Heroes

superkick

The Claire actress isn`t bad, she`s a seasoned pro now at the `Say a word or part of a small sentance then audible breath-through-mouth then finishing the sentance, then another breath`. It`s basically how all the actors are on this show. the best being the dude who is Peter.

Epic fail if they just killed Daphne like that. Everyone seems to be on Valium in response to it, so .. where's the narrative tension? I don't get it.

This was a pretty mediocre episode. The ideas in general are fine, although one wonders why Nathan isn't just kicking Hunter to the curb and saying he needs a sane guy leading the op rather than the Angolian Butcher. But ... the execution is just not living up to the potential (but then, this is often par for the course for HEroes). A let down from the previous episode, I thought.

The clock can't turn fast enough for Brian K. Vaughn to show up.

Also? This episode was incredibly short.

[quote name='Ran' post='1681218' date='Feb 10 2009, 07.45']Epic fail if they just killed Daphne like that. Everyone seems to be on Valium in response to it, so .. where's the narrative tension? I don't get it.

This was a pretty mediocre episode. The ideas in general are fine, although one wonders why Nathan isn't just kicking Hunter to the curb and saying he needs a sane guy leading the op rather than the Angolian Butcher. But ... the execution is just not living up to the potential (but then, this is often par for the course for HEroes). A let down from the previous episode, I thought.[/quote]
I hope they did kill Daphne. Not that I don't like her, but maybe that way we'll finally get to see Parkman living up to his potential.

And I thought that this episode was much better than last week. Peter has stopped acting like a pansy, we got to see Parkman do something useful with his power, lots of tension in Nathan's crew. There were still a few problems though: Parkman's little "I gotta draw!" trance was just stupid, Claire being... well, Claire, and then the fact that every one of the cast came out of a rather nasty plane crash completely unharmed. I can understand Claire, obviously, I can even forgive all of the people who were strapped into their chairs. But Peter and Mohinder both should have died. And getting rid of them likely would have done much to raise the overall qaulity of the show (I'll give Peter a pass for now, since they seem to be writing him a little better, but Mohinder is still useless).

eh mohinder has super stregnth so prob unlikely he would die..

anyways this is why they skipped the plane crashing and them getting out because it didnt really makes sense, so they just showed them already running and the plane having crashed. makes it much easier than explaining thingds

Being heroes daphne prob isnt dead. then again as was pointed out she wasnt in the first seasn and only those characters are invinicble.

also just great, hiro finding a magical way to get his powers back to become the ultimate plot hole creator.

Hopefully hiro will get his powers back, peter will touch him, wind up in the future, touch someone else, and we will never have to hear from him again. maybe he can bring claire along.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1680856' date='Feb 9 2009, 22.45']Or burn her to death? I see potential for Sylar's dark apprentice.[/quote]

Soon as I heard the name "Luke" I knew Sylar would be trying to turn this young Padowan to the Darkside...though I'm a little disturbed by Mr. Spock being involved in a Star Wars riff... :P

And while I was continually disappointed in the whole HRG/Claire stuff, the rest seems to be showing much promise. I kinda like that they're showing that as determined as Nathan is, they want us to believe that he does believe in this mission, but there's that little chink in his armor that he knows he's in over his head and didn't want things to go the way that they have...I hope they don't screw up his final revelation and ultimate death...'cuz he's a gonna die...call it a hunch...

Just saw it and I have to say I really enjoyed that. Now I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode instead of preparing for cringe attacks during the viewing. Seems much focused, much darker. For the first time they've actually managed to portray Nathan properly so that he makes sense as a character - just when they needed him to be, too. The Mohinder/Hiro/Peter tagteam seemed a bit dodgy at first, but now they've set Parkman up for a revenge trip that will hopefully be improved. Sylar was, once more, awesome. I'll agree that the Claire plotline is a little repetitive (back in Costa Verde again?), but the tension that it caused in Nathan's camp was well done, so I don't mind particularly.

On the whole, I was entertained, so I'm giving this a thumbs up.

Sir Thursday

[quote name='Ran' post='1672385' date='Feb 3 2009, 13.22']What was he doing that was evil or, indeed, crazy prior to his injecting himself with the formula at the start of the third season? I can't recall anything at all. All of his worst behavior comes after the injection of the flawed formula. Before that, he was hopelessly naive, but he always came through -- refusing to inject Monica, helping to rescue Molly, getting Noah out of a no-win situation with Bob, and so on.[/quote]
How about having the desire to inject himself and get super powers at all? It came out of nowhere at the start of the third season so the writers had an excuse to start a bad storyline. Much like how they, unnecessarily, retconned a connection between Sylar and Kristen Bell so they could make their awful "romantic" scenes easier to write among other garbage that littered both the 2nd and 3rd volumes.

