NFL Week 2

Ser Paladin

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1512332' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.38']That low Wonderlic score all of a sudden doesn't look so ridiculous anymore...

Amongst all the news of Tom Brady, Shawn Merriman, and the Rogers/Favre saga... somehow I missed this story that [url="http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_10407222"]Alex Smith has a season ending shoulder injury.[/url] Welp, kiddos. I guess you can call it a career for Mr. Smith.[/quote]

He might get another shot but it won't be with SF. Just look at how many shots David Carr has had.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1512338' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.40']He might get another shot but it won't be with SF. Just look at how many shots David Carr has had.[/quote]

True. But Carr doesn't have a potentially chronic shoulder injury. I'd say the more apt comparison is Tim Couch who first got a shot in Green Bay to be the first Aaron Rodgers and more recently couldn't make the top three QBs on a Jaguars team that ended up canning two of their top three QBs by mid season. And then eventually admitted to taking HGH in an attempt to heal his shoulder.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1512323' date='Sep 10 2008, 06.32']Peter King was speculating on Sirius this morning that if Tyler does well this year in Merriman's spot, it could be the end of Merriman as a Charger. I personally think that's an idiotic statement but he was speculating.[/quote]

Well, no one knew who Lou Gherig was before Wally Pip went down with an injury either.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1512360' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.55']True. But Carr doesn't have a potentially chronic shoulder injury. I'd say the more apt comparison is Tim Couch who first got a shot in Green Bay to be the first Aaron Rodgers and more recently couldn't make the top three QBs on a Jaguars team that ended up canning two of their top three QBs by mid season. And then eventually admitted to taking HGH in an attempt to heal his shoulder.[/quote]

Think that's the best comparison. Course the slight difference is, as much of a bust as he was, Couch at one time helped lead the Browns to the playoffs.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1512427' date='Sep 10 2008, 10.38']Think that's the best comparison. Course the slight difference is, as much of a bust as he was, Couch at one time helped lead the Browns to the playoffs.[/quote]

As a total and complete Kentucky fanboy, that's always been my argument as to why he isn't the biggest bust ever. Its funny, the Browns had an 8-8 record that year and got in. They were 10-6 last year and missed it. The NFL is a funny thing from year to year.

There is an interesting bit about how the Pats might alter the gameplan with Cassel - run a little bit more, but use the same sets of formations and such. According to Doug Flutie

[quote]Echoing the words of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, he makes the point that the Patriots are a game-plan offense, meaning they tailor their approach specifically toward the weaknesses of that week's opponent. That runs in contrast to other teams that have less variety but are particularly difficult to stop in one area because they do it so well.

So when it comes to the Patriots, it's a chameleon-like style. It is particularly ambitious, but having a player of Brady's caliber made it possible to execute.

Can they do the same with Cassel?

Flutie believes the answer is yes, although it likely will come with some modifications.

"I think the world of Matt and I think he can handle it," said Flutie. "He knows that system and he can make all the throws. So I don't think you change anything, but you may limit it somewhat because he hasn't run all the stuff that Tom has before."[/quote]

[url="http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/09/10/getting_read_on_cassel_playbook/"]http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...assel_playbook/[/url]

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1512495' date='Sep 10 2008, 08.19']As a total and complete Kentucky fanboy, that's always been my argument as to why he isn't the biggest bust ever. Its funny, the Browns had an 8-8 record that year and got in. They were 10-6 last year and missed it. The NFL is a funny thing from year to year.[/quote]

I do not consider Couch a big draft bust, That Browns team was horrible when he was the QB. They has a sucky O-line, defense, RB/WRs, and coach. He was so banged up his first couple years that he was so hurt that they had a QB battle with Charlie Fry (who is now 3rd string in Seattle). Was he worth a first overall pick; probably not, but he could have been Joe Montana and still would have not been that good.

Okay, why are we not talking more about Vince Young? This is a guy who has his mom telling the press that he doesn't want to play football any more.

His mom.

I know y'all have been talking about him a bit, but this should be everyone's topic.

On a side note, how bad has that trifecta from 2006's draft looked now? Of Leinart, Bush and Young - one appears on the verge of retirement, one can't beat a 37 year old for a starting job on the Cardinals, and one has been inconsistent at best. I gotta say I was wrong about Houston - they ended up with the right player (though they had no idea that they'd get Schaub). And Bush has been looking a bit better. But wow.

