Dollhouse

Guest Ro_

[quote name='ldygrffn' post='1723279' date='Mar 17 2009, 23.39']but this can be explained by her being [i]the Slayer[/i], so you could totally mark up Willow and leave Buffy pretty much pristine.

looks like Echo and Ballard are already coming face to face in the next ep. seems a little soon for me, i worry about where they can go with the premise if he is already close enough to the dollhouse to find a doll, what happens after she goes rogue?[/quote]

On the first point, I disagree, because it's a matter of the degree.

I've been missing the previews due to catching it on Hulu the next night after being out on Friday. However, two points on the meeting.
1. Someone, presumably Alpha, is giving Ballard hints specifically regarding Echo. Ballard knows that this one girl is a doll, and he even knows what she looks like. He doesn't know any of the others at all, barring Victor who he doesn't know is a doll.
2. The Dollhouse seems to generally operate relatively near its HQ, at least for the purposes of the engagements shown during episodes. This being more a matter of shooting convenience than a measure of the Dollhouse's resources, I think; easier to keep Echo in the same city and not have viewers wondering why NYC, London, Chicago, and Rio all look like they're in California. Ballard is, apparently, located in the same city, which means that even without Alpha's hints, a chance meeting (adjusted for TV definition of chance) is almost plausible.

On one hand, Echo could composite and go rogue, presumably joining up with Alpha. On the other hand, the Dollhouse could be hoping she composites so they can have her hunt him down on their behalf (having taken some effort to avoid her flipping out on them?) and she could become a complicit member of the Dollhouse, escalated to some sort of trouble-shooter. Or we could all get Joss'd.

Seems like one predictable route they could go is to have Ballard get dolled at some point, either temporarily or permanently. Ballard seems like he actually fits part of the profile of their recruits. No family, single, not many/any friends, and at a dead end in his job. On the other hand he doesn't seem like the type that would give in, so I don't think he would do it voluntarily. Seems that they could even make this a temporary state since they seem to have the ability to store personas and memories, unless they are destroyed through the process of making blanks. I think they would have to do this well for me to like it though.

[quote name='The Knott' post='1723808' date='Mar 18 2009, 10.33']Seems like one predictable route they could go is to have Ballard get dolled at some point, either temporarily or permanently. Ballard seems like he actually fits part of the profile of their recruits. No family, single, not many/any friends, and at a dead end in his job. On the other hand he doesn't seem like the type that would give in, so I don't think he would do it voluntarily. Seems that they could even make this a temporary state since they seem to have the ability to store personas and memories, unless they are destroyed through the process of making blanks. I think they would have to do this well for me to like it though.[/quote]

Then the character is gone and they need some kind of antagonist besides Alpha to the Dollhouse. I can't see that happening anytime soon.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1723813' date='Mar 18 2009, 10.39']Then the character is gone and they need some kind of antagonist besides Alpha to the Dollhouse. I can't see that happening anytime soon.[/quote]

Agreed. Didn't mean to imply that this was something that would happen soon. I would see it more as an end of the season cliffhanger, or part of the conflict of another season (if the show lasts that long). And making it temporary makes him rescuable so they could still bring him back.

[quote name='Bach' post='1720459' date='Mar 15 2009, 21.59']next week's preview looks good.[/quote]

Indeed it does:

[url="http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b105027_dollhouse_about_get_damn_good.html"]http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_..._damn_good.html[/url]

[url="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/03/joss-whedon.html"]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracke...oss-whedon.html[/url]

I was disappointed by the first five episodes, but I'm optimistic.

[quote name='Max the Mostly Mediocre' post='1725131' date='Mar 19 2009, 03.25']Am I the only one who refuses to watch previews on the grounds that they partially spoil and thereby weaken the upcoming episodes?[/quote]

Nope, I do the same. Fuck spoilers of all forms.

Episode 6, episode 7, can Dushku count? The episode was clearly written by Joss Whedon but what a bunch of lame fight scenes. I was actually relieved every time the show went back to the Dollhouse.

So. {Deep breath} Message to Ballard by Whatershername delived by secret though mental implants because Topher left the room {or he did it himself, [b]dum dum dum[/b]} and because through some [b]other[/b] intricate plan Echo was seperated from her Handler and because no one bother to moniter her with audio in place of Boyd ... or because the whole thing was a set up to make Ballard even more paranoid than before. {whew}

Should I care? If the show doesn't give a damn, why should I? Still, I find it amusing at times so there's that but I don't know. So far the only stuff I am in favor of concerning the main characters is when Echo or Ballard get punched around, except when they fight each other. Take them both out, make the show about Victor and Sierra and then you got something.

