The NFL Thread

Young Wolf

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1527610' date='Sep 22 2008, 17.29']I'd have been more amazed if the same jackass had predicted that the Raiders would dominate the next week and almost win the week after that - then fire their coach.[/quote]

Sadly I was on a call with my buddy in SoCal at the time and we were gloating about how we were going to be 2-1 and then the defense collapsed. Thank you Rob Ryan.

And I dont attempt to understand Al Davis, Ive resigned myself to accepting the Raiders will suck until Buffy comes to Oakland and stakes him.

YW

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3603003"]Shockey is out 3-6 weeks (sports hernia)[/url] and [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3602560"]the Browns are increasing Brady Quinn's reps in practice.[/url]

Never was a huge fan of Derek Anderson, so I'd like to see the change made. He has been beyond putrid.

Cleveland made such a huge error in not trading Anderson last year. They could have likely gotten a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him if they had traded before the draft. As it stands they'll be lucky to get a 7th. And yes, he's pretty much done. He wasn't that accurate before, and he's got a lot more film for tendencies now.

That being said, I'd stick with him until he gets really, really bad. No reason to rush Quinn in now in a lost season. Let him get some practice in, hopefully make Anderson look decent enough to trade him next year, and start Quinn in 2009 with a bit of polish on him.

Brandon Marshall....Holy chit, the dude is a beast. He is the NEW TO. :stunned:

Speaking of the old one, is he actually maturing? only two measly cathes on prime time yet he was still hustling, makiing huge down field blocks and a big tackle after Romo's bonehead int. right now, Tony's gunslinging in the redzone is my biggest concern. it can be such an asset (years of having statue QB's, ugh) but he has to fight that impule to make that "big play" and settle for the next play.

But you know, right now I;ll take that quibble as a Cowboys fan. He makes plays. He has Jason Garrett as his OC and Brad Johnson as his backup to mentor him. He's still learning. Same thing with the "well, they haven't won a playoff game in 10 years" as a team weakness foing into a GAME NOW. I saw Keyhawn saying that proves that they werent tough, if you hit them in the mouth they will fold.

i will take those "weaknesses" anyday over not being able to run the ball, or rush the passer or have a LT who can protect the blindside.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1527709' date='Sep 22 2008, 16.08']Speaking of the old one, is he actually maturing? only two measly cathes on prime time yet he was still hustling, makiing huge down field blocks and a big tackle after Romo's bonehead int.[/quote]

Are you confusing him with Randy Moss?

At least as far as his SF years, this was never an issue. It was his fucking mouth that was the problem, not his work ethic. Maybe he dogged it a bit when he was demanding to be traded, maybe he did it in Philly under the same circumstance, but as far as I know as long as he's happy in Dallas, he'll play hard.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1527712' date='Sep 22 2008, 18.14']Are you confusing him with Randy Moss?

At least as far as his SF years, this was never an issue. It was his fucking mouth that was the problem, not his work ethic. Maybe he dogged it a bit when he was demanding to be traded, maybe he did it in Philly under the same circumstance, but as far as I know as long as he's happy in Dallas, he'll play hard.[/quote]

yes and no shots on the sideline of him yelling on the sidelines to get the ball. or in the huddle. that was my point which i might not have made. though I SHOULD knock on wood...if the media pounds him hard enough during the week he might be honest and just say "yeah, i want the ball more" and that will make headlines as a controversy. tact isn't in his programming :P

make no mistake, he is the most indispensable player on the team. he demands double teams. he opens up everything...the running game, the single coverage for Witten.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1527709' date='Sep 22 2008, 16.08']Brandon Marshall....Holy chit, the dude is a beast. He is the NEW TO. :stunned:

Speaking of the old one, is he actually maturing? only two measly cathes on prime time yet he was still hustling, makiing huge down field blocks and a big tackle after Romo's bonehead int. right now, Tony's gunslinging in the redzone is my biggest concern. it can be such an asset (years of having statue QB's, ugh) but he has to fight that impule to make that "big play" and settle for the next play.[/quote]

i don't think he's really maturing. He's always been a hard worker on the field, and hasn't really ever been known to take plays off as far as i know. At least not when things are going well.

TO has always been a spectacular player who does just about everything he can to help his team while he's on the field. The problem is his big ass mouth has always distracted from his play during the game, as Lord O' Bones pointed out.

As for Anderson, yeah, the guy got paid and now it just doesn't matter that much. Add into the equation that teams have had plenty of time to study him and figure him out, and he's just not the big surprise he was a year ago. What's surprising isn't his lack of play but how the whole team has just been ... blah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Browns had a pretty darn good defense last year. Where did they go?

Kal,

[quote]There's still hope here and there, but not a lot. Our defense is simply not at the point where it can singlehandedly win games like it did against Arizona. It needs some help on offense. And it just isn't there.[/quote]

It's not that Chicago has no offense, its that when the offense finally comes alive, the defense is dead. When the defense is at its best preventing scores and forcing turnovers, the offense sputters and can't take advantage.

On the bright side, Orton did something that Grossman never could have yesterday. He threw two picks, but instead of letting it go to his head and sucking the rest of the game, he shook it off, went out there and threw two touchdowns to not just get his team back in the game but to take the lead. But then the defense was nowhere to be found.

Already revved up for Dallas week. Excited the Skins are at least confident goig in. This is a measuring stick game: see how far the Zornskins have grown.

What frustrates me is that I go to bed last night, everything's chipper, wake up this morning and hear that Jason Taylor has a deep shin bruise (he played the whole game but blood was pooling in his leg) that'll keep him out at least a week. To me, Tony Romo was the reason the Skins got him. Would've rather him missed the Cardinals game and be back for Dallas week, but ah well. Least Springs is around to deal with TO. He completely shut down Anquan Boldin (Boldin's TD came with Smoot on him) and his presence allows the Skins to mix in heavy blitzes..which they'll probably need, because without Taylor I don't know how they get pressure with 4 guys.

The guy that concerns me is MB III. Skins have done well on him in the past, but seeing him yesterday, the guy's a beast. You want to focus the whole defense to stopping him but you can't.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1527742' date='Sep 22 2008, 19.43']make no mistake, he is the most indispensable player on the team. he demands double teams. he opens up everything...the running game, the single coverage for Witten.[/quote]

He is. Barber and Witten are good but his presence makes them great.

[quote]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Browns had a pretty darn good defense last year. Where did they go?[/quote]

Browns were a bottom 10 defense last year. Maybe bottom 5. Remember the 51-45 game against the Bengals? They got Shaun Rogers to plug their porous run defense, but they gave up their best CB in the process which is like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1527748' date='Sep 22 2008, 16.48'][b]As for Anderson, yeah, the guy got paid and now it just doesn't matter that much. Add into the equation that teams have had plenty of time to study him and figure him out, and he's just not the big surprise he was a year ago. What's surprising isn't his lack of play but how the whole team has just been ... blah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Browns had a pretty darn good defense last year. Where did they go?[/b][/quote]

The Browns defense last year was very bad, the offense just had to outscore the team they were playing against and the defense has not gotten better this year. Anderson has not looked that good this year, but the Browns have a lot of other problems from injuries to half of the WRs, their big off season signing was for Donte Stallworth, he was to be the other deep threat with Braylon Edwards, Stalworth got hurt in warm ups before game one.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1527782' date='Sep 22 2008, 20.22']He is. Barber and Witten are good but his presence makes them great.[/quote]

Perhaps--just perhaps--the 'Skins can limit Owens to a 3-TD day. It would at least be an improvement over what happened the last time Washington played in Dallas.

[quote name='Prince Lotor' post='1527795' date='Sep 22 2008, 20.30']Perhaps--just perhaps--the 'Skins can limit Owens to a 3-TD day. It would at least be an improvement over what happened the last time Washington played in Dallas.[/quote]

Ugh, yeah. Remember that game well. Was right after Taylor got injured and Doughty came in, but then he injured his neck from the whiplash he suffered from watching TO streak by him for TD after TD.

The flip side of it is despite TO's 4 TDs,[i] we almost won. [/i] Skins had 400 yards of offense and Campbell had a banner game. A minute to go, Skins were inside the Dallas 20, driving for a game winning score when Newman baited Campbell into a pick. Was the first of a string of those[i] so close[/i] games the Skins had against good teams last year.

ETA: Alright, so I looked it up, but I remember that pick all too well.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1527728' date='Sep 22 2008, 19.28']I got a lot of "credit" last thread for accurately "predicting" the demise of the Pats if they ever had to rely on their back up QB... seriously, please place a hungry swarm of flesh eating bacteria at me... nothing could be this painful...[/quote]

Hey to be fair I also accurately quoted who predicted Mayo as DROY, and it wasnt you.

YW

Wow The Raiders are breaking new ground everyday, [url="http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10533705?nclick_check=1"]this story[/url] comes from the presser yesterday after Kiffin said that he has not been fired yet, then one of their front office people tries to pick a fight with a reporter. I used to halfway like this team, and still believe that [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiVYFueNvQ"]Autumn Wind[/url] is one of the best NFL films videos ever; however, this franchises has gone off the deep end big time.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1528463' date='Sep 23 2008, 12.37']Fixed it, should work now. The video does not have any sound, have no idea why.[/quote]

Direct link to the video didnt work for me, so I just backspaced until the last word was raiders/ and then click the link from there.

Also it did have sound if you do it the way I did.

Regarding the video and scene...Herrera is clearly attempting to cover someone's ass. The reporter stood his ground and said,"If you dont like it sue me." And then other reporters on the scene said they got the same paper from a Raiders exec.

Best part of the exchange is when the reporter asked Herrera if he was going to hit him and Herrera said he'd love nothing better and the reporter responded,"Id love to own a piece of this franchise." :lol:

Archived