I haven't seen the second episode but the first was passable I guess with no indication it will even approach the awesomeness of the first season. Still, compared to Galactica and Fringe, among others, passable just isn't good enough for Sci-Fi on TV as far as I'm concerned. Hell even the rapidly improved, if still poorly named, Sarah Conner Chronicles easily surpasses it.

I don't know, wanting superpowers isn't evil in and of itself, and I'm not even sure if it's crazy. If you exist in a setting where powered people is a fact, and you believe you are capable of figuring out how to safely give yourself powers ... why not, really?

It was rather dumb for him to use himself as a guinea pig, of course.

I'm not saying the feeling isn't unwarranted in general, but the fact that it came out of nowhere was noticeably stupid. There wasn't, as far as I can remember, a single scene or even line that even hinted that Mohinder had any desire to gain powers or was even jealous of those with powers.

Of course that's hardly the only bad thing the writers did but that's neither here nor there at this point. Heroes has to be near perfect to get anywhere close to its old numbers and this new volume doesn't look promising.

[quote name='superkick' post='1681290' date='Feb 10 2009, 09.45']eh mohinder has super stregnth so prob unlikely he would die..[/quote]
I'm not yet convinced that super strength = invinsible. I guess we shouldn't put it past them though.

[quote name='superkick' post='1681290' date='Feb 10 2009, 09.45']anyways this is why they skipped the plane crashing and them getting out because it didnt really makes sense, so they just showed them already running and the plane having crashed. makes it much easier than explaining thingds[/quote]
Exactly right. It doesn't make sense. They knew that it doesn't make sense. And yet they went with it anyway. I'm not saying they necessarily should have killed of a few cast members (although it would have been more believable if they had), but at least have them banged up a little. Some cuts and bruises, maybe a broken limb or two.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1681295' date='Feb 10 2009, 09.49']And while I was continually disappointed in the whole HRG/Claire stuff, the rest seems to be showing much promise. I kinda like that they're showing that as determined as Nathan is, they want us to believe that he does believe in this mission, but there's that little chink in his armor that he knows he's in over his head and didn't want things to go the way that they have...I hope they don't screw up his final revelation and ultimate death...'cuz he's a gonna die...call it a hunch...[/quote]
Yes, and it'll be Sylar that does it. Again. He's the only character with the resolve to do what's necessary (ok, there's HRG, but I don't see him taking out Nathan).

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1681692' date='Feb 10 2009, 13.45']Exactly right. It doesn't make sense. They knew that it doesn't make sense. And yet they went with it anyway. I'm not saying they necessarily should have killed of a few cast members (although it would have been more believable if they had), but at least have them banged up a little. Some cuts and bruises, maybe a broken limb or two.[/quote]

I can accept that the missing hurts and damage that the heroes should have suffered from the crash was a mistake in make up. We should have at least seen some bodyt bags or something more fomr the other bodies that were locked up with the cast members. That being said, I'm okay with not seeing the crash. The plane went down. We knew it had to. We knew the heroes had to get away. Move things along. That was the right move.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1681692' date='Feb 10 2009, 13.45']Yes, and it'll be Sylar that does it. Again. He's the only character with the resolve to do what's necessary (ok, there's HRG, but I don't see him taking out Nathan).[/quote]

Nope. I'm betting he does it himself. Possibly while trying to save the day, a la season 1 when he lifted Peter into the stratosphere, but more than likely it will be done in such a manner to take out the Zeljko Ivanek's hunter character...

i'm liking the fact that i have viscious sylar back but that's about it so far. there were too many times in this ep. where regular humans just grab heroes and lead them forcefully away or something to that effect. doesn't anyone know how to use their powers???

it's like the touch or proximity of an enemy renders them morons.

[quote name='Ser Aardvark' post='1681722' date='Feb 10 2009, 14.03']That's great news actually. When is this supposed to happen?[/quote]

Heh, well it might be good news if they gave him carte blanche as show runner or something... better yet, give said powers to Warren Ellis :P

But still, trading in Lost for Heroes would be such a step backwards for anyone...

[quote name='Ran' post='1681723' date='Feb 10 2009, 14.03']Err, not BKV! Got comics on the brain today. I meant Bryan Fuller. :)[/quote]

Now I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed :P

Archived