul 21 2008, 15.42']Just saw that. For a second and fifth round pick, that's a steal in my book.[/quote]

Which way? Thought they were bandying about talk of a fourth rounder after a season, but maybe I misremember.

Another deal that makes a lot of sense for both sides. Be interesting to see what Brees can do with an athletic Tight End and what Shockey becomes with a QB that doesn't appear to be going through puberty. But a 2nd and a 5th is a good haul for a guy The Giants won the Super Bowl without.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1449385' date='Jul 21 2008, 13.52']Fox sports is repoting that the Giants have traded [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364800/Sources:-Giants-to-trade-Shockey-to-Saints?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5"]Jeremy Shockey[/url] to the Saints. This could be a good move for both teams, the Saints will have a new weapon and the Giants got rid of a pain in the ass and disgruntled player.[/quote]

I think both teams come out well in this trade as long as Shockey stays healthy. Of course, Shockey has been injured virtually every year he's played so the Saints have to hope he only misses 2-3 games a season.

Shockey is happy to be reunited with Sean Payton, the Saints are happy to get a TE who when healthy is statwise 2 or 3 in the league. The Giants are happy to be rid of his mouth and pick up a 2, which they can use to draft a quality player, and a 5th in which they can just add to their other draft picks.

Now Favre is the only other big name out there who is making demands of his team...it will be interesting to see how his situation unfolds now that Taylor and Shockey have been moved.

YW

Found [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8363808/On-the-Mark:-Shockey%27s-ego-had-to-go?MSNHPHMA"]this[/url] on Fox Sports about the Shockey trade. He makes some great points; that despite Shockey's rookie season, the Giants were very happy to see the back of Shockey and Manning became a better QB without him.

[quote]Four days before that championship game, I asked Eli Manning if he had spoken to Shockey since the team's arrival in Arizona.

"I've not spoken to Jeremy this week," said Manning, before adding none too convincingly, "Uh, so, I'll try to talk to him sometime."

In fact, Manning — who flourished, unadmonished, in Shockey's absence — hadn't even seen him. Nor did he care to. What's more, outside of a few reporters who could've used the smart-ass quotes, nobody seemed to miss him.[/quote]

[quote]Next Bret Farve will be traded to Vikings for a second and third.[/quote]

I don't see this happening. Peter King seems to believe its going to be Tampa Bay.

As far as Shockey, I think the Giants did the best thing and got rid of the guy- teammates seemed to dislike him, he was a distraction, and the team proved conclusively that they could live without him. Shocky is also a magnet for injuries and does not know when the STFU. I do not doubt that the Saints did well by the deal, but I just think that the Giants did as good as you could for a player that they could not keep.

Sometimes these ESPN [url="http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0723/pg2_camp_300.jpg"]Cartoons are pretty good[/url]

[b]Quick Poll. Has your team's #1 draft pick been signed?[/b] Still waiting on The Patriots to sign Mayo. As I understand there is some uncertainty about the collective bargaining agreement. Patriots officially start Thurs.

Bears fan. We just signed Williams to a five year deal. For a minute I was happy, what with Urlacher getting his extension and restructuring. Then I found out Hester was holding out and was a no show. I definitely think he needs a renegotiated contract, but fuck man! He really needs to be there taking reps if he wants to get a lot of downs. Dammit.

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1453697' date='Jul 23 2008, 21.15']Let's do a poll:

Who is the least bad Bears QB since '85?

I think Jim Miller was the worst. Off the top of my head...I'm going with Steve Walsh as the least bad QB for Chicago in the last 23 years.

I am not some Packer or Viking fan. I am just amazed that the QB play can be so poor for a franchise for so long. And a franchise of otherwise great repute. Incredible.[/quote]

Since McMahon? Erik Kramer.

And Jim Miller's your worst? Somewhere Cade McNown just punched a wall.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1453701' date='Jul 23 2008, 22.17']Since McMahon? Erik Kramer.[/quote]

I believe you win sir though Jim Harbaugh came first to mind for me (1995? Pro-Bowl).

On a completely unrelated note. Two of my friends in college hung out with the uber-rich crowd (foreign Northwestern undergrads who were the sons of millionaires and billionaires, no kidding) went to a party and saw a girl wearing a huge ring around her neck. One of my friends goes up to her and asks her about it and she tells him it's her father's NFL ring and talks about her brother playing football in Europe. It turns out that she was Walter Payton's daughter and it was her father's SuperBowl ring. :stunned: I was so pissed I didn't go.

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1453697' date='Jul 23 2008, 22.15']Let's do a poll:

Who is the least bad Bears QB since '85?[/quote]

Hmm. Difficult question. [url="http://www.bearshistory.com/lore/chicagobearsquarterbacks.aspx"]For those who need Help - Bears QB history[/url]

I guess you would have to go with Jim Harbaugh? Not sure Flutie counts.

Jim Miller the worst?? He ranks up as one of the BEST. He was their QB when they went to the 2001 playoffs and finished 13-3. He had repectable numbers when he wasn't hurt. And when wasnt he. That does seem to be the trend in chicago. Brittle quarterbacks.

I would say Erik Kramer. He put up some really good numbers in the mid 90's. The problems then was that Wanny's (Dave Wannstedt) defense was horrid.

God...the worst? Maybe we should have sub catagories for like: weakest arm, bigest jerk, most fumble prone, most like to throw into triple coverage. :P

[quote name='CelticBrennus' post='1454298' date='Jul 24 2008, 09.14']Bandito: Mayo was just signed this morning, so as of now, all the Patriots picks have been signed, and will be at training camp.[/quote]

Good. That means the Bengals can sign Rivers soon.

Nice, now we can expect a domino effect.

As for Bears QB's. Don't forget Rick Mirer. They gave up a lot for him. But the Patriots were not much before Mr. Bledsoe. :unsure: I really wish we had a good Colts fan here. I want to ask them if they are nervous about Manning and Sorgi possibly starting the season.

Archived