The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

I'm not sure if I read this following passage correctly.

"You do not know his strength. He's been gathering men on Pyke. Orkwood of Orkmont brought him twenty longships, and Pinchface Jon Myre a dozen. Left-Hand Lucas Codd is with them. And Harren Half-Hoare, the Red Oarsman, Kemmett Pyke the Bastard, Rodrik Freeborn, Torwold Browntooth . . ."
"Men of small account." Asha knew them, every one. "The sons of salt wives, the grandsons of thralls. The Codds . . . do you know their words?"
"Though All Men Do Despise Us," Tris said, "but if they catch you in those nets of theirs, you'll be as dead as if they had been dragonlords. And there's worse. The Crow's Eye brought back monsters from the east . . . aye, and wizards too."

A Feast for Crows - The Kraken's Daughter

Is House Codd despised/looked down by the other nobles ironborn because

1) they are descendants of salt wives and thralls like the others cited by Asha here

or 2) there is another reason ?

In ADWD Theon also reflects on House Codd's status.

The Codds were not well regarded in the Iron Islands; the men were said to be thieves and cowards, the women wantons who bedded with their own fathers and brothers. It did not surprise him that his uncle had chosen to leave these men behind when the Iron Fleet went home. This will make my task that much easier.

A Dance with Dragons - Reek II

It seems that Answer 2 is the correct one. But Answer 1 could still be correct too, thoughts ?

21 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

It seems that Answer 2 is the correct one. But Answer 1 could still be correct too, thoughts ?

I'm thinking that #2 is correct as well.

Regarding the Farwyds, the Damphair thinks,

Aeron knew some Farwynds, a queer folk who held lands on the westernmost shores of Great Wyk and the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household. Of those, the Lonely Light was the most distant, eight days' sail to the northwest amongst rookeries of seals and sea lions and the boundless grey oceans.

The Map of the Iron Islands in TWOIAF has "Sealskin Point" written above the northern shore of Great Wyk. Do we think this is referring to the large peninsula making up the north of the isle, or the smaller peninsula jutting from its northwest? The latter makes more sense to me considering Aeron's thoughts.

Also, which would be preferred as a location map for places in the Iron Islands?

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:Location_map_Iron_Islands.svg  - includes the Lonely Light, but has fewer details

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:Iron_Islands.jpg - greater detail, but lacks the Lonely Light and has some misspellings

Something regarding the succession module on the bottom of the pages: Each of the lords Darklyn, Rosby, and Stokeworth during the Dance had an unnamed successor who was brought to King's Landing in 131 AC on the order of Aegon II. While these successors don't have a page on their own (and I'm not sure they need one), it's a bit confusing to have Denys Darklyn, Gyles Rosby, and Tanda Stokeworth as the next known heads of their houses.

39 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Something regarding the succession module on the bottom of the pages: Each of the lords Darklyn, Rosby, and Stokeworth during the Dance had an unnamed successor who was brought to King's Landing in 131 AC on the order of Aegon II. While these successors don't have a page on their own (and I'm not sure they need one), it's a bit confusing to have Denys Darklyn, Gyles Rosby, and Tanda Stokeworth as the next known heads of their houses.

The Nymeria and Mors Martell articles show "Daughter, then Mors II Martell" but I think this solution would be very awkward if applied to people who have multiple unnamed successors in between ("Lord Darklyn, then Lord Darklyn, then Lord Darklyn..." -- all non-existent articles). Maybe another parameter option can be added to {{s-vac}} with a different wording than "next known." In navigational boxes it's best to present information as succinctly as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

The currrent COA for Tommard Heddle is incorrect. It now shows a winged green demon on black, but in the source for the COA, the graphic novel of the Mystery Knight its a winged green demon on dark brown unpainted wood.

I do not have the skills to change this so i hope someone who does will do that.

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

@Ran

Keeper of the Keys, King's Counter, Warden of the King's Mint, and King's Scales contain information from this page. Can the information in the articles be considered semi-canon or should it be removed?

Pretty sure Blood of Dragons is not semi-canon. Semi-canon is info about ASOIAF that is given by GRRM outside the books.

6 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

@Ran

Keeper of the Keys, King's Counter, Warden of the King's Mint, and King's Scales contain information from this page. Can the information in the articles be considered semi-canon or should it be removed?

Not any kind of canon, no. We worked out those details ourselves for the game, with no input from George. 

Do we consider the new characters and heraldry in the Dunk and Egg graphic novels to be canon in any way? They're currently presented as such on the wiki.

43 minutes ago, Potsk said:

Do we consider the new characters and heraldry in the Dunk and Egg graphic novels to be canon in any way? They're currently presented as such on the wiki.

If you mean the participants at Ashford, Elio once said that they all come from GRRM himself.

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

Yep, George came up with all of it. The only arms he didn't invent were those that he graciously allowed his collaborators to create for the knights representing themselves.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:35 AM, Ran said:

Not any kind of canon, no. We worked out those details ourselves for the game, with no input from George. 

That's a shame because the information presented here is pretty cool and it would flesh out nicely the little tidbits we known of the organisation of the royal household/the Crown's offices from the books.

15 minutes ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

That's a shame because the information presented here is pretty cool and it would flesh out nicely the little tidbits we known of the organisation of the royal household/the Crown's offices from the books.

Yeah. We proposed at some point for TWoIaF a section on the organization of the crown and royal household, but as I recall George didn't think anyone would find it interesting. I mean, he wasn't wrong, stuff that hints as stories and narratives are far more interesting, but... there would be some people who would be interested!

27 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah. We proposed at some point for TWoIaF a section on the organization of the crown and royal household, but as I recall George didn't think anyone would find it interesting. I mean, he wasn't wrong, stuff that hints as stories and narratives are far more interesting, but... there would be some people who would be interested!

That would have fit nicely in the appendices, though I wouldn't have minded a section in the main body either. I don't think anyone regrets Tolkien's decision to open LOTR with an essay on tobacco in hobbit culture. It's the little things that make a fantasy world immersive.

11 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

The wiki says that the dragon Morning hatched either in late 129 AC or in 130 AC. The first time she is mentioned is at the beginning of 131 AC, though, so I'm not sure why the wiki doesn't consider this date an option, as well.

As far as i can tell its because the beginning of 131 is when the greens heard about Morning, but the actual hatching happened some time before that. 

I guess it depends on how fast the greens heard about it and i do not have my copy of F&B at hand right now to check the wording.