Worldcon NYC-->Montreal Train Trip

Lucky Pierre

I thought it would be a good idea to get this out there for anyone/everyone that is planning on taking the train from NYC to Montreal for Worldcon 2009.

The plan is to take the train up on Wednesday August 5th. The train leaves NY Penn Station at 8:20am and arrives in Montreal at 7:10pm. The current fare is $62. Worldcon starts on Thursday, August 6th.

Again-the reason some of us are doing this is because the flights into/out of Montreal are much more expensive than flying into NYC-and we are planning to have a pre-con Party on the train going up.

Additionally some of us are planning on spending a few days in NYC before the train for sightseeing, etc. Sooo... There you go.

Who might be taking the train and/or spending any time in NYC beforehand?

If I go, I'm definitely planning on the train trip.

[quote name='pat5150' post='1688596' date='Feb 16 2009, 15.21']62$ oneway, or roundtrip? Because that's pretty cheap. . .

Patrick[/quote]
It's one-way.

I'm definitely in for the party train when I actually get around to booking my trip. Haven't been to NYC since I was embarrassingly young, so may be up for sightseeing as well. :)

I am considering spending a couple of days in NYC and joining the party train with you guys.

But I am not planning on coming back to NYC after the con, because I am considering spending some extra time in Canada before flying back to the UK. Might visit Toronto methinks.

Will let you know when I have arranged everything but thanks for the info LP

I can get one more room at the Marriott Marquis (Times Sq) for the time frame 8/2-8/5 at the rate of $269/+tax per night. The room has 1 King and 1 Sofa Sleeper so will sleep 4.

If anyone is interested I can hold the room NOW without a deposit-Just PM me and I will do that. I think we can cxl up to about a week out.

eta: I'm also not going back to NYC after the con... heading to either Florida or Chicago.

LP - if you're heading to Chicago from Montreal, you might like [url="http://www.flyporter.com"]Porter Airlines[/url]. My cousin flies them out of Toronto and cannot say enough good things about them. You'd have to route Mtl-TO-Chicago, but it's Toronto City island airport not the badly-signed Lester Pearson.

Not sure if you all plan to stay at the Marriott Times Square, but the [url="http://www.newyorkerhotel.com"]New Yorker Hotel[/url] near Penn Station had some not bad prices.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1698333' date='Feb 24 2009, 15.03']LP - if you're heading to Chicago from Montreal, you might like [url="http://www.flyporter.com"]Porter Airlines[/url]. My cousin flies them out of Toronto and cannot say enough good things about them. You'd have to route Mtl-TO-Chicago, but it's Toronto City island airport not the badly-signed Lester Pearson.

Not sure if you all plan to stay at the Marriott Times Square, but the [url="http://www.newyorkerhotel.com"]New Yorker Hotel[/url] near Penn Station had some not bad prices.[/quote]

I stayed at the New Yorker last year...I think I got bed bugs there :(

Since I don't really know where I will need to be after the con-I just booked a 1 way back to Florida. I'll need a little time to recuperate anyway and can fly back out on Tuesday if need be.

eta: I am holding the 2nd room. Might as well and if we don't need it I can cxl the reservation without penalty.

[quote name='Lany Cassandra' post='1698684' date='Feb 24 2009, 18.23']I stayed at the New Yorker last year...I think I got bed bugs there :([/quote]
Ugh! No wonder they're offering specials. :(

If you don't mind sharing a room and you'd like to be among an international crowd, you should check out the Jazz on the Park hostel. Stayed there two years in a row, and it was something like 27$ a night. Don't miss the bar crawl. . . ;)

Patrick

Archived