December 2008 reads

Vrana

Just finished [i]Beyond the Shadows[/i] by Brent Weeks. It was a nice end to a nice series. It did seem to lose focus through the middle of the book, but came together well in the end. [b]The Night Angel Trilogy[/b] brings nothing new to the table and has its share of problems, but it is still a fun and engrossing read.

Now starting [i]The Engine's Child[/i] by Holly Phillips.

I am ahhhh.....[i]reading[/i] my copy of Erotic Fantasy Art at the moment. It is all I hoped it would be.

Alas, there are no facsimiles of [i]zaftig[/i] women or half naked men, so I cannot recommend it to a wider clientele. However the tastefully done images are quite pleasing to me and it is interesting to note the comments of the artists that are printed alongside.

This is not something I typically do, but I really want to pimp the book I'm [i]in the middle[/i] of right now. It's the debut book by Rob Rogers: [u]Devil's Cape[/u].

I think it's partly that I loved super hero comics growing up, but this book has a ton of awesomeness - great world-building, wonderful character development, realistic unpredictability, and very cool superheroes/villains. It also has a wonderful atmosphere, kind of Charlie Huston does superheroes (I [i]really[/i] need to read his Moonknight graphic novels).

REG

I have Devil's Cape myself but not yet read. This does make me look forward to it even more.

Speaking of Huston, I just found on Amazon UK that apparently his 5th ( and final I thought) Joe Pitt book comes out in December in the UK.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-Pitt-v-Novel/dp/1841496820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230717965&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-Pitt-v-Novel/d...7965&sr=1-1[/url]

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1634541' date='Dec 31 2008, 03.27']I'm reading Bertrand de Bar-Sur-Aube's [i]The Song of Girart of Vienne[/i]. I wonder how many here have heard of this, much less read it.[/quote]
Just curious. How do you like it?
it's been a while since I last read a chanson de geste.

Yesterday I finished the latest Wild Cards book, [i][b]Busted Flushed[/b][/i]. At the end of [i]Inside Straight[/i], several aces from the reality tv show joined a new group of aces under the aegis of the UN. Busted Flush showed them dealing with several crisis's, a few of them that turned ugly including a showdown over oil. Nothing major happened but there was quite a bit of development for several of the characters. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

The first book of the new year will be [i][b]The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox[/b][/i], an omnibus of three books by Brian Hughart.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1634617' date='Dec 30 2008, 22.53']This is not something I typically do, but I really want to pimp the book I'm [i]in the middle[/i] of right now. It's the debut book by Rob Rogers: [u]Devil's Cape[/u].[/quote]
I'll be sure to check that out!

[quote name='automne' post='1634883' date='Dec 31 2008, 09.25']Just curious. How do you like it?
it's been a while since I last read a chanson de geste.[/quote]

I finished it last night (it was only 200 pages, much shorter than the Orlando Italian epics) and I thought while it was slightly below [i]The Song of Roland[/i] in storytelling quality, it was exactly the sort of book I wanted to read. I'm planning a very ambitious reading project for 2009: A reading of material from Einhard through at least the 17th century that deals with Roland/Orlando and how his character/story evolved. Sur-Aube's chanson revealed some interesting information on how Roland and Oliver developed their friendship; little to nothing was said of this in Pulci, Boiardo, or Ariosto's poems, if memory serves; they were just really close friends in those Italian works.

Just read [i]Dime Store Magic[/i] by Kelley Armstrong.

Verdict: Don't bother buying it. Don't bother reading it either unless its free and you don't have anything else to read.

Pro: The heroine doesn't fall for the "bad boy"

Cons: The bad half-demon is superpowered but cannot directly fight our severely underpowered heroes because the supernatural community likes to keep a low profile.

Fair enough, I mean, when I read that, I totally bought it until...

said half-demon then proceed to publicly raise all kinds of hell and even commit blatant murder.

Of course, she never murders who she is working against, she murders [i]other[/i] people only. Yeah, 'cause you know, if she had a clue and murdered the narrator, there wouldn't be a book. P.S. the evil enemy had previously murdered the narrator's mother.

"Evil overlord"-type flaws, anyone? Lookee, I can murder and the girl was right there in front of me but do I kill her even though there is nothing stopping me? Nope, I kill the random minor characters instead. It's in the script.

*rolls eyes*

After a stretch of popular science books, I've decided to get back on track on regular fictional books. I figured now is as good a time as any to catch up on classics, so I'm currently reading [b]Love in the Time of Cholera[/b]. I'm about fifth of the way through, pretty good so far.

I finished [i]Victory of Eagles [/i]by Naomi Novik. I really liked the first three as it seemed original and fresh, and the characters were "growing". This one was all right, but I wasn't as engaged into the story as I was in the past. Like other bloggers, I wonder where the next story goes and if the author can keep the originality of the series or if she unnecessarily drags it out.
Next is [i]The Jason Voyage [/i]by Tim Severin and then the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

Not much reading going on while on break visiting family. On the flight, I read [b]Dreams Underfoot[/b], Charles de Lint's short story collection. I hadn't liked the de Lint book I read a few years ago, but this collection is overall pretty solid. I'll probably give another of his novels a try in the next month.

Also, [b]Shoots, Eats and Leaves[/b] and [b]The Tales of Beedle the Bard[/b], courtesy of raiding my sister's bookshelf. Both pretty cute in their own ways and worth the look.

I will be starting [b]Thunderer[/b] on the flight back tomorrow; I picked it up while after Xmas shopping and am expecting big things :)

I finished Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, that book is [i]awesome[/i]. Takeshi Kovacs (pronounced Kova[i]ch[/i], fool!) is a total bad ass, and the world is amazing. People's consciousness is stored in a computer chip in their skull, and if the body dies, the chip is inserted into a new body, a "sleeve". Thus, death has lost it's meaning, and is referred to as "biological damage". And the idea of Martians as a race that became extinct millions of years ago is sick, I totally wanted to know more about them.

Now I'm starting the sequel, Broken Angels, and on the back it says there will be a lot about the Martians. Yay!

I'm also reading The Fall of the Roman Empire, A History of Civilizations, and The Encyclopedia of World Mythology, all Christmas presents. I have three other sci-fi novels that my aunt's fiance lent to me on the waiting list, and am reading The Catcher in the Rye for school. I don't think I have ever been this bogged down, book-wise. It feels good having something new to read, instead of rereading ASOIAF over and over...

[b][i]Non-Stop[/i][/b] by Brian W. Aldiss. About time I got round to this much-acclaimed classic.

Interesting book with very fresh writing considering it was published just over fifty years ago.

Archived