I hit a guy in the mouth today.

Meili

[quote name='Meili' post='1702274' date='Feb 27 2009, 12.00']True. But he's tellingg the story with a hell of a black eye and a raging headache. This might solve nothing but if I see him again, maybe he'll streer clear. Or want round two, who knows.[/quote]

That says it right there you won congratulations (that's what you want to hear right?)

[quote name='Mya Stone' post='1702179' date='Feb 27 2009, 10.30']I agree with this.

As a mother to a toddler now, I can understand the anger of someone closing a door on your child. But accidents happen, and when people are in a hurry they tend not to look down for little people. What followed that was inexcusable. He was a complete asshole, yes. I understand your anger.

What happened next is where I take issue: your daughter seemed to be okay...you hit him only after you assessed the situation with your daughter; but you say someone else was with her, whereas I would want to be the one to comfort her, especially since it seems she was shaken up. Instead, you continue on with this asshole, who deserved a few words, it's true, but not a punch. Especially in front of your children. I know, right now you seem really cool and badass to them, but what happens in school when they're playing on the playground and your eldest gets accidentally pushed over by a child who's in a hurry to get to the swings? Is she going to hit them because she got hurt first (even if it was an accident?)? It's a slippery slope you've started, and you need to talk with them about it, because retaliation isn't always the best response. It takes a bigger person to walk away, and you've shown them the opposite.[/quote]

You're also a doormat, sweetie. I love you anyway. :P

[quote name='Crazydog7' post='1702303' date='Feb 27 2009, 11.29']That says it right there you won congratulations (that's what you want to hear right?)[/quote]
A sarcastic comment deserves one, so yes. I hope he got jackup up.

So, today at QT, right, I'm leaving, and this other guy is walking in. He's going in one door, I'm going out the other. As I let the door go, I hear someone start crying. Turns out the guy had a little kid he wasn't looking after properly, and the door had hit her arm. As I turn around to discover this, before I can even apologize, the dude gets in my face and screams "What the FUCK, dude, you didn't see her?"

I clearly hadn't seen her, she was tiny and under my line of vision, and I was going to apologize, but now this dick cheese is all up in my face as if I've done something horrible on purpose. So I just say, "chill out, dude, there's no law you've got to hold the door for kids". A bit stupid, I know, but the guy was attacking me like I'd knowingly slammed the door on his kid. Instead of letting it go, he gets even closer and says "What the fuck did you just say?" Now, at this point, I've had it. The guy is smaller than me, so I'm feeling pretty confident he's all mouth, so I jab my finger in his chest and calmly say "you heard me. You got a problem with that?" As I expected, he just stammered "no man, no problem" and backed off. I shrugged and smiled to myself and turned away. As I was in the process of turning away, though, this douchebag throws a complete suckerpunch. He hits me right in the temple, so I black out for a second, and take my time getting up. As I'm doing it, I can hear him standing over me, yelling "take that, you fucking hillbilly" and "not so tough now, are you?", but by the time I get up, he's ran off.

What do you guys think? Should I track him down and sue him for assault and battery?

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1702335' date='Feb 27 2009, 12.58']What do you guys think? Should I track him down and sue him for assault and battery?[/quote]
No, you are obviously the worse man in this situation - jesus, getting your tits lit up by some smaller guy, you should hang your head in shame. You should watch out if you see him again (if you remember what the guy even looks like), you may try to apologize and when you turn to walk away or ignore him entirely, get hit again.

[quote name='Meili' post='1702271' date='Feb 27 2009, 18.58']To calm him down. He seemed about to hit me so I played possom and then got him when the tension lowered.[/quote]

Yes, that totally does not contrast with earlier statements about how the details ain't so clear and it is all a little fuzzy and my oh my it went so fast.

Just admit you feel pretty damn good about taking the guy out, that you got a nice little testosterone boost for doing so and feel pretty badass about it. That'd be honest at least.

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1702137' date='Feb 27 2009, 08.26']Meili, I think you were way out of line, and I have a two-year old too, of whom I am very protective too. The other guy was a real jerk, but so are lots of random strangers. You don't get to sucker-punch them to vent your anger.

First of all, [b]the safety of your two-year old in going through a door, or anywhere else, is YOUR responsibility.[/b] You don't assume that someone else is holding the door for them, or stopping their car for them. Toddlers are below the radar for most people. It is not unusual for them to go unnoticed by other adults. If a guy had tripped over your child as they wandered unattended around a corner of the store, that would have been your fault too. You don't get to punch that guy either.
Thirdly, even if you were completely in the right, then [b]starting a fight that could scare or harm your kids, and at the very least teaches them the wrong way to act, was more parental negligence.[/b][/quote]

Amen, Isk.

I am also the father of a two year old. She runs into shit all the damn time. Trips over everything. It's my job to protect her. Not necessarily from assholes, but from the physical world that she doesn't quite understand yet.

