BwB meet-up in York: 29th May weekend

Padraig

Right, I've now read the thread and I'm definitely up for races and ghost walk. I'll take care of my own accomodation, somewhere central to York. I'm coming up Thursday lunchtime and going back Monday, but I'm probably going to use any time before the BwB descends on mass to visit a few old friends / beloved places, and ditto Monday if everyone's gone.

Can't wait! Already planning outfits for the races - just how big does my hat have to be?

Oh, and massive kudos to Sean for organising so much. When we finally get a BwB commune, Seany 4 President!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to have to pull out - car troubles are sucking up a lot of money right now.

Aww :(

Ditch the car - all my friends who have cars are broke. Trains FTW :P

I've updated Pod's attendance list:

Attendees

Isis Fri-Sun

Ten Fri-Sun

Chal Fri-Sun

Sean Fri-Sun

William Fri-Mon

Slick Fri-Mon

Dunhallym Fri-Mon

Padraig Fri-Mon

Sophie Fri-Mon

Iceman Fri-Mon

Eloisa Fri-Mon

Mentat Fri-Mon

Red Sun Fri-Mon

SerMountainGoat Fri-Mon

Alytha Fri-Mon

Luzi Fri-Mon

Tomfoster Thur-Mon

Ratty - throughout

Maybe

Ser Mel

Derfel Fri-Sun

Needle/Zak Sat-Sun

Any further updates?

ETA: Ratty

ETS: Zollo

N.B. In actuality we discovered no Iceman, alas, and none of the maybes, but we got three extra bonus people instead: daj and GoN and Caress of Cersei.

Current plans (spearheaded by Sean):

Friday 29th - people start arriving - Ghost walk meeting at 7.30pm outside the Jorvik Viking Centre. Costs £4, or £2 for students. However we could do a group booking (reduces it to £3 each), or ask for a private tour (£50 minimum) - this might be worth asking about given there are approx 16 of us.

Is there anyone arriving on Friday apart from Red Sun who won't be on the Ghost Walk?

Saturday 30th - Day at the Races*, followed by party in the Mason's Arms in the evening.

* for people who don't fancy the races there will be an alternative expedition - maybe a visit to the Yorvik Viking Centre

Sunday 31st - people start leaving - for those of us still remaining, here's some ideas: walk around historic York, followed by evening revelry at the Riverside flat - anyone who is still around on Sunday evening is invited for dinner/drinks (be warned you may be coaxed into playing live mafia).

Monday 1st June - people are leaving at various times - probably a good time for wandering around shopping and stuff

Edited Sean's links in

RACE DAY

As our weather is anything but predictable, I'm going to go ahead and pre-book the £16 tickets (for the Grandstand and Paddock area) for myself and Chal, which gives us access to the £5 area as well.

Here's more info on the race meet:

York Race Meet

The Race course web site has been updated and is now a whole heap more user friendly and informative.

RACE DAY

As our weather is anything but predictable, I'm going to go ahead and pre-book the £16 tickets (for the Grandstand and Paddock area) for myself and Chal, which gives us access to the £5 area as well.

Here's more info on the race meet:

York Race Meet

The Race course web site has been updated and is now a whole heap more user friendly and informative.

Good plan! Think I'll join you :)

I'd like to go on the ghost walk, I hope I'll arrive on time. I might just have to ditch my stuff at the apartment and leave again immediately :)

I'll have to see about the races, I might prefer the alternative there ;)

I'll have to see about the races, I might prefer the alternative there ;)

The alternative brings me in a serious conflict. I have never been to races or to Viking museums, and this semester, I have a partly viking themed reading class.

Just so your aware, as I live in York I will probably be able to get to one or two of these events, but not sure what yet. Just realised that despite posting on this thread i hadn;t said anything about myself appearing.

I've just discovered that it's a friend's birthday party that Saturday... in Sheffield, which is an hour away from York on the train. There is therefore a distinct possibility I may head over there for a few hours and miss part of the pub...

Are we all meeting at the Ghost Walk on Friday?

If people want to meet a little earlier The Golden Fleece is only a couple of minutes walk from the ghost walk meeting point.

Speaking of the ghost walk, there's a money off voucher on the web site - Linky

See y'all soon!!

Good suggestion - let's use the pub as a rendezvous. :)

You need a colour printer, allegedly, to print the money-off voucher. I haven't pressed the button since I only have a B&W one. How much money off do you get? I didn't do anything about a group booking because I don't know how many people read the thread.

Ratty - I've added you to the attendees list so you're not forgotten ;)

Good suggestion - let's use the pub as a rendezvous. :)

Cool, I'll probably be there from about 6.

You need a colour printer, allegedly, to print the money-off voucher. I haven't pressed the button since I only have a B&W one. How much money off do you get? I didn't do anything about a group booking because I don't know how many people read the thread.

It's for two people and it gives 50p off, each. It may not be the biggest saving in the world but every penny counts. ;)

Ratty - I've added you to the attendees list so you're not forgotten ;)

Sorry Ratty, it will be good to meet you!! :)

The golden fleece, ick whats with all the old man pubs :(

What are the plans for people meeting on the saturday night again. I will probably only be able to get to one of these nights and would like to see the alternative. After the races this is.

Cool, I'll probably be there from about 6.

I get into York about half two - by the time I've found the hostel and got back into town I'll probably be there around the same time :)

Archived