Daniel Abraham

Tycho

Paperback only, as far as I know.

I just got word that my copy's in the mail. Being in Canada, it usually takes a while to reach me, but some American bloggers should have their copies soon. Reviews in the next couple of weeks, I expect.

What's Ty Franck done before this? Is he a sci-fi author?

I was also wondering if there are any reviews out for "the Dragon's path" yet? I guess it's still slightly too soon but there may be ARCs floating around the blogoshpere by now.

He did a story in the 'Orson Scott Card Universe' thing, and i think he has a story in one of the wild card books.

Just finished a Shadow in Summer and it was quite good. Though I'm a bit confused,

is there a reason the Galts had to go through some elaborate conspiracy instead of simply knifing Heshai in the soft quarter?

They maybe enjoy a flair for the dramatic? I guess there could be 2 reasons 1)they couldn't risk seedless helping him and 2) they couldn't risk the Kai thinking it was them who were behind it (which I suspect would be the default reaction)

They maybe enjoy a flair for the dramatic? I guess there could be 2 reasons 1)they couldn't risk seedless helping him and 2) they couldn't risk the Kai thinking it was them who were behind it (which I suspect would be the default reaction)

I think probably the latter. Since there would be economic devastation in the city if the andat was lost then they'd probably think (rightly or wrongly) that no native would kill the city's poet so they'd instinctively blame a foreign power, and their first thought would be to blame the Galts, even if they didn't catch the assassins.

Good enough. The worldbuilding could have been improved by giving the guy a better security detail, but I'm not going to worry about it.

It would seem sensible for him to be better protected, I think there is a theme throughout the series that the Khaiem have grown complacent and assume that their ability to wipe opposing nations off that map with a single thought from a poet means they don't have to worry about external threats.

It would seem sensible for him to be better protected, I think there is a theme throughout the series that the Khaiem have grown complacent and assume that their ability to wipe opposing nations off that map with a single thought from a poet means they don't have to worry about external threats.

This is a very good point. Not just the Khaiem but their entire populace have grown overly complacent. It's a general them throughout a large part of the series.

This is a very good point. Not just the Khaiem but their entire populace have grown overly complacent. It's a general them throughout a large part of the series.

They're also complacent about the fact that it is becoming more and more difficult for the poets to get new andats, I'm not sure how widespread that knowledge is (maybe the poets are trying to keep it secret) but we don't see many attempts to prepare for a future where they wouldn't be able to rely on andats to support their economy.

Just finished a Shadow in Summer and it was quite good. Though I'm a bit confused,

is there a reason the Galts had to go through some elaborate conspiracy instead of simply knifing Heshai in the soft quarter?

At the beginning of An Autumn War you're given hints of the kind of ridiculous power poets could wield with their andat throughout history. There are enough andat left in use (outside of Seedless) that any hint of trouble from Galt would lead to a total and utter decimation of their country. The Khaiem even laugh about their power over other nations when rumors of Galt threats appear in Shadow. For that reason, Galt couldn't risk anything close to real involvement.

Worse, the Khaiem who fear for innocent lives cannot allow blame to fall on Galt, regardless of who is responsible. The casualties would be astronomical.

So judging by this thread I should definitely do what I've been considering this past week and start reading Daniel Abraham.

Excellent. Most excellent.

Just remember to stick with "the long price" as while it's entertaining from the start it doesn't really become apparent why everuone raves about it until book 3. That was my experience anyway.

Just remember to stick with "the long price" as while it's entertaining from the start it doesn't really become apparent why everuone raves about it until book 3. That was my experience anyway.

And as an added note, remember each book is only a few hundred pages. You're not going to invest a month and 2000 pages just to figure out if the series is for you or not.

For those interested in this kind of thing, I've posted the Prologue from The Dragon's Path on my blog.

I'm near the end of the novel now and it's wonderful. It's much more accessible than The Long Price Quartet, but still manages to accomplish all those things Abraham is so good at. The first half starts off fairly traditionally, but the second half is chock full of economics, delicate character relationships, politics and subtle hints of magic. Wonderful.

Archived