I can accept that some asshole wouldn't take responsibility for not watching out for your kid. But that's not his job. it's yours. Chances are, if you're anything like me, you were mad at yourself for not seeing it was going to happen and protecting her.

Fact is, there's no way in hell that not simply saying "no problem" and leaving wouldn't have been the smarter, safer and more responsible thing for a parent to do. Period. All this "I had to show them I was no pussy" is just you justifying your own very stupid actions.

And seriously, any parent that would applaud you, I ask - would you let this guy babysit your kid? Personally, I wouldn't want you anywhere near mine.

[quote]Completely agree- it's not boxing world championship. It's a fight. No rules apply.[/quote]No, a fight is when you're actually, you know, [i]fighting[/i]. When someone pokes you and then you punch them when they weren't expecting it and then walk away, that's not a fight.

[quote name='Balefont' post='1702310' date='Feb 27 2009, 12.37']You're also a doormat, sweetie. I love you anyway. :P[/quote]

Yeah, whatever. I'm getting better at not being one. I still think it's fucked up what transpired, for both "ubermen" were in the wrong...and you know what 2 wrongs make.

Blaine, I wouldn't let him watch Mav, either.

[quote]To calm him down. He seemed about to hit me so I played possom and then got him when the tension lowered.[/quote]I also love this.

So either things were in the heat of the moment and you punched him, or you were able to calmly assess the situation, realize that you were out of danger, and then attacked him after his guard was down and there was no need to escalate.

Nice! I can totally see why Bale respects you - you totally ninjaed the fuck out of him.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1702401' date='Feb 27 2009, 13.41']Nice! I can totally see why Bale respects you - you totally ninjaed the fuck out of him.[/quote]

Hey, I never said I respected him.

'Sides, I more than likely have engaged the guy at "the poke".

[quote]'Sides, I more than likely have engaged the guy at "the poke".[/quote]And that's why you're a n00b ninja in training. You should instead distract him with a crying child (bonus points if it's not even yours), act weak, let him close effective killing distance and then TEMPORAL PUNCH!

Then walk away and assume the disguise of an elderly hispanic woman who just got off her cleaning position and is waiting patiently for a bus.

Wow. I know I wouldn't have hit the guy. If I had a kid in this situation, my first priority would be my kid.

The guy sounded like he was probably a dick, but that's no justification for escalating things to the point where you felt the need to punch the guy. I think there's nothing wrong with being non-confrontational in a situation like this, and if this was at all about your ego and not about your kids, then there probably wasn't only one dick involved in this situation.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1702408' date='Feb 27 2009, 13.45']And that's why you're a n00b ninja in training. You should instead distract him with a crying child (bonus points if it's not even yours), act weak, let him close effective killing distance and then TEMPORAL PUNCH![/quote]

Kal, why can I totally see you throwing an airpunch yelling TEMPORAL PUNCH! full force?? The visual just gave me the giggles. :lol:

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1702408' date='Feb 27 2009, 20.45']And that's why you're a n00b ninja in training. You should instead distract him with a crying child (bonus points if it's not even yours), act weak, let him close effective killing distance and then TEMPORAL PUNCH!

Then walk away and assume the disguise of an elderly hispanic woman who just got off her cleaning position and is waiting patiently for a bus.[/quote]

Yes, but what would you warp the children into? Two dustbins?

Yes, you overreacted. As others have pointed out, your anger is understandable, but you crossed a line with the punch.

Asking him "Would it have killed you to hold the door open for a little girl?" avoids cussing him, it avoids picking a fight, and it shames him in front of witnesses; and it addresses his behavior. There's no insult there, just a question that he either has to answer, avoid, or skulk away from. If you'd kept your head, the confrontation wouldn't have had to escalate into his poking you in the chest (by which point, it's true, you either had to back down or continue escalating it).

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1702335' date='Feb 27 2009, 12.58']What do you guys think? Should I track him down and sue him for assault and battery?[/quote]

:lol: Nice job. If that were for real, [i]sure[/i] you could sue for assault and battery, for tort damages even, but your lawyer's going to have a hell of a hard time selecting parents off the jury. Not to mention the other side will probably come up with a few witnesses (like store employees) who'll testify that you were being a dick before the other guy even said anything, i.e. "he just had this look on his face like he was annoying by the screaming and was going to be an asshole" [i]plus[/i] your comments afterwards about there being no rule that you have to hold the door for kids both (a) makes you look like a dick and (b) indicates that you were not operating under any reasonable person standard should the defendant decide to file suit against [i]you[/i] for negligence for the injuries to his daughter in hopes of making you drop [i]your[/i] suit. Your lawyer would be supremely annoyed at you for having said that. In the end, you might end up having to pay the other guy to settle.

So, you know, sure you could try, but as they say in law, bad facts, man, bad facts.

Archived