I've never heard of such a thing as Young's mom.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1512614' date='Sep 10 2008, 12.29']Okay, why are we not talking more about Vince Young? This is a guy who has his mom telling the press that he doesn't want to play football any more.

His mom.

I know y'all have been talking about him a bit, but this should be everyone's topic.

On a side note, how bad has that trifecta from 2006's draft looked now? Of Leinart, Bush and Young - one appears on the verge of retirement, one can't beat a 37 year old for a starting job on the Cardinals, and one has been inconsistent at best. I gotta say I was wrong about Houston - they ended up with the right player (though they had no idea that they'd get Schaub). And Bush has been looking a bit better. But wow.

I've never heard of such a thing as Young's mom.[/quote]

I have to think that even after recovering from this injury, he has to be just about done in Nashville. Is there any way possible that he can recover the respect of his teammates after this?

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1512614' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.29']Okay, why are we not talking more about Vince Young? This is a guy who has his mom telling the press that he doesn't want to play football any more.[/quote]

Ricky Williams.
Cedric Benson.
Vince Young.

Is there something in the water in Austin??????

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1512614' date='Sep 10 2008, 12.29']Okay, why are we not talking more about Vince Young? This is a guy who has his mom telling the press that he doesn't want to play football any more.[/quote]

I agree, Kal. Earlier this summer I heard that he had been contemplating retirement right after his rookie season. Obviously, Vince has some serious issues. I hope he can get them worked out, and I am not just saying that because I happen to be a Titans fan.

Even if Vince decides to pack it in, I believe the Titans are looking good this year. They have great defense - argueably the best defensive line in the NFL. They also have a solid offensive line and a good running back combination in Lendale White and Chris Johnson. I believe Kerry Collins is a better passer than Vince, and he certainly has more experience. Perhaps Vince's problems could help Tennessee advance further in the playoffs than they did last year.

Honestly, I believe that at this point if Kerry Collins was their starting QB they'd get to the playoffs this year. Their defense is phenomenal, and Collins has enough weapons, a good enough running game and is a decent enough player that that should be enough.

VY may win one game for them through his athleticism, but he'll lose 2 from bad turnovers and poor decision making, and probably otherwise poison the team with that quitter attitude.

Wednesday and we finally know what Brady's injury is. I was right you were wrong. Ha ha ha. :dunno:

So Mexal - suck it. :leaving:

[quote]The Globe's Shira Springer, citing NFL sources, reports today that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and torn medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee.

Medical tests on the knee, including an MRI performed Monday, indicated no damage to other knee ligaments and no torn cartilage. The typical course of action for such an injury is to wait 4-6 weeks for the MCL tear to heal, then reconstruct the ACL. Brady will likely undergo surgery in approximately one month and face 6-9 months of recovery and rehabilitation, barring any complications.[/quote]

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1513031' date='Sep 10 2008, 15.39']Wednesday and we finally know what Brady's injury is. I was right you were wrong. Ha ha ha. :dunno:

So Mexal - suck it. :leaving:[/quote]
I fail to understand how Mexal sucking Brady's knee is going to help matters. Care to elaborate?

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1513031' date='Sep 10 2008, 16.39']Wednesday and we finally know what Brady's injury is. I was right you were wrong. Ha ha ha. :dunno:

So Mexal - suck it. :leaving:[/quote]

I fail to see your point. You just quoted a article that says he has a torn ACL and MCL and is out for the season. I said he had a torn ACL and was out for the season. I think I'm missing something here.

Kalbear,

I think we'll find out a lot more about Bush this year. Houston looks good cause Williams is a beast but they still have no running game. Who knows what Schaub could have done with Bush and Johnson together. Or, who knows what Bush could do in a zone blocking scheme where speed and the cutback are keys.

My assertion always was that it was foolish to draft Williams with the #1 overall pick, not that it was foolish to draft Williams.

The Texans needed to do what the Chargers did when Eli was the man everyone wanted but they wanted Rivers. They should have drafted Bush and traded him to whoever got Williams. There was a market there. They could have paid Williams less, and got an extra pick or two out of the deal.

Just a quick moment to express some pride in Eddie Royal. Great great first game. Virginia Tech has had some no-so-savory guys making news in the NFL (or outside the NFL), from the Vick brothers to DeAngelo Hall(who just seems to be a jackass). Other guys like Lee Suggs and Kevin Jones haven't lived up to the hype. But Eddie Royal is as classy as they come, and it's great to see him have success right off the bat.

Archived