Who else immediately thought YAY FAITH!!! when Topher said "deadly and gorgeous". Other than seeing Eliza being a Faith type character again the rest of it was a little blah. Topher wandering away from his computer, the neighbour, Victor *shrugs* most of those things were already blatantly obvious. Ballard... makes me wonder how long they have been neighbours. If I was him, investigating the dollhouse and knowing what they can do I would be completely paranoid talking to anyone I hadn't known for at least ten years.

They don't do audio monitoring I thought. They just tracked the dolls' vitals for signs of anything going wrong. It's even been mentioned that the dollhouse isn't aware of what the doll is being used for other than requested skills to ensure their clients privacy.

I don't understand peoples' disappointment, I thought that episode was absolutely incredible. Though I liked the show before, I was finally like, "ah, now we're getting into the meat of the story here." It's exactly the kind of episode I was expecting to come along but it managed to do it in a way I wasn't expecting.

[quote name='Brude' post='1728543' date='Mar 21 2009, 11.39']I don't understand peoples' disappointment, I thought that episode was absolutely incredible. Though I liked the show before, I was finally like, "ah, now we're getting into the meat of the story here." It's exactly the kind of episode I was expecting to come along but it managed to do it in a way I wasn't expecting.[/quote]

Agreed. Even if we expected some of the main reveals, I just wanted them revealed so it can move on. Now with those things revealed to us, they can be used to further the story which is exactly what I want. It was a pretty solid episode.

I really liked this episode. They explored some more reasons why people would hire a doll, the theme of exploitation, advanced the plot, revealed Mellie as a doll, tossed out some more mysteries (What is the real purpose of the Dollhouse? Who is the mole? Or is there even one? Upon reflection it almost seems that Echo was supposed to send Helo rushing home to Mellie...) and even made Helo a bit interesting. Finally he's no longer the least competent FBI agent on TV.

Is Helo like an ex-Navy Seal who went to Quantico after, or something? He's able to hold his own vs. a fully tricked-out Doll in a fight, and not just for his size - he's got skillz. They may have mentioned something about this in an earlier episode. FBI guys get good training, but they aren't supercops. Most of them are nerds, really - do their cop-work with their brains and not with guns.

Some possible moles:
[list]
[*]Topher
[*]the Asian girl he keeps treating like an intern but who is probably some sort of double PhD or MD/PhD
[*]the Doctor
[*]Olivia Williams' character who runs this particular Dollhouse? I think it's quite possible she's against the greater organization. I think her #2 is more of a company man - he keeps trying to play by the book but she keeps overruling him, doing things a bit outside the box. It could be just that she is running things because she's that kind of person - he is more of a heavy, but besides her he seems to be the only one at this Dollhouse who really knows the bigger story, whatever that is.
[/list]I loved the lines:
"You, played a good hand."
"No, I played a weak hand very well. There is a distinction."

Helo's ultimate fighting skills are somewhat annoying, but even with the most badass imprint the Dollhouse can cook up I'm not buying a woman of Eliza Dushku's size having much of a chance against a guy like Tamoh Penikett, so my suspension of disbelief was actually tested in the opposite direction.;) Besides, Echo clearly wasn't meant to beat him, just set him up.

[quote name='Brude' post='1728622' date='Mar 21 2009, 14.04']Is Helo like an ex-Navy Seal who went to Quantico after, or something? He's able to hold his own vs. a fully tricked-out Doll in a fight, and not just for his size - he's got skillz. They may have mentioned something about this in an earlier episode. FBI guys get good training, but they aren't supercops. Most of them are nerds, really - do their cop-work with their brains and not with guns.[/quote]

I don't know but you're right, he can definitely hold his own. I actually quite enjoy watching him fight. It's a lot of close quarter fighting which I like. It looks like a similar style to what Jason Bourne does.

[quote name='Brude' post='1728543' date='Mar 21 2009, 12.39']I don't understand peoples' disappointment, I thought that episode was absolutely incredible. Though I liked the show before, I was finally like, "ah, now we're getting into the meat of the story here." It's exactly the kind of episode I was expecting to come along but it managed to do it in a way I wasn't expecting.[/quote]

I agree. Plus, it was chock full of Whedon-speak. I really enjoyed it. I'm [i]really[/i] liking where the show is now going.

[quote name='Mexal']I actually quite enjoy watching him fight. It's a lot of close quarter fighting which I like.[/quote]

I remember that on the commentary to BSG's "wonderful" boxing episode it was mentioned that the actor has some background in kickboxing or some similar martial art, so at least he has a pretty good idea what he's doing. There's still no way he can take out three armed security guards, especially while recovering from a gunshot wound and after being hit with a taser.

Archived