Hotels for LA Worldcon

Padraig

Don't quote me on this but iirc, you pay a certain amount to vote for a site during the convention. If the site you vote for wins then they consider your vote amount as a supporting membership to the con. Then all you have to do is upgrade to an attending membership when you decide to go to the con.

Makes sense. Doesn't make my budget happy however.

Actually, everything I've read says that either a supporting or an attending membership in the con gives you the right to vote both for the Hogos and for the site selection. At least thats how I read the LACon website as well as other information I've found.

Note that Interaction members also get to vote for the 08 site selection, even if they're not LA members. This is due to the rule change which meant that there wasn't a site selection vote in Glasgow (lead-in time was changed from 3 years to 2, hence 07 was chosen in 04 and 08 in 06)

Note that Interaction members also get to vote for the 08 site selection, even if they're not LA members. This is due to the rule change which meant that there wasn't a site selection vote in Glasgow (lead-in time was changed from 3 years to 2, hence 07 was chosen in 04 and 08 in 06)

Hooray for Eurocommies! Vote Chicago! You know you want to! :D

Well...attending Glasgow or LA gives you the right to vote on the 08 bids but you still have to pay to vote.

An advance membership fee is collected with each vote; this money will be given to the winning bid, and each voter gets at least a supporting membership in that convention.

So it seems that even if your choice loses, you will still get a supporting membership for the WC. Although to be honest, I thought previously that it worked as Mich described.

One can convert a supporting membership to an attending membership by paying more money (probably pretty close to the attending membership fee less initial the bid fee).

Well...attending Glasgow or LA gives you the right to vote on the 08 bids but you still have to pay to vote.

So it seems that even if your choice loses, you will still get a supporting membership for the WC. Although to be honest, I thought previously that it worked as Mich described.

One can convert a supporting membership to an attending membership by paying more money (probably pretty close to the attending membership fee less initial the bid fee).

For all practical purposes, the voting fee is the price of a supporting membership at the time of voting. The conversion cost is the difference between the voting fee and the current attending membership fee. The latter increases as the time to the convention decreases. So it generally makes fiscal sense to convert as soon as possible after the voting's over. [And remember, too: if you convert early, and then can't go, you can probably sell your membership for more than it cost you (but still less than it would cost from the con)!]

There are, however, adjustments to this. If you were a pre-supporter of the winning convention's bid, you may get to convert your supporting membership to attending at a lower rate. Many worldcon bids now have different levels of pre-supporting membership; the more expensive levels can get you a free conversion from supporting to attending membership and, sometimes, extra goodies at the worldcon itself -- better seating at the Hugos, for instance, or admission to a private party.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little heads up for people - If you did as I did and booked up the hilton in LA before you had actually booked, with the intention of changing the dates at a later time, they will not let you keep the $99 room rate when you change. I had to pay the new rate of $109 and I don't doubt that it will go up again, so get your changes in asap.

That sucks. So basicly you are saying that if you booked for 6 nights and wanted to change it to 5 nights, you effectively have to rebook again for the 5 nights at the higher rate?

I should have known the rate sounded too cheap compared to normal years to not come without catches.

Yes people, the web site will not let you put in the convention code when changing dates, so you will have to phone the Anaheim Hilton direct - (001) 714-750-4321 or 1-800-HILTONS (445-8667).

You will have to pay the new rates of $109 (for quiet rooms) and $119 (for Lanai/party floor rooms).

It is entirely possible that these rates will go up again, so book/ammend now!!

My boss hasn't come in today, but he has to be in tomorrow. As soon as I've got permission, I'll definitely take the room, mormont.

What days will you be there mormont?

I'm leaving on the tuesday and I'll arrive either the tuesday or wednesday before.

Anyone care to share a room with me? I'll chip in of course. The floor is good enough for me. :P

Worse comes to worse, you can bunk in my room Zollo. I have one place booked and i'm involved in another room...so definitely some room somewhere. :)